All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rating obsession
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
RobertJasiek wrote:
This is exactly no evidence for German ranks being weaker than most other European countries' ranks. In that thread your claim is only repeated. No evidence is given.

Have you looked at the sources given in that thread?

Post #22 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
karaklis wrote:
RobertJasiek wrote:
This is exactly no evidence for German ranks being weaker than most other European countries' ranks. In that thread your claim is only repeated. No evidence is given.

Have you looked at the sources given in that thread?

Oh yes, let us talk about ratings in thread which tried to discourage this very talk:

The best evidence (largest sample) is probably this: http://www.europeangodatabase.eu/EGD/Stats_Country.php (the game comparison)

Overall 19598 wins, 21654 losses for Germany in international games, but the margin is widening over the years (2011: 1064 to 1334). However with countries as France scoring 1708 to 1147 last year, there seem to be bigger problems elsewhere. (Correcting them would obviously even the balance for the other countries somewhat.) As far as I know France is the only country having such a ridiculous high winning rate consistently, which indicates their rating practice is off. Poland had similar results in 2011 but this seems to be mainly the result from Irish and Lithuanian players meeting Polish players the first time :)

Please answer elsewhere, if you want to talk about rating comparison.

Post #23 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:59 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Links to links to links are not helpful. Please provide facts, which you want to use, here! It is also not so meaningful to make general statements for all ranks of a country; at least there should be different figures of dan, SKD, DDK.

Post #24 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:22 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Tapir, is that the right page? I don't see win/loss figures there, am I blind?

Post #25 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 12
RobertJasiek wrote:
karaklis wrote:
German players in the kyu ranks are about half a stone weaker than the rest of Europe.

Evidence?

Provide evidence to the contrary! :cool:

Btw, you need to navigate to the correct page yourself in Tapir's link (Select Germany -> Submit, then scroll down a bit and click on "Switch to games list" and you'll see the charts.)

Post #26 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
Ah, with that it does seem clear that Germany loses slightly more than it wins, but that still doesn't tell us that they're overranked, for that we'd also need to know that all games are properly handicapped.

Also the effect is not large, Germany's win ratio is 47%; that sounds pretty acceptable to me, but of course since it's an average of all games, some ranks might be very far off but in opposite directions (kyus could be vastly overranked and dans slightly underranked, for example)... You'd need a table of win/loss by rank in order to figure that out.

Post #27 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
tapir wrote:
I am not french, so I don't really know what french people talk at tournaments. Their system might well be broken for a longer time. The tournament talk point is based on experience in Germany and Switzerland and it tires me endlessly, I mean just take a look on some European go blogs... there are blogs who seemingly don't talk anything else but rating, changes in rating and how others don't deserve their rank because of their rating.

i always advocate rating in such discussions, but this i honestly don't understand - why are Germans obsessed with rating when they use self-ranking? it doesn't make any sense to me

if Germans, Swiss and others are like this, they most enjoy the thing that i don't consider so important on go. i am happy that i haven't observed the same issue on Czech tournaments

and for differences between countries, they surely exist and stem from the different systems in use. you want us to use self-ranking, we want you to use rating, neither side is clearly wrong, EGF is silent, so any discussions are probably no-go

walpurgis wrote:
Btw, you need to navigate to the correct page yourself in Tapir's link (Select Germany -> Submit, then scroll down a bit and click on "Switch to games list" and you'll see the charts.)

cool, never saw that one. thank you

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:16 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
walpurgis wrote:
Provide evidence to the contrary!

For 3d to 7d players, I have some experience from tournaments:

- French ranks are about 1/3 stronger than German ranks.
- Czech ranks are about 1 stronger than German ranks.
- Polish, Finnish ranks are about 0.8 stronger than German ranks.

For all of these countries, there are players that do not fit into the pattern and are similar or even slightly weaker than German ranks.

- Almost all other countries: similar to or weaker than German ranks.

Again there are exceptions: Some players are about equal to German ranks.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 155
The eagerness with which people jump on this is pretty much an illustration of the problem...

Post #30 Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
tapir wrote:
Oh yes, let us talk about ratings in thread which tried to discourage this very talk

:lol:

tapir wrote:
The eagerness with which people jump on this is pretty much an illustration of the problem...

Not sure about that. For some time I followed a thread about that topic in the german forum. It was one of the longest threads there (over 700 postings iirc), and it was obvious that the eagerness of those who endorsed self-ranking was the same as those who endorsed ranking by rating. It rather seems to be an ideological question.

So as you brought up that topic, it's not a surprise that it being discussed exactly the way you can find in this very thread. ;-)