It is currently Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultimate Go - very simple, yet solving the free teire issue
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:23 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
I would love to get feedback on a proposed ruleset called "Ultimate Go" (see [ https://senseis.xmp.net/?UltimateGo ]) which is:

(1) Extremely simple - actually based (as I found out at some point) on "no-pass Go with prisoner return", so e.g. "score" is only implicit from the rules.

(2) Solves the "free teire" issue, i.e. at the end of a tight game players don't get to play reinforcement moves "for free" (regardless of dame parity). By that I mean every such teire move *will* affect the "score", or more precisely will affect the win\lose status of the game given any updated "Komi".

The solution via the device of an "ultimate prisoner", which signals the transition to an unofficial "counting phase" of the game, introduces only a slight complication to the rules.

This post by Yoav Yaffe was liked by: ElomKW

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Go - very simple, yet solving the free teire is
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:10 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 135
Was liked: 2
OGS: Elom hmW K
Universal go server handle: Elom, Windnwater
I really like the elegant idea of implicity over adding a myriad of special case rules, especially how these added rules may be implied, through the notion of pure capture, sounds to be an especially beautiful idea!. Hopefully go servers will add it for us to try. I'm not as sharp as I once was so anything to do with formal rulesets or endgame evaluation goes over my head (when I was younger I'd be eager and able to process them), but let me try harder here . . .