It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Taking notes during play
Post #21 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 71
Was liked: 27
How would it change? If I write my thoughts on the size of a group (which we both may well disagree on) or whether some tricky situation might in fact be dead I am just cluing my opponent on my thinking, which entirely defeats the purpose of any and all note-taking. I don't see how using a paper extension of your own memory necessarily changes the nature of the game. It's still your own private thoughts, just with a little reminder.

Post #22 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I think taking notes is very different from the nature of the game. When two people play go the only equipment are the board and stones. Over time as people wanted to improve, they would record games to ask others where they could get better. The intent is not to use paper and pencil for anything but game recording.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Zombie wrote:
How would it change? If I write my thoughts on the size of a group (which we both may well disagree on) or whether some tricky situation might in fact be dead I am just cluing my opponent on my thinking, which entirely defeats the purpose of any and all note-taking. I don't see how using a paper extension of your own memory necessarily changes the nature of the game. It's still your own private thoughts, just with a little reminder.

Do you think people should be allowed to play out the game on a second board, as well?

Post #24 Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Zombie wrote:
The relevant parts of note-taking rules from Magic Tournament Rules. Seem pretty ok for Go in my opinion if note-taking is to be allowed. What do you think?

I would be wary of drawing parallels here. Go is a perfect information game. Magic, by design, is not.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 41
KGS: KoDream
IGS: SmoothOper
jts wrote:
Zombie wrote:

Do you think people should be allowed to play out the game on a second board, as well?

Yes, but only if the board is a tattoo and the stones are pocket lint.

This post by SmoothOper was liked by: Phelan

Post #26 Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 353
Was liked: 107
GD Posts: 460
Next time I will have some colored rings on my fingers. I'll turn them to represent the score of the groups. Right hand my own groups, one finger each. Left hand the opp's.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 26
Was liked: 18
KGS: Annihilist
IGS: Annihilist
DGS: Ubermensch
Kaya handle: Annihilist
oren wrote:
Keeping notes with pencil and paper seem like a bad crutch to start using. It's best to just keep things in your head. Paper and pencil is generally allowed in order for people to record games.
I agree. You develop the ability to memorise notes better if you keep track in your head, and good habits become second nature over time.