All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time Ko
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:08 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 135
Was liked: 2
OGS: Elom hmW K
Universal go server handle: Elom, Windnwater
One is to switch to standard mathematical grid notation with 0,0 at the origin. Although in standard mathematical grid notation we probably should write out the positive sign just as we do the negative. We ought to stop teaching counting to children as something used to count objects and rather as the counting of space. This also implies that in the question of how something was created from nothing in the multiverse, there was simply space and direction, and space moving in one direction created matter, and space moving in an opposite direction created antimatter

The second is another thing I've strongly implied, but I realise. I keep forgetting when I haven't actually said something yet. To add the dimension of to the board coordinates. Instead a superko rule in go, instead of a fifty-move rule in chess, you could just have a maximum total time per game and have the score counted as soon as that time elapses.

Post subject: Re: Time Ko
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
ElomKW wrote:
Instead a superko rule in go, instead of a fifty-move rule in chess, you could just have a maximum total time per game and have the score counted as soon as that time elapses.

This makes some problems. I have seen lightinng games where both players are very short of time. Play started playing very fast and the position got messed.

Post subject: Re: Time Ko
Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 135
Was liked: 2
OGS: Elom hmW K
Universal go server handle: Elom, Windnwater
Counting a separate date and then time . . . I'l mention in Taking Logic Further why this is unhealthy.

I now use TGC whenever possible. If I want to refer to date it's DGC. Greg's March 1st 2020 midnight is the beginning of my calendar, the time 00;00;00;00:00:00.00 which is Zero years, zero months, zero days, zero hours, zero seconds point zero zero seconds. The date however would be 1st year, 1st month, 1st day, 1st hour, 1st minute, 1st second, 1st tenth of a second, and so on.

Matti wrote:
ElomKW wrote:
Instead a superko rule in go, instead of a fifty-move rule in chess, you could just have a maximum total time per game and have the score counted as soon as that time elapses.

This makes some problems. I have seen lightinng games where both players are very short of time. Play started playing very fast and the position got messed.

That's a good point! Although I don't think it changes much whether there is a set game time. If you have a set number of moves fischer essentially amounts to that. Which is why I like saying 'Okay, 360 moves, at a second per move that's six minutes total game time at three minutes each, so I then double the total game time with three minutes plus a second increment each, now the total game time is twelve minutes'.

And it also seems basing the position on moves that have been played, not stones moved, making sense since counting is based on the board position after the game ends not after the stones are rearranged to make it easier.