Post subject: EWGC-2010
Post #1 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
http://lyon-shinogi.jeudego.org/calendr ... ampionship

What do you think about the tournament system?

In my opinion it was really stupid to play in one group in 5 rounds.
It was better to make 2 groups or add one extra round.

Now there are 5 girls with 4 points and it's hard to understand why Zhao Pei is first.

Post subject: Re: EWGC-2010
Post #2 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:36 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
yes, i agree the system wasn't chosen very fitting to the situation and results prove it. there is not much of a point in playing swiss system with even games and players in range from 11k to 6d.

how did you meant two groups? two separated groups or just two macmahon groups? i would vote for MM, with top group consisting of 8 (= dans) or maybe 12 players (= dans + 1-3k) and starting MM 1, others with MM 0.

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
2 MacMahon groups usually. It's the best decision

Post #4 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 19
DGS: willemien
I would prefer accelerated Pairings
http://senseis.xmp.net/?SwissTournament%2FacceleratedPairings

is a bit fairer,

Everybody has (at least a theoretical) chance to become the winner. (and it was a championship, not a ordinary tournament)

Last edited by willemien on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:43 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
I guess that they are forced to play this tournament in World Amateur Style though.
Quite rare to see a 5 player tie at the top of the tournament. Maybe next year the EGF will give some direction for the rules?

Post #6 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:18 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 21
With such a high distribution of ratings, tournament system was effectively 4 round swiss tournament. And therefore as there was not someone, who was clearly above others and would win all her games, it is _very likely_ that there are several players who will share top place.

This would support the idea of more than one McMahon groups. However, it is important to keep in mind that top group size is rather irrelevant, because distribution of players' skill is the thing that matters. Idea is that first round should not be trivial for all those top group players who are seeded to top half of the top group in first round. If it is trivial (like in this case), tournament loses one effective round.

Accelerated pairing feels like a dirty trick, but since I cannot find obvious flaws in the logic, I would ask for the real world examples. Preferrably from EGD, because I would like to study pairing in detail, with my Asparagus.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liisa wrote:
Accelerated pairing feels like a dirty trick, but since I cannot find obvious flaws in the logic, I would ask for the real world examples. Preferrably from EGD, because I would like to study pairing in detail, with my Asparagus.

It is sometimes used in chess tournaments.

In go it is not often used because the topgroup is small and has a similar strength and in such cases Accelerated pairing can give more players with 2 wins than normal pairings. (but i did suggest it for future EGC topgroup tournaments)

I don't think that there is a Logical flaw in Accelerated pairing.

But you do have the risk (if the origiunal seeding is wrong) that instead of less there are more people with the 2 wins after 2 rounds.

The result of Accelerated pairing is that the players in the lower half need to win 2 games before they are paired against the players with 2 wins in the higher half. (this is based on a 4 group setup, see the sensei's article)
The prognosis is that they will not win these 2 games, but if they do they are still able to win the tournament.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:29 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Accelerated Pairings and the McMahon system are both attempts to solve the same problems: Too many players, or too wide a skill difference, to make Swiss attractive.

In general, McMahon is better at it, but in situations where it is required that all players have a (theoretical) chance to win the tournament, Accelerated Pairings allow you to start everyone in the same group, while still avoiding most wide skill gaps.

If it is required that Swiss be used for the EWGC, then AP would be a good idea. If it is not, then McMahon is a better choice, IMO.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:04 am 
Lives with ko

I added tournament to my Asparagus, so that pairing can be studied in detail and make appropriate speculations. Indeed it looks like Vanessa would perform as well as Pei, and Rita had bad luck with pairing.

http://valkonen.kapsi.fi/parsa.php?touid=Q101015A

willemien wrote:

I think that ethical problem is that accelerated pairing gives lower rated players by definition disadvantageous SOS, because they need to play weaker opponents in first two rounds. On the other hand they will get stronger opponents in the latter rounds, because players are folded according sos, but I do not think that this will be enough to even out sosses within 5 rounds.

Other issue is that there might be other hazards in latter rounds if pairing does not go well even. Especially round three is difficult. Like in this case Rita was paired out of any SOS fights in round three. This is not good thing!

So as there are some problems with accelerated pairing, and benefits are little, normal McMahon is just plain better IMO. It might be better than regular Swiss, but Swiss in general suits very badly in go tournaments, imo. This is I think the reason why McMahon was invented! (Although, we should import McMahon into Chess tournaments, because it would suit also Chess tournaments better than Swiss =)

Post #10 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liisa wrote:
I added tournament to my Asparagus, so that pairing can be studied in detail and make appropriate speculations. Indeed it looks like Vanessa would perform as well as Pei, and Rita had bad luck with pairing.

willemien wrote:

I think that ethical problem is that accelerated pairing gives lower rated players by definition disadvantageous SOS, because they need to play weaker opponents in first two rounds. On the other hand they will get stronger opponents in the latter rounds, because players are folded according sos, but I do not think that this will be enough to even out sosses within 5 rounds.

Other issue is that there might be other hazards in latter rounds if pairing does not go well even. Especially round three is difficult. Like in this case Rita was paired out of any SOS fights in round three. This is not good thing!

So as there are some problems with accelerated pairing, and benefits are little, normal McMahon is just plain better IMO. It might be better than regular Swiss, but Swiss in general suits very badly in go tournaments, imo. This is I think the reason why McMahon was invented! (Although, we should import McMahon into Chess tournaments, because it would suit also Chess tournaments better than Swiss =)

I haven't thought about the SOS problem with accelerated pairing, I thought there were enough rounds left to sort that reasonably out.
Maybe the only solution here is to use SOS-2 (Don't count the 2 lowest SOS scores) instead of normal SOS

The problem with (normal) McMahon is that you allready before the start of the tournament the organisation denies some people the possibility to win the title. (everybody under the bar is no contender for the title)

Post #11 Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 pm 
Lives with ko

willemien wrote:
The problem with (normal) McMahon is that you allready before the start of the tournament the organisation denies some people the possibility to win the title. (everybody under the bar is no contender for the title)

I do not see a problem here. If someone thinks that their actual skill should be enough to compete from victory (e.g. not playing in tournaments recently), they can adjust their rank so that it is high enough to include into top group.

SOS-1 or SOS-2 of course would solve that issue, but this would also reduce the accuracy of SOS because there is not too much data to waste in 5 rounds. Problem is that it is just impossible to find justified winner from 24 players in five rounds in all cases. More rounds is needed or smaller top group. My opinion is that 12-14 is upper limit for top group in 5 round tournament. But more important than size, is that top group's skill distribution is narrow enough.

Post #12 Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liisa wrote:
willemien wrote:

I do not see a problem here. If someone thinks that their actual skill should be enough to compete from victory (e.g. not playing in tournaments recently), they can adjust their rank so that it is high enough to include into top group.

But if you allready only have such a small tournament as here splitting it up in two groups (a topgroup and the rest) is hardly a option either

Liisa wrote:
SOS-1 or SOS-2 of course would solve that issue, but this would also reduce the accuracy of SOS because there is not too much data to waste in 5 rounds. Problem is that it is just impossible to find justified winner from 24 players in five rounds in all cases. More rounds is needed or smaller top group. My opinion is that 12-14 is upper limit for top group in 5 round tournament. But more important than size, is that top group's skill distribution is narrow enough.

Some people say that SOS looks more accurate than it actually is. so if it gives more with the same SOS score can be seen as more truthful. ;-)

The problem in this tournament was more that nobody won all her games (that would give a clear winner, and there could only be one of them)

But also under that situation (one player winning all her games) the problem would be that it likely is that more players would have 4 wins.

i wanted to see what your progam would make as initial wallchart

but if on

I click on one of the lins after
Results after round:
I get directed to the Finnish Champhionship Qualifications (for my unknown reasons)

Post #13 Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
Handpicked anti-randomized pairings (old-school with pen and paper) would not have shown this behaviour. There were six players 3d and above and 5 rounds - does not sound too hard to pick suitable opponents for all who are still contending the title.

I am amazed by quotes like: "SOS-1 or SOS-2 of course would solve that issue, but this would also reduce the accuracy of SOS because there is not too much data to waste in 5 rounds." A glance at the result table shows that there is no accuracy to talk about. There is a two point difference (SOS) between first and second placed just by the truly random first game and later on this difference did increase, even though the second did not lose a game (until the last round). So yes, the first one played a harder tournament (SOS rationale), but 2nd to 5th did not get a chance to play it. Which is in a way a feature, if you lose in the second round, but obviously it is a flaw if you have straight wins. So we got the opportunity to see a 3 point SOS-difference which still does not look convincing.

I wait for the day when a WAGC is decided by whether the winner was paired against a 5k or a 2d in the first round, maybe some people will then realize that there is something wrong with the system.

Post #14 Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:36 pm 
Lives with ko

tapir wrote:
A glance at the result table shows that there is no accuracy to talk about. There is a two point difference (SOS) between first and second placed just by the truly random first game and later on this difference did increase, even though the second did not lose a game (until the last round). So yes, the first one played a harder tournament (SOS rationale), but 2nd to 5th did not get a chance to play it. Which is in a way a feature, if you lose in the second round, but obviously it is a flaw if you have straight wins. So we got the opportunity to see a 3 point SOS-difference which still does not look convincing.

Indeed three point difference is here far less convincing than it normally should be. If you examine closer the pairing first round was arranged by GoR as it should arrange in regular Swiss. Random is always bad option in first round because it can give huge benefit or handicap just by good or bad luck. Therefore naturally Pei got strongest opponent in the first round of top half players.

Second issue was that Rita was paired downwards on third round. This gave her intolerable disadvantage.

Third issue was that Pei was paired manually constantly against other top players. This gave Pei huge advantage in winning competition. Three point difference in SOS should not be possible in regularly paired tournament.

And fourth Natalja lost on second round, but this should not exclude her away from winning competition. This is the reason why 20 players is over sized group size with this distribution of ratings.

Quote:
I wait for the day when a WAGC is decided by whether the winner was paired against a 5k or a 2d in the first round, maybe some people will then realize that there is something wrong with the system.

In swiss pairing it is just plain wrong to use random in the first round, because of this reason.

Willem wrote:
But if you allready only have such a small tournament as here splitting it up in two groups (a topgroup and the rest) is hardly a option either

I do not see point here. I stated that maximum size is 12-14 imo, but minimum is 6-8 for top group. But this depends heavily on rating distribution. In this particular tournament I would choose 10 players into top group (1k+) and for the rest regular McMahon tournament with MMS-1 handicaps.

Idea is that in this case first round was wasted, because smallest GoR difference was more than 800 points between pairs. I would say that minimum difference between pairs should not be much bigger than 300 points in the first round.

Quote:
i wanted to see what your progam would make as initial wallchart

but if on

I click on one of the lins after
Results after round:
I get directed to the Finnish Champhionship Qualifications (for my unknown reasons)

I think that your session was just expired. You need to click again link. If this is not the case then there is a serious bug! That Finnish championship qualification is default tournament that is shown if no other tournament is selected with "?touid=", or session is expired.

Post #15 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:59 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 283
GD Posts: 484
tapir wrote:

Usually the draw is "fixed" for the first round, to avoid the top contenders playing someone with no chance of competing. The organisers are sufficiently aware of the possibility to try to avoid the repercussions.

Best wishes.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:44 am 
Lives in sente

Basically, you (Liisa) say it was not random, but it was an award to the player with the highest previous rating of some SOS points for free. Is that any better? And at least WAGC/KPMC do not fix the first round to avoid top players being paired against random 1-3 dans in the first round, because they regularly were in the last years e.g. China vs. South Africa (when Victor Chow isn't representative), Korea vs. Lithuania.

And of course even if you pair two top-WAGC players against a 2d with identical GoR in the first round it is somehow random whether this one ends with 3 or 4 wins and both can be trusted to be able to win a game against any other 2d as well.

Bottom line: This time we had 3 or 5 SOS points difference (Vanessa or Rita resp.) and we consider that result unsatisfactory but we are still ready to decide EGC or WAGC victory on a single SOS point. I would have a hard time to explain this to my fellow go players.

Liisa wrote:
Indeed three point difference is here far less convincing than it normally should be. If you examine closer the pairing first round was arranged by GoR as it should arrange in regular Swiss. Random is always bad option in first round because it can give huge benefit or handicap just by good or bad luck. Therefore naturally Pei got strongest opponent in the first round of top half players.

Post #17 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liisa wrote:
tapir wrote:
A glance at the result table shows that there is no accuracy to talk about. There is a two point difference (SOS) between first and second placed just by the truly random first game and later on this difference did increase, even though the second did not lose a game (until the last round). So yes, the first one played a harder tournament (SOS rationale), but 2nd to 5th did not get a chance to play it. Which is in a way a feature, if you lose in the second round, but obviously it is a flaw if you have straight wins. So we got the opportunity to see a 3 point SOS-difference which still does not look convincing.

Second issue was that Rita was paired downwards on third round. This gave her intolerable disadvantage.

I you need to pair somebody down, and who should be chosen?
Bexfield Alison allready had a SOS disadvantage
Kalsberg Elvina had allready played two weak players
So i think it is a reasonable choice

Quote:
Third issue was that Pei was paired manually constantly against other top players. This gave Pei huge advantage in winning competition. Three point difference in SOS should not be possible in regularly paired tournament.

She had more the luck that her opponents played well, it doesn't look that she was constantly paired against other top players

Quote:
And fourth Natalja lost on second round, but this should not exclude her away from winning competition. This is the reason why 20 players is over sized group size with this distribution of ratings.

After round 2 Natalja had a SOS advantage (compared against the others with one win)
i guess therefor she was paired down.

Quote:

In swiss pairing it is just plain wrong to use random in the first round, because of this reason.

If they had used accelerated pairing the first round would also not have been played,
In round 1
1 to 5 would play 6-10 and
11- 15 would have played 16-20

Quote:
Willemien wrote:

I do not see point here. I stated that maximum size is 12-14 imo, but minimum is 6-8 for top group. But this depends heavily on rating distribution. In this particular tournament I would choose 10 players into top group (1k+) and for the rest regular McMahon tournament with MMS-1 handicaps.

Then the offical contesder of Switzerland had not even a formal chance to win the tournament

[quote]
Idea is that in this case first round was wasted, because smallest GoR difference was more than 800 points between pairs. I would say that minimum difference between pairs should not be much bigger than 300 points in the first round.

The Aspergus now works fine :tmbup:
nice to be able to see how it was after just a couple of rounds.

Post #18 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:33 am 
Lives with ko

tapir wrote:
Bottom line: This time we had 3 or 5 SOS points difference (Vanessa or Rita resp.) and we consider that result unsatisfactory but we are still ready to decide EGC or WAGC victory on a single SOS point. I would have a hard time to explain this to my fellow go players.

In the case of EGC it is usually clear, because there are plenty of rounds to make soses even by folding. E.g. although it was little dubious to pair Cornel and Alexandr in the first round, it still was not hopeless situation for Alexandr to fight for the championship in spite of defeat in the first round, because there was plenty of rounds left.

Same goes for WAGC because there is 8 rounds to even out SOS'es, but certainly it is not guaranteed. But with 5 rounds it is completely different case. And if we want to be sure that there are no problems who is the winner, pairing must be designed carefully. If McMahon pairing is done well, then there should not be problems with SOS as a tiebreaker even in 5 round tournament, but this is not guaranteed.

Willemien wrote:
I you need to pair somebody down, and who should be chosen?... So i think it is a reasonable choice

This situation should have been prevented beforehand. This is the point. It is of course clear that if you have 20 players then you will end up serious ethical problems on round 3, and in practice you must choose someone who is paired out from championship competition.

Post #19 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:29 am 
Lives in sente

Liisa wrote:
tapir wrote:

In the case of EGC it is usually clear, because there are plenty of rounds to make soses even by folding. E.g. although it was little dubious to pair Cornel and Alexandr in the first round, it still was not hopeless situation for Alexandr to fight for the championship in spite of defeat in the first round, because there was plenty of rounds left.

Same goes for WAGC because there is 8 rounds to even out SOS'es, but certainly it is not guaranteed. But with 5 rounds it is completely different case. And if we want to be sure that there are no problems who is the winner, pairing must be designed carefully. If McMahon pairing is done well, then there should not be problems with SOS as a tiebreaker even in 5 round tournament, but this is not guaranteed.

In the WAGC the top players have probably 4-5 sure wins and 3-4 contested games. Whether their opponents in the sure win games are finishing with 3,4 or 5 wins in the end is absolutely meaningless regarding the playing strength of the top players but it will break ties. And I do not belief there is a technical fix for this problem. Like changing pairing a bit here, using SOS-1 instead of SOS... I mean a 1 dan player not able to handle his clock or drinking too much on the last evening or forfeiting his game by arriving too late at the playing hall can decide the outcome of the WAGC because this changes SOS points of the top players. It is a sure call that something like this will happen one day, anyone going to bet against me on that?

And it probably did happen already for 3rd and 4th places, just nobody cares about that. E.g. last year Bertan Bilen 2d lost to John Gibson 2k by forfeit = arriving too late, both are far from contending for the championship still this has an effect at the top of the table, it retrospectively granted the Taiwanese player who played Gibson in the 2nd round an additional SOS-point changing his placement from shared 3-way 7th to shared 2-way 6th. And this is just one example I remembered from the last WAGC.

Reserving a day for play-offs to decide the winner - at least in long tournaments like EGC or WAGC - would be a better solution in my humble opinion.

Post #20 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:07 am 
Lives in gote

I think with any tournament setup there will be problems for the lower finalists.
If somebody wins all her games it is easy (as long as there are less than 2^r, contestands) but for 2nd 3rd and further places discussion is possible.
and if nobody wins all her games, the problem is also about the winner :blackeye: