It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Commentary on the Korean 2013 Rules
Post #41 Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:58 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 19
Cassandra wrote:
Within the given context, "repetition" must refer to the complete "state" of the game. This "state" does not only include the visible board-position, but also the captured stones. To declare a "repetition", the difference of captured stones must be the same with both visible board-positions.

Do you mean something like sending-2-returning-1 ?
If so then it wouldn't prevent the opponent to play a capture sequence elsewhere. As far I can see the only problem this can cause is that the hypo-sequence doesn't end with two passes.

Post #42 Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Cassandra wrote:
To declare a "repetition", the difference of captured stones must be the same with both visible board-positions.

You need not count removed stones, but it suffices to count passes and detect if a cycle is positional / situational:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?CycleLaw

Post #43 Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:16 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
According to Martin Stiassny in Deutsche Go-Zeitung 5/2013, the 4th Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games Incheon 2013 were the first such event with Go. Hence, for earlier such events, one need not clarify which Go rules they might have used: none.

Post #44 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:11 am 
Dies with sente

RobertJasiek wrote:
[In his commentary]
Matti Siivola has found an extremely rare seki shape with a group without any neutral point. See his webpage for the example.

I've looked at his webpage but couldn't find this example. However I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you mean with "seki shape without neutral points" so maybe I just couldn't identify that shape.
Can you show (a link to) that example or explain the principle, please?

Post #45 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
asura wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
[In his commentary]
Matti Siivola has found an extremely rare seki shape with a group without any neutral point. See his webpage for the example.

I've looked at his webpage but couldn't find this example. However I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you mean with "seki shape without neutral points" so maybe I just couldn't identify that shape.

See http://www.suomigo.net/wiki/KimuranttiAsema.

This post by Matti was liked by: asura

Post #46 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 am 
Dies with sente

Interesting position. Thank you for the link!

When both really pass there:

In J1989 all w stones should be dead (imo), no matter if b already has a stone at 'a'.

In Asian Game Rules 2013 (though I need to study this rules more) I'd say without a b stone at 'a' its 4-4 points, but with a b stone at 'a' I'd say it's 5-4 points in w favor.

Post #47 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:29 am 
Lives in gote

I know. In J1989 rules white should throw in a stone and give up one point to save the situation.

Post #48 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:36 am 
Dies with sente

I see. Cannot understand what you have written there, but because of the link to j2003 I guess it's related to that rule.

Post #49 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:07 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 153
Cassandra wrote:
asura wrote:
Have you thought about the comments (and implications) to the long-life in the official commentary?
I slightly recall that I found a deeper problem with this but I never was able to create a position that shows it - maybe I just saw a ghost - and atm I cannot remember my thinking about.

To be honest, I have not thought about it really hard.

However, in my opinion, the comment (referring to "repetition" >>> "no result") is somewhat incomplete.

Hello, asura,

In another context, I had to think about this example again.

Now, I am afraid that the result, which is given in the official commentary, is not correct, at least it is not consistent within the given environment.

The official comment does not mention the single White stone, but White's four-stone group alone.
It is true that White's four-stone group cannot be captured during the long-life cycle, started by Black's Atari on the first line.

However, White's single stone on the right becomes captured every fourth move, so White will be unable to establish a permanent stone on this point. It follows that this stone cannot be called "unconditionally alive".

Black's ten-stone group is not completely surrounded by White stones that are "unconditionally alive", so it may be "dead", but must not be taken off the board at the end of the game. The whole position will become a Seki !!!

Igo Hatsuyōron #120 (really solved by KataGo)

Post #50 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:11 pm 
Dies with sente

Cassandra wrote:
The official comment does not mention the single White stone, but White's four-stone group alone.
It is true that White's four-stone group cannot be captured during the long-life cycle, started by Black's Atari on the first line.
However, White's single stone on the right becomes captured every fourth move, so White will be unable to establish a permanent stone on this point. It follows that this stone cannot be called "unconditionally alive".

I remember I made the same thinking once. :)
However here the commentary is right, because when the four white stones get analysed the single w stone does not matter at all.
The single w stone needs its own analysis: There are two possibilities:
1) If b plays at 'a' then w can give up the 4 stones and captures the single b stone (and the single w stone is alive).
2) If b captures the single w stone directly then w plays 'a' and all b stones will die.

Post #51 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Bill Spight wrote:
Thank you, Robert, for the links to the rules texts. It really helps. :)

Edit: Hmmm. It looks like these rules are a variant of the Ing rules.

Brief comment:

"The number of liberties of a contiguous group is the sum of liberties of each stone in the group" (p. 5).

That statement is false, and they even give an example without noticing that.

These stones together have 7 liberties. The D-16 stone has 2 liberties, the D-15 stone has 3 liberties, and the E-16 stone has 3 liberties. 2 + 3 + 3 = 8. Tilt! :shock:

I'm late to the discussion, but this doesn't necessarily need to be an error. There is no problem with that group having 8 liberties (instead of what you would traditionally think of as 7). The only distinction in the rules where liberties are pertinent are moves that fill the last liberty, and all of those still apply. Admittedly, the examples they give that describe "two compartmentalized liberties" would be in error, but upon my first reading, I don't see an issue that would crop up from this definition.

Post #52 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:59 pm 
Lives in sente

asura wrote:
I remember I made the same thinking once. :)
However here the commentary is right, because when the four white stones get analysed the single w stone does not matter at all.
The single w stone needs its own analysis: There are two possibilities:
1) If b plays at 'a' then w can give up the 4 stones and captures the single b stone (and the single w stone is alive).
2) If b captures the single w stone directly then w plays 'a' and all b stones will die.

Thanks a lot !

This seems to be a very common oversight, even by professional authors ;-)

I remember that I once knew this effect, so it seems that I forgot about it in the meantime ...

Post #53 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:04 pm 
Dies with sente

Cassandra wrote:
This seems to be a very common oversight, even by professional authors ;-)

Yea, I wonder if they were really aware of this or if it's just luck that it works :)

Post #54 Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:59 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Matti wrote:
asura wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
[In his commentary]

I have made a slight variation here.

I have made the number of stones equal, and given Black only three points of territory.

This is certainly no seki under area scoring, under which the kos should be resolved, or White will win by one point on the board. But under territory scoring which does not count points in seki, it should in theory be considered a seki. Whichever player initiates play in it loses one point in gote.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #55 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:50 am 
Lives in sente

Bill Spight wrote:
But under territory scoring which does not count points in seki, it should in theory be considered a seki. Whichever player initiates play in it loses one point in gote.

You are missing the point, Bill.

Under the Nihon Kiin rules (J1989), White's large group in the centre cannot be taken off the board, so it is "alive".

It has no Dame, so it contains territory.

With your position shown, White wins the game by one point.

Black must resolve one of the Seki (either in the top left, or the lower left, corner) to win the game, as shown in your sequences.

+ + + + + + + + + +

In my opinion, Robert's link to the presentation of the original position had an inappropriate headline.

The main topic is NOT "Seki without Dame", but a living group that has one eye only.

Post #56 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:17 am 
Dies with sente

I wouldn't call it seki without dame, too. The main point is that there are (hidden) kos.
Some time ago I made a position that is related to that but the kos are obvious. But here all white stones are dead in J1989. (Of corse its a mistake for w to pass.)

Post #57 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:35 am 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Matti wrote:
asura wrote:

I have made the number of stones equal, and given Black only three points of territory.

This is certainly no seki under area scoring, under which the kos should be resolved, or White will win by one point on the board. But under territory scoring which does not count points in seki, it should in theory be considered a seki. Whichever player initiates play in it loses one point in gote.

It is one point better for black to start inside white's big eye.

Post #58 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:18 am 
Honinbo

Matti wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Matti wrote:

It is one point better for black to start inside white's big eye.

Well, I guess I am dense this morning. :b1: inside the eye. :w2: passes. Now what?

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #59 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:22 am 
Lives in sente

Bill Spight wrote:
Well, I guess I am dense this morning. :b1: inside the eye. :w2: passes. Now what?

Perhaps White got an additional prisoner for free ?

Post #60 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 am 
Honinbo

Cassandra wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
But under territory scoring which does not count points in seki, it should in theory be considered a seki. Whichever player initiates play in it loses one point in gote.

You are missing the point, Bill.

Under the Nihon Kiin rules (J1989), White's large group in the centre cannot be taken off the board, so it is "alive".

It has no Dame, so it contains territory.

With your position shown, White wins the game by one point.

That's the reason I said in theory. :)

This is similar to Three Points without Capturing, based upon a ruling by Honinbo Shuwa (IIRC), which is worth only two points under J89. I think that Shuwa was right, and would rule this a seki (or zero points, anyway). :)

Besides, are you sure that that group is alive under hypothetical play? White can throw in to make a ko, which Black takes, and then if White passes for that ko, Black simply wins the ko. If White throws in to make another ko, Black takes it, as well. Now whichever ko White passes for, Black wins.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next