All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re:
Post #21 Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
EdLee wrote:
snorri wrote:
We don't do komi = 0.5, which would change the winner.
snorri, this is exactly my confusion. When komi = 0.0, and when komi = 0.5, Chinese scoring and Japanese scoring give different winners (for the above final board position).

Yes, this is a general issue. With no komi, black has one more point than white in 1/2 of games (dame polarity). And whenever white has a fixed komi, black will still have one more point under area scoring than under territory scoring in 1/2 of games. But in fact, China has historically tended to offer one more point of komi (well, an extra 0.5 zi) in komi than the Japanese and Koreans do, so in practice it is white who has an extra point in 1/2 of games when people use area rules.

In effect, white's extra pass under AGA rules is a way to give back one point of the Chinese-style 7.5 komi (if I understand correctly). I'm sure I will swiftly corrected by someone who is better at arithmetic...

Post subject: Re: Question regarding AGA vs Territory/Area scoring
Post #22 Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:33 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
ez4u wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Similar position in chilled go ( http://senseis.xmp.net/?ChilledGo ).

Chilled go has a similar relation to territory go as territory go has to area go. In area go every stone of yours on the board counts for you; in chilled go every stone of yours on the board counts against you.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc Chilled go jigo
$$--------------
$$ | . X X . O |
$$ | X X O X O |
$$ | . X O O O |
$$ | X X O . O |
$$ | . X . O . |
$$--------------[/go]

The Japanese dame on the bottom side is no-man's-land. Neither player will play there, because to do so would lose a point. The position in the top right is the chilled go equivalent of a dame, called a star.

[go]$$Bc Black plays
$$--------------
$$ | . X X 1 O |
$$ | X X O B O |
$$ | . X O O O |
$$ | X X O . O |
$$ | . X . O . |
$$--------------[/go]

If :b1: saves the :bc: stone, Black will have one more pt. of territory than White, but will have one more stone on the board, for jigo.

[go]$$Wc White plays
$$--------------
$$ | . X X 1 O |
$$ | X X O B O |
$$ | . X O O O |
$$ | X X O . O |
$$ | . X . O . |
$$--------------[/go]

If :w1: captures the :bc: stone, play will end and the :bc: stone will be used to fill in the Black territory.

[go]$$Bc Jigo
$$--------------
$$ | B X X O O |
$$ | X X O . O |
$$ | . X O O O |
$$ | X X O . O |
$$ | . X . O . |
$$--------------[/go]

White has one more pt. of territory than Black, but has one more stone on the board than Black, for jigo.

The player who on the last play of the game takes a star in chilled go for jigo wins by territory scoring, and the player who on the last play of the game fills a dame in territory go wins by area scoring. :)

Isn't the ability to refuse to fill in the last dame on C1 what produces the the difference in this case?

The Japanese dame makes jigo possible for this kind of position. :)

Quote:
If the players had to fill in the dame at the end of the game, would this revert to territory (or AGA or something)?

If there were no kos or super kos, then you could view territory go as a form of area go, and chilled go as a form of territory go. Then if you won chilled go you would win territory go, and you would also win jigo if you got the last move. And if you won territory go you would win area go, and if you got the last move in jigo in territory go you would also win area go.

If you make them a form of no pass go (so that somebody would have to fill the Japanese dame), then they become different phases of the same game, and you could stop play at the stage of chilled go and score the game. The trouble is, the score at that stage may have fractions. To get integers you have to continue to territory go.

And, as we know, beginner problems aside, kos that are not resolved at the level of territory go can cause rules headaches. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: ez4u

Post #23 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
My understanding of scoring differences between area and territory scoring are that originally, group tax aside, go was scored using territory scoring, with the caveat that both sides had to play an equal number of plays. Passing was not a move, but games ended when players agreed they were done.

In China, it was decided that counting by area was easier to do and was equivalent to the old scoring, so this change didn't affect the scores.

In Japan, territory scoring was brought over with go originally, but the rule requiring that both players play equal numbers of stones was at some point lost (similar to the change to an empty board at the beginning from cross-hoshi). You will notice than in the example given, if both players are required to play an equal number of moves, white's last move fills in a point of white's territory, returning to the same result as with area scoring.

AGA-style territory scoring restores the requirement for both players to play an equal number of stones. Incidentally, it also counts eyes in seki, like chinese rules, but that's a different topic.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
ppl think that the result will differ by only one point but!
i can give you examples of same game that the result differ by more than 10 points.

correct me if i am wrong... in chinese rule territories in seki can be converted into points.
in japanese rule it is all dame.
as a result it is possible to have different result differ by multiple points.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #25 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Magicwand wrote:
i can give you examples of same game that the result differ by more than 10 points.

correct me if i am wrong... in chinese rule territories in seki can be converted into points.
in japanese rule it is all dame.
as a result it is possible to have different result differ by multiple points.

This is true, but situations where there are sekis and one side has more points in eyes in seki than the other seem like they would be pretty rare.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:13 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Magicwand wrote:

so you'd better be sure which rule set you're using before you start playing.

This post by xed_over was liked by: dumbrope

Post #27 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
DrStraw wrote:
Japanese rules have worked since before the USA was even populated by westerners

In this case, "Japanese rules" refers to rules with the concept of perfect hypothetical play. Since this concept relies on arbitrarily great finite or infinite numbers of hypothetical sequences and decisions, not the Japanese rules themselves have worked, but the illusion of approximating them by verbal means.

Quote:
I played my first tournament in 1974. I have yet to play a single game where there has been an issue by playing Japanese rules.

In this case, probably "Japanese rules" refers to a Western verbal approximisation ("verbal Japanese rules"), which does not or not as seriously care about the concept of perfect hypothetical play. So if you did not meet beginners with difficulties to understand such rules or tournament players insisting on (too) strict rules application, your experience has been possible for you.

amnal wrote:
In the end, all of the debate is about stuff that rarely happens anyway.

Citing Thatcher: "No, no, no, no!" The core of the debate is the insistance of professional style Japanese rules with their concept of perfect hypothetical play and its arbitrarily great finite or infinite numbers of hypothetical sequences and decisions. They happen for EACH game end position (regardless of whether the players mention or forgo them in practice).

Post #28 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:31 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Robert, go is an oriental game. You really need to stop thinking of it with an occidental mentality. You lose most of the fascination with it when you do that. It is like trying to understand Buddhism or Hinduism from a monotheistic point of view.

Slow down and look at the trees instead of spending all your time trying to count the leaves.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:47 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 14
DrStraw wrote:
Robert, go is an oriental game.

It is interesting that you didn't say a Japanese game. For the AGA to have its own ruleset is in some sense less political than taking sides. We have Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, and others in our tournaments. At least they are all equally confused. :)

This post by dumbrope was liked by: Bonobo

Post #30 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:05 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Correct, I did not same Japanese. Oriental culture in general tends to be a little more vague (sometimes much more) than occidental, and that is part of its attraction.

Post #31 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 pm 
Dies with sente

I think some people underestimate the advantage of being able to count either by territory or area. I have had to use area scoring a few times in tournaments: once, to resolve a dispute with a player who claimed to have won but "misplaced" his captures, and other times with children who absentmindedly throw their captures in my bowl. The fact that in these situations it is possible to resolve the issue without calling a TD is an advantage.

If you don't know how to count by area, learn it. It's good for your soul and you never know when you might need it. You can look at Eddie Kim's video for an example.

This post by dumbrope was liked by: xed_over

Post #32 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:13 pm 
Dies with sente

DrStraw wrote:
Correct, I did not same Japanese. Oriental culture in general tends to be a little more vague (sometimes much more) than occidental, and that is part of its attraction.

Westerners can be plenty vague.

Post #33 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 pm 
Oza

Dumb,

I learned area counting almost 40 years ago. And sure, westerners can be vague, but it is not the primary modus operandi of western culture.

Post #34 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:04 pm 
Dies with sente

DrStraw wrote:
Dumb,

I learned area counting almost 40 years ago. And sure, westerners can be vague, but it is not the primary modus operandi of western culture.

Oh, I'm sure in your case you did learn area counting. You weren't the audience for that comment. But I've run into too many people who haven't.

I suppose I'm odd in the sense that I liked go before I was interested in any Asian culture. Actually, to be honest, the order I as recall was:

1. Asian women
2. Asian languages
3. Go
4. Asian culture

I'm married now, so I'll downplay #1 on principle at this point, but I'm still working on the last 3. I'm not sure I've seen vagueness as a differentiating characteristic in popular culture at least. Maybe in some areas, like religion, etc. I don't think of RJ as a typical Westerner or a typical anything, so I don't think he's westernizing his approach to go as much as RJifying it.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #35 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:24 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
jts wrote:
In effect, white's extra pass under AGA rules is a way to give back one point of the Chinese-style 7.5 komi (if I understand correctly). I'm sure I will swiftly corrected by someone who is better at arithmetic...

I don't know whether the "dame polarity" you mention is statistically correct. My personal experience is that it's close enough to a 50-50 chance of who gets the last dame. But your point is good. I think some players see the 7.5 komi used in AGA and think it's high, but they aren't taking to account that maybe half the time white's going to have to give up a net extra prisoner, so it's not as high as it seems...

This post by snorri was liked by: xed_over

Post #36 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 19
KGS: Mages
Tygem: Mages
IGS: Mage
Online playing schedule: Weekends.
dumbrope wrote:
If you don't know how to count by area, learn it. It's good for your soul and you never know when you might need it. You can look at Eddie Kim's video for an example.

:D

I developed an aversion to "area scoring" when I was taught it some time ago, and never learnt it properly. I may now have to pick it up....

Post #37 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 63
DrStraw wrote:
Oriental culture in general tends to be a little more vague (sometimes much more) than occidental, and that is part of its attraction.

Well at least, I've never ever seen a single Korean discussing or maybe arguing with baduk rules, although a baduk teacher might say,
1. prisoners are your points
2. cannot take ko right after the opponent's take
3. no points in seki
4. draw when a position has to repeat forever, like in multiple kos or eternal life

and what else to complain?

Below is my question separate from above.

So in Area scoring, the score difference must be in odd points, then why should the komi be 7.5 with the point five? Isn't it equivalent in result with komi 8? which seems somewhat more sensible to me.

Post #38 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:22 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 788
MJK wrote:
I've never ever seen a single Korean discussing or maybe arguing with baduk rules

The good news is: just recently, I have discussed about rules with an influential Korean for 3 hours. They are interested not only in Western pairing programs but also in Western input for the sake of correcting their own rules, because they have realised that they cannot solve this problem alone. More later.

Post #39 Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:24 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 63
RobertJasiek wrote:
MJK wrote:
I've never ever seen a single Korean discussing or maybe arguing with baduk rules

The good news is: just recently, I have discussed about rules with an influential Korean for 3 hours. They are interested not only in Western pairing programs but also in Western input for the sake of correcting their own rules, because they have realised that they cannot solve this problem alone. More later.

Also a good news to me. ^^

Post #40 Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
MJK wrote:
So in Area scoring, the score difference must be in odd points, then why should the komi be 7.5 with the point five? Isn't it equivalent in result with komi 8? which seems somewhat more sensible to me.

The difference is odd, except if there is an odd number of shared liberties in seki. E.g. if you have a seki of two groups with one eye each and one shared liberty. The shared liberty counts for neither player, so then the difference is even.

Ing rules do in fact specify the komi as 8, but with the proviso that black wins in case of ties.