All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teaching Go in Europe: Asian pros vs Asian inseis
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
According to Korean Baduk Association website, all Asian pros get the regular salary from Hankuk Kiwon, if they teach Go outside of Korea: 2000 usd every month
It's much more than regular pros can get from tournaments in Korea, so staying in foreign countries is profitable for Korean pros.

Amateurs and ex-inseis get nothing.

I feel, that it's more important to support such inseis. Usually they are not even weaker.

If we don't allow inseis to take part in EGC and fight for prizes (EGF is very close to accepting such decision) I suggest to invite inseis to teach on EGC instead (lectures, simultaneous, etc).

Post subject: Re: Teaching Go in Europe: Asian pros vs Asian inseis
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:37 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Europeans (of whichever status) should also be invited.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:44 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
breakfast wrote:
According to Korean Baduk Association website, all Asian pros get the regular salary from Hankuk Kiwon, if they teach Go outside of Korea: 2000 usd every month
It's much more than regular pros can get from tournaments in Korea, so staying in foreign countries is profitable for Korean pros.

Heck, if they get paid that much, they should be teaching for free (or at least cheaper than others). I assume this means teaching over the Internet, and not face-to-face. Or is this money only paid to those who move or travel to other countries?

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:57 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
kirkmc wrote:
Heck, if they get paid that much, they should be teaching for free (or at least cheaper than others).

Should they? Why? I earn over twice that for my professional vocation, and I'm not at the level of relative expertise that a professional Go player is, where the requirement is being in a top fraction of a fraction of a percent of those with some level of competence.

If that is what is required to stop them needing to seek other jobs, than I see that as a perfectly reasonable base salary, on which all the work that they do contributes further at sensible market rates.

This post by topazg was liked by: richardamullens

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:34 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
topazg wrote:
kirkmc wrote:
Heck, if they get paid that much, they should be teaching for free (or at least cheaper than others).

Should they? Why? I earn over twice that for my professional vocation, and I'm not at the level of relative expertise that a professional Go player is, where the requirement is being in a top fraction of a fraction of a percent of those with some level of competence.

If that is what is required to stop them needing to seek other jobs, than I see that as a perfectly reasonable base salary, on which all the work that they do contributes further at sensible market rates.

Yes, I agree, but we a quick google suggests that the cost of living in South Korea is lower than in the US or western Europe, so that monthly stipend might be equal to much more than your salary. This is in addition to any money they make playing, I assume, so it's not their full salary. If you're paying people that much for a few hours of teaching a week, it's still a pretty good deal for them (I'm assuming that none of these pros are spending any great amount of time teaching, but I don't know for sure.)

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
kirkmc wrote:
Yes, I agree, but we a quick google suggests that the cost of living in South Korea is lower than in the US or western Europe, so that monthly stipend might be equal to much more than your salary. This is in addition to any money they make playing, I assume, so it's not their full salary. If you're paying people that much for a few hours of teaching a week, it's still a pretty good deal for them (I'm assuming that none of these pros are spending any great amount of time teaching, but I don't know for sure.)

That's true if they lived in South Korea. I thought the point was that they were teaching overseas (likely I suspect to be in Europe or the US therefore), and won't have the equivalent low cost of living. In fact, it may well be cost of living differences that is precisely why that stipend exists?

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:51 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Just a note: The professional players sent by the Asian professional organizations to the European Go Congress do not get payed by the congress. Their accommodation is payed for, and they get (on site) food/drinks free, but that's it. Inviting inseis instead, and paying them a salary for two weeks, would add a significant expense to the congress.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 am 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 51
GD Posts: 300
KGS: breakfast
My info was not right.
Sorry.
Here is the right info:

Korean pros get 2000 usd per month, but they have to play 8 simultaneous per month on WBaduk in return.

Korean exinseis get $1000 per month from the Federation (not sure if they have to play simultaneous too)

Post #9 Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:40 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
topazg wrote:
kirkmc wrote:

That's true if they lived in South Korea. I thought the point was that they were teaching overseas (likely I suspect to be in Europe or the US therefore), and won't have the equivalent low cost of living. In fact, it may well be cost of living differences that is precisely why that stipend exists?

Yes. You are right. If they want support from Korean Go Association they have to go abroad and stay more than one year. And also not every professionals are accepeted. This is quite fresh decision. So They'll go abroad soon.
Actually the financial supporting is not 2000$US per month less than 1500$. Anyway that is not really big mount of money. They can earn more than that mount if they stay in Korea for sure. Imagin 1500$ is just minimun living expense.
By thy way, The cost of living in Korea is not really lower than western Europe. We need at least 3000$ per month if I live in Seoul. If I had family? Of course more than double mount of income needed.

Post #10 Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 105
Was liked: 123
In the U.S., the 2009-10 federal poverty level for a family of two is $29,140. It's hard to imagine how anyone could live on $1500-$2000 a month in a U.S. city or region with a sizable enough Go playing population. Perhaps if you lived in Minot, North Dakota...

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
In Croatia 2000 dollars is more than enough for decent living of one person. And they get more money from teaching and tournaments(ex-insei).

Post #12 Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:30 am 
Lives in gote

Was liked: 23
topazg wrote:
kirkmc wrote:

Should they? Why?

I agree with you, so in the same sense, why should we pay inseis?