It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New go tournament result server
Post #1 Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:12 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 21
http://valkonen.kapsi.fi/parsa.php?touid=T101009B

Since there is no proper go result server that can show standings after each round and TD’s are reluctant to publish .tur and .gth files, I decided to do proper wallist parser. It is still in development stage and there are several known and unknown bugs, but I decided to publish it, so that people may have a peek for the project and preferably participate by suggesting features and pointing out problems in design.

I am currently paid minimum amount of efforts for design, because it is hard and I am not a webdesigner. (FAQ: yes there is background image, and I think that every webpage should contain one! :) )

Main idea of Parsa (meaning is asparagus) is that it displays tournament results in standardized manner. Also it is aimed to be fully featured tournament result server. Main source for data is EGD, but external sources are also possible.

Standardized result display means in practice that highest group will get 10 MMS in the beginning and tiebreakers are calculated from games that were played in the tournament. This also means that standings after each round can be viewed and ordered by any supported tiebreaker.

One of the most important features is that Parsa can display names in correct format. E.g. Mero --> Mérő or Dinerstein --> Динерштейн. Since my language ability is limited, it currently can show correctly only Finnish and Scandinavian names with ä, ö and å letters.

As mentioned Parsa is currently in development stage and current version is the same as latest development version. So bugs and malfunctions and ill-designs may be encountered. E.g. there is currently no support for handicap games and they are counted as regular wins and losses without considering handicap. Also I will welcome any new ideas and features. Especially I need international help for reversetransliterating European names into correct format.

But here is rather lengthy feature list. Its value is not very high and it may be freely skipped.

Parsa supports following tie tiebreakers:

* MMS - McMahon score is above all tiebreakers and it cannot be disabled. Default value is that highest group will get 10 MMS in the beginning, but this can be reseted so that everyone in the tournament will get 0 points in the beginning. Reset is applicable in round robin and Swiss tournaments.
    * NBW - Number of Wins. Less wins gives higher value.
    * Rank - As defined in wallist. Value is between 30K and 9D.
    * GoR - As defined in EGF rating list, before the tournament was played. If not available contemporary GoR is used or rank is converted to EGF rating.
    * CUSS - Cumulative Sum of Scores (MMS).
    * SDOS - Sum of Defeated Opponents' Scores (MMS). Players are sorted first by wins in ascending order and next according SDOS in descending order. This way SDOS is applicable in McMahon tournaments and there is not required to use NBW as a tiebreaker before SDOS.
    * SOS - Sum of Opponents Scores (MMS).
    * SOS-1 - SOS when weakest opponent is eliminated.
    * SOS-2 - SOS when two weakest opponents are eliminated.
    * SOSOS - Sum of Opponents' SOS.
    * DC - Direct Comparison means that if two or more players share the same place and all of them have played each other, mutual games are evaluated. Partial tie breaking is also possible, but it is definitely not iterative but simplest possible. (Under development)

Other features are:

* Result display can give standings after each round sorted by any supported tiebreaker.
    * Players can be sorted by performance rating.
    * Ability to browse all tournaments or filter only tournaments from particular country.
    * Player profile display gives listing of games that player has played on the tournament and also listing of all tournament history for that particular player.
    * EGC main tournament results are available as a single tournament.
    * Full support for non-English letters.
    * Optional support for Cyrillic and Asian names. (under development)
    * Round by round display of games.
    * SGF uploads and SGF modifications. This feature is working by wiki principle, that everyone can upload, but no one can delete. This way previous version can be restored.
    * Wallist imports from external source (under development).
    * Viewing wallist as plain text and ability to make modifications by hand.
    * Modified wallist and imported wallist can be saved on server. (under development)
    * Customized tiebreakers can be made as default for that tournament. Regular default is SOS, SOSOS and NBW. This feature is also working by wiki principle.
    * Extensive tournament statistic display. If you know some number that can be calculated I will add it!
    * Support for customization of .css files. This feature may come sometime in the far future. (under development)
    * Support for single and double elimination cup charts. (under development)
    * Ability to merge several wallists into single tournament and players are ordered by performance rating. (under development)
    * Technical feature is that since there is lot of calculating and retrieving data from EGD, all non-changing data is cached to the server memory and MySQL database. This makes browsing much faster. Especially calculating EGC results is very slow without cache.

This post by Liisa was liked by 8 people: betterlife, Darrell, kamyszyn, rubin427, Stable, tj86430, topazg, willemien

Post subject: Re: New go tournament result server
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:05 pm 
Lives with ko

Some properly formatted Czech names added.

See for example Czech championship qualifications:

http://valkonen.kapsi.fi/parsa.php?touid=T101009D

Post #3 Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
This is nice, I can use it to ask people if they think I am a good pairing computer
http://valkonen.kapsi.fi/parsa.php?touid=T100925C

edit - hmm the McMahon score seems insane in my tournament :( :scratch:

Post #4 Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:40 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the bug-spotting! Half MM-scores were denoted by "?" and it messed up my script. But I taught it to interpret those as MM-scores and not as a games without result.

I also added player listings. Now it is easy to search tournaments by player name.