It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ideas for the future of EC title
Post #41 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:51 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Harleqin wrote:
I do not believe that anyone actually entertains this delusion, nor that anyone is trying to "sell" it.

It is possible that 5+ years of discussion have had their impact. Before this argument had been used.

Quote:
Having everyone play in the same tournament simply means that there is a continuum of opponents available, so that, for example, no one gets only mismatched opponents due to having been put into the wrong group.

Those in the Open will like to play for the first (European) place in it. In a (relatively) small Closed (like in national championships with similar systems), it happens that some players get only few wins; I have not heard complaints by them about too tough opposition though. So your argument is a technical observation rather than a real problem.

Post #42 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:55 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 140
RobertJasiek wrote:
If you want to try undoing the 21-0 vote...

Well, I'm not so convinced that vote really reflects what people think.
It had certainly not been announced on the agenda and I don't think that Sweden would have voted for discarding a separate EC, irrespectively of all other aspects involved. It says in the minutes that there was no discussion, maybe the delegates didn't think so much about what a separate EC could be like.

regards,
H.

Post #43 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
henric wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
If you want to try undoing the 21-0 vote...

Well, I'm not so convinced that vote really reflects what people think.
It had certainly not been announced on the agenda and I don't think that Sweden would have voted for discarding a separate EC, irrespectively of all other aspects involved. It says in the minutes that there was no discussion, maybe the delegates didn't think so much about what a separate EC could be like.

regards,
H.

It is against the constitution to introduce new motions without an agreed vote at the start at the meeting. (Or am I wrong?)

I think using Congress as a qualifier for 8 player European Championship would be a nice idea. So I would be interested in hearing the opinions of some strong players about the idea.

Post #44 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 pm 
Judan

Javaness wrote:
It is against the constitution to introduce new motions without an agreed vote at the start at the meeting.

Practice suggests that major votes should be on the agenda while minor votes can be ad hoc. I am not sure though about ad hoc motions if all or the absolute majority of the listed present delegates wants to allow them.

Quote:
I think using Congress as a qualifier for 8 player European Championship would be a nice idea. So I would be interested in hearing the opinions of some strong players about the idea.

Depends on whom you mean to consider "strong players". If you mean only the top 8, you might get affirmation. IMO (strong enough player to have been in many supergroups so far), 8 players are too few because they do not necessarily include the currently strongest player and because 7 rounds are too few.

Post #45 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:31 pm 
Judan

henric wrote:
I'm not so convinced that vote really reflects what people think.

Maybe this years' delegates can ensure to set the topic early during the agenda and to participate actively in discussion? Then there is less motivation to doubt careful intentions.

This post by RobertJasiek was liked by: topazg