It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGC 2020 on Hold
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:03 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
https://egc2020.org.ua/

"Due to the COVID-19 outbreak the preparation to European Go Congress 2020 is on hold now. A decision will be made by mid-May whether EGC will be postponed or held as planned."

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: EGC 2020 on Hold
Post #2 Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
I don't believe that the EGC can take place. Travel and mass gathering bans will likely not be lifted in the near future.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:47 am 
Judan

Even if the bans were lifted, Ukraine has great uncertainty WRT corona because of too few tests and limitations of the health system. Therefore, IMO, the situation in the Ukraine in summer cannot be safely predicted in mid May. Furthermore, I have heard that south western regions of Ukraine have been affected the most. Maybe tentative rescheduling to early 2021 is realistic, possibly combined with restrictions on participation. Even then, constant reevaluation would be mandatory. Other big sports events have been delayed by a whole year, which amounts to cancellation, although Ukraine might hold the congress a few years later instead of 2020.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:52 am 
Beginner

Was liked: 12
As the leadership of Ukrainian Go Federation is notoriously not very good at sharing information with public, I'll try to help here. Although, I have no relation to EGC 2020 organization whatsoever and any possible opinions are my own.

On April 11th there was a list from EGF President Martin Stiassny to UGF President Dmytro Yatsenko. It was shared publicly at UGF forum here: https://forum.ufgo.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23592&start=10#p96136. Here it is:

Quote:
Dear Dmitriy,
my first question in these days: Are you healthy and in good mood and condition ? I haven't heard about the situation in the Ukraine, any restrictions besides "noone can leave the country".

Well, after contacting Artem I got the message that you put a notice on the EGC-webpage about postponing a final decision till midth of May. This point was an important agenda-point in our last Skype-meeting of the EGF executive-board. So I write to you today on behalf of the EGF executive-board, it's not (only) my personal opinion.

We think that a decision midst of May is too late, because many persons, who registered for the congress, are afraid of losing money if not cancelling in time accomodation / flights - independant from the entry-fee. On the other hand we understand that you are trying to decide as late as possible, still hoping on "a better environment, worldwide". We also want to avoid any losses for your Go-organisation, but, sorry to say, from day to day it looks more likely that a congress in the Ukraine in July/Augsut 2020 won't be possible, because of too many personal restrictions for the participants (no flights, not allowed to travel, when coming back two weeks isolation, and so on). When I'm thinking about the up to 200 possible players/guests from China I am convinced that at the moment noone is believing on a realistic chance for travelling to Europe in July...

To make it very clear: It is your decision to cancel the EGC 2020, not the decision of the EGF. But the EGF-board decided that we will do whatever we can that the EGC2021 can happen in the Ukraine, like planned for 2020. Romania, the planned organizer of the EGC2021, will take the EGC2022 if you want the EGC2021. This is fixed and has been confirmed again by Catalin Taranu. We are at the moment in the lucky position that we have no EGC-candidate for 2022. So, with a congress in 2022 in Romania, we don't need to talk with any other country.

Facit: From the EGF-side everything is prepared to postpone the EGC2020 to 2021, and additional the congress 2022 can be fixed for Romania.
Last not least: We all want to come to the Ukraine and we honour your engagement, preparations and investments for the congress. But it would help all of us - and I'm sure I can say this on behalf of all European players, and our friends from Far East - if you postpone the congress right now. Please don't let us wait additional 5 weeks.

By the way, I will put Natalia Kovaleva in her function as a member of the EGF-board on copy. You can contact her whenever you want as well.

Hoping to hear from you soon

Best regards
Martin Stiassny (on behalf of the EGF executive-board)

UGF President's comment to this letter was: "It is difficult to make a decision, but the circumstances are force majeure, so we will have to consider the technology of transferring Congress dates to 2021.". This seems to be the all public information, besides official web page, that is available.

Currently the region where EGC 2020 was planned to take place has one of the lowest number of registered COVID-19 cases (38). However, the lack of testing in country as a whole and in that region in particular seems apparent, as in neighborhood regions numbers are significantly higher (including one of the biggest number of cases, 759).

This post by WinDigo was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, SoDesuNe

Post #5 Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:30 am 
Gosei

I was just informed from a reliable source that the EGC in Ukraine will take place in 2021 instead of 2020.

This post by jlt was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 am 
Judan

The decision, whether forced by the Ukrainian gouvernment or made out of wisdom, probably saves lives.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:14 am 
Judan

Bernhard Kraft / member of the executive of the German Go Association confirms the moving of the European Go Congress from 2020 to 2021, citing Martin Stiassny / member of the executive of the EGF on 2020-04-25:
http://www.dgob.de/yabbse/index.php?top ... #msg225533

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 am 
Judan

More official information is available now. Note the strikethrough tags.

https://egc2020.org.ua/

"NOTICE: Due to the conditions created by the COVID-19 outbreak the European Go Congress 2020 is moved to year 2021. Further details will be announced later. [...] 64th European Go Congress 2020 – 2021 <strikethrough>July 25 to August 9, 2020</strikethrough>, 2021,
Kamyanets-Podilskyi, Ukraine The Ukrainian Go Federation is pleased to welcome you to 64th European Go Congress that will be held in Kamyanets-Podilskyi, Ukraine, <strikethrough>from 25th of July to the 9th of August 2020</strikethrough>, 2021."

https://www.eurogofed.org/index.html?id=294

EGC 2020 in Ukraine is moved to year 2021
By Artem Kachanovskyi | News | 26.04.2020 11:14

"[...] EGC 2020 will not happen this summer. EGC 2021 will take place in Ukraine, and Romania takes EGC 2022."

Post #9 Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
KGS: Oberlappen 2k
How is the status of the EGC now? I think, the Corona situation can threaten the EGC in this year too. Probably it´s better, the EGS is 2021 also on hold. I don´t know if the responsible people already talked about it.
It´s not easy to make big events like this, during a pandemic. I don´t think really much people can come. Some countries will in summer still got problems with Covid19. Even in countries with less Covid cases, not everyone will be get a vaccine injection till then.
Another problem is, many can work that much or even lost their jobs in the pandemic. So the number of people, who can spend the money, to get to the EGC simply shrinks.

I suppose little tournaments can be done soon. But big events like the EGC still needs a hold. 2022 seems to be the year, things can get normal.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:05 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 6
Offical status as of 20th January 2021 from EGF https://www.eurogofed.org/index.html?id=306
Quote:
The organizers of the next congress in Kamianets-Podilskyi Ukraine are positive that they can hold the event this year.

Offical status as of 6th March 2021 from homepage https://egc2020.org.ua/
Quote:
Given the current situation with COVID-19, it is impossible to predict anything now. We hope that the Congress will take place this year. However, we need to announce that the deadline for reporting whether the Congress will take place according to plan or not, is the end of April.

My point is, that the go players who are health care workers, teachers and profession soccer players could be vaccinated before the EGC, but the majority of go players will not.

I do not see, that we will have an EGC this year, because of the pandemic (see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_ ... in_Ukraine )

Yours,

Wilhelm

Post #11 Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:54 pm 
Gosei

http://egc2020.org.ua/ wrote:
Due to the conditions created by the COVID-19 outbreak, European Go Congress 2020-2021 is canceled and moved to the year 2023.
Additionally, the European Youth Championship, which was planned for the second week of the EGC 2021 as a face-to-face tournament in Ukraine is canceled as well.

The next European Go Congress will be held in Vatra Dornei (Romania) in the year 2022.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
bordering on premonition

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: Ferran

Post #13 Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:27 pm 
Judan

Cancelling a physical EGC 2021 is reasonable. I wonder though why the AGA has online congresses and the EGF does not. (Anti-cheating is a separate issue.)