It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JG journal and family rivalry games
Post #21 Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:46 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 3
KGS: jgr314
Thanks @BlindGroup. I need to get some sleep and will look at your comments in the morning. I appreciate all go and parenting advice!

Post subject:
Post #22 Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:45 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 1662
GD Posts: 312
Hi Josh,

:w16: Maybe R5 first.

:w22: ( Maybe interesting to study B7 variations. )

:w24: B8. "Sacrifice 2." In the game, if you atari at E8, B can remove :w24: from the board.
But if you drop to B8 first, and atari at E8, B cannot remove the 2 W stones from the board! B must connect at C7. Your two W stones remain on the board, ready to be re-activated should the occasion arises.
Once a stone is taken off the board, it has zero aji left. Huge difference.

:b25: Remember B cannot get this very clean result, very good aji with one move, if you had dropped once at :w24: .

:w26: Remember if you had dropped once at :w24: ,
then you could've atari'ed at E8 in sente
(the 2 W stones staying on the board), and still play E11.

:b27: Slow.

:w28: Very big.

:w36: Before this descend (local big move),
did you first double check that you can handle :black: E3 ?
When B has massive power nearby, you must be very careful.

:b37: Big. You have to watch out for your group.

:w46: Slow, and good exchange for B. Don't do it now.
Maybe good to take care of your group (starting with D13, etc.)

Post subject: Re: JG journal and family rivalry games
Post #23 Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:48 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 3
KGS: jgr314
@BlindGroup
1. I agree. Mostly, I study by doing life and death problems and watching lectures from Dwyin and Nick Sibicky about direction of play and higher level strategy than joseki or fuseki sequences. The boys have been doing more of a mix, but have certainly had a lot of joseki in their studies.

2. This is something with which I'm struggling. I am trying to find a balance between establishing territory on the corners and sides, but not get shut out of the center. In the last couple of face-to-face games (not recorded, I think) my opponents were able to get a lot of points from territory in the center. In this game, when I chose to go for a wall and center influence on the bottom side, I thought, erroneously, that I would get territory and points in both right corners. I didn't realize I was still completely vulnerable to 3-3 invasion, especially after I had the stone at Q14 (which probably should have been played at R14 as you commented).

:b9: FWIW, Kogo's only offers C as a continuation.
:b11: perhaps I should play elsewhere? Maybe a corner enclosure like O3 on the idea that is still close enough to help the J4 stone.
:b15: in your continuation, I think If white cuts at B, then black d4, white f5, black e5 which then threatens to push through d5, so white has two local things to deal with and probably ok for black.
:b63: yep, greedily thinking I can get the whole side!

The sgf doesn't show the clock. I forget how much time we were using, I think it was 10min main time, + 5x0:30. As I noted, I burned through the main time quickly and then was in a rush for much of the game. My kids generously gave me +40 reverse komi. With that, I think I would have won if I'd strengthened the L4 wall of stones and not let them get killed. There were many opportunities, but I saved smaller groups or areas instead. I guess I didn't realize how weak that group was.

In any case, I clearly didn't make good use of it for any offensive purpose, so your point questioning the value of central influence is clear!

Again, thanks for the comments.