It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cambridge University Go Society
Post #1 Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Does anyone know whether the Cambridge go society is still having Monday night meetings? I will be in the area on the 18th and would like to attend if there will be others around. I'm staying at the Cambridge Belfry hotel for three nights, from the 17th - 19th. If anyone will be around, please send me a PM.

Post subject: Re: Cambridge University Go Society
Post #2 Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 149
Was liked: 101
Universal go server handle: billywoods
cdybeijing wrote:
Does anyone know whether the Cambridge go society is still having Monday night meetings? I will be in the area on the 18th and would like to attend if there will be others around. I'm staying at the Cambridge Belfry hotel for three nights, from the 17th - 19th. If anyone will be around, please send me a PM.

Term has ended, and there are not usually meetings outside of term (the club is student-run nowadays, and students are more or less forced to go home during holidays).

Cambridge has two go societies, though, and (some subset of) the city go club meets at CB1 cafe (on Mill Road, a couple of minutes' walk from Parker's Piece) fairly regularly on Sundays, usually from about 5pm until 8pm in my experience. But this is informal - sometimes people turn up earlier, sometimes later. (CB1 stores stones and boards for anyone to use, by the way.)

(There is a website, but most of the information on it - including all the contact details that I can see - is outdated by several years.)

Post #3 Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:30 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I will be at the CB1 cafe from around 6pm tomorrow Sunday 17th, hope to see you there! The cafe closes at 8pm and we then retire to the nearby Live and Let Live pub.

As Billy says, term is over so this week was the last Monday night meeting.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Thank you to you both.

I will be arriving at Heathrow Sunday at 15:55 on a flight from Beijing. I've never been to London, so I don't know how long it will take me to get to the hotel in Cambridge, but I'm guessing about 2-3 hours.

I would love to join up at the Live and Let Live pub if I can somehow check in, contact you, and find my way to the location. Could either of you provide a local contact number (and a name!) via PM, and I will call you if I get settled. Also, any idea where my hotel is in relation to the pub?

Post #5 Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:12 pm 
Judan

Did you book the hotel yourself? It's not actually in Cambridge but a village 7 miles away! You'll need to take a taxi there.

If you are travelling by train then you need to get from Heathrow to London Kings Cross station. You can either take the underground, which will take 50-60 minutes, or the more expensive Heathrow Express which gets you to London Paddington [there are many London terminal stations, roughly in a circle around the centre, Paddington is on the West, King's Cross the North] quickly but then you need to change onto the underground to Kings Cross so it only saves about 15 minutes. Fast trains to Cambridge take about 50 minutes, slower ones a bit over an hour. So you should arrive between 6 and 7.

The cafe/pub are actually close to Cambridge station, so it probably makes more sense to go straight there rather than the hotel and back again. Exit the station and turn right past the taxi rank and walk through the car park, there is a big footbridge ahead. When you get under it follow the path to the left and you come out onto a bend in Devonshire road. Go right and follow the road about 300m until a T junction. Turn left on Mill Road and walk about 400m. The CB1 cafe is on the left.

I've sent my number in PM.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:17 am 
Judan

Shame you couldn't make it yesterday. I am actually free this Monday evening so if you want to meet up at CB1 for a game or two let me know. Also there will be a meeting at 7:30 pm tomorrow (Tuesday 19th) in the Maypole pub which is on the North side of the city centre.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:13 am 
Lives in gote

Thank you Andrew for all your information. I have just sent you a PM. I will make it to the Maypole tonight come hell or high water!