All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Statistic: Go tournaments in 2022
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
Until the end of 2022, at least 365 Go tournaments are planned to be held in Russia. 336 of them have already been completed.
For comparison, the number of tournaments held in 2022 by European countries:
France - 129
Romania - 43
Germany - 31
Czech Republic - 22
Italy - 20
England - 14
Statistics taken from EGD.

In 2005, there were 450 active players in Russia, in 2012 - less than 900, in 2016 - 2100, in 2022 - 3100. The growth rate of the number of players in average of 10-15% per year has been maintained for many years, despite a slight decrease in the number of events due to the pandemic.

This post by breakfast was liked by: Elom0

Post subject: Re: Statistic: Go tournaments in 2022
Post #2 Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:37 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I didn't notice before that Russia was no longer allowed to submit its tournaments to the European Go Database.
Post Covid, you might have expected a real surge in the number of tournaments being held in Europe. What with us having been locked up under home arrest for a long time, I'm sure that a lot of people had rediscovered their passion for Go, but there just seems to be the continued steady drop off in activity we've seen since HnG came along.

Sad really

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: Elom0

Post #3 Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:33 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
Those are pretty impressive numbers, hopefully the trend continues. what do you think it's the biggest cause of this trend?

In my country we had 1 tournament in 2022 :cry:

This post by NoSkills was liked by: Elom0

Post #4 Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
Javaness2 wrote:
I didn't notice before that Russia was no longer allowed to submit its tournaments to the European Go Database.
This is not correct. Russia is still allowed to submit tournaments. It's just that they don't submit them anymore.
Javaness2 wrote:
Post Covid, you might have expected a real surge in the number of tournaments being held in Europe. What with us having been locked up under home arrest for a long time, I'm sure that a lot of people had rediscovered their passion for Go, but there just seems to be the continued steady drop off in activity we've seen since HnG came along.

Sad really
This is correct with the exception of Russia and Turkey. I guess it's still bit too early to already quantify the damage of covid restrictions on over the board tournaments.

This post by egd was liked by: kvasir

Post #5 Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:54 am 
Gosei

Thank you for the correction. I suppose that's a not an entirely petulant reaction from the RGF, but certainly a disappointing one, because it looks a little like they want to make a total break with the EGF if they disconnect from the rating system.

Amusingly at the same time I see we have tournaments from Kyrgyzstan (central Asia) being entered into the rating system now.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:55 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
When is Ilya Shikishin going to start playing in Japan.

He's wasting away in Europe. Your peak years are between 24 and 36 years old. It's not fair.

RGF should immediately fund and support Ilya Shikishin sensei being a guest professional in the Kansaii Kiin.

It can also be seen as the RGF deciding he should play outside of Russia during Russia's operation.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:59 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Javaness2 wrote:

Sad really

Don't rely on Anime to make your game popular.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:34 am 
Gosei

I don't think that people did rely on anime to make the game popular. I don't think anyone would argue that Hikaru No Go had a positive contribution to the number of people playing the game. Unfortunately there are many natural attrition factors that cause the HnG lot (just like any other group) to drop out. Education, career, marriage, babies, 'burnout'. I'd have to say that it would seem pessimistic to assume that none would ever return to the game, or pass their knowledge on to others.