Post #21 Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:12 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 346
KGS: Artevelde
Tygem: Knotwilg
Main points, upside and downside

+ You count well.
+ You go for sente moves and don't follow the opponent around.
+ Nice sacrifice tactics. 91, 109
- I think you underestimated White's influence across the board when you made your positional judgment at 63
- Beware of large knight jumps in the opponent's sphere of influence. 65, 135

BTW - a KGS teacher predicting you'll remain 5k forever doesn't sound like a real teacher to me, more like a bully.

edit: I read your first post

Quote:
There was this 2d player on KGS who would regularly offer even teaching games to DDK and SDK players. He would beat me easily every game, and then make comments like "you have no reading power or global awareness", "you play really slow, and even after a lot of time you still make s*** moves", "you are in the forever 5kyu club".

That's not a teacher but a bully indeed, finding himself kyu players to boost his low self esteem under the pretext of "teaching game". BAH! Avoid that guy until you've become 2d yourself and the go back to beat the hell out of him.

Post subject: Re: My Journey to 1Dan... Will I ever get there
Post #22 Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:11 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
OGS: 8k
Knotwilg - Thank you for reviewing my game! Yeah my positional judgement at move 63 was definitely not accurate since I got pretty much everything that I wanted (and more) and the game was still close. Sometimes my "value network" is very biased and optimistic. You are right that if the program had attacked my group on the left side early I would have been in trouble. I will try to be more cautious with my extensions when I am in my opponent's area of influence.

I am not very talented so I think I will need to work really hard and get a lot of external help to reach 2d, but I certainly hope to prove the KGS teacher wrong someday!

Post #23 Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:12 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
OGS: 8k
I got my OGS ranking to 4k under the old system! Since the old ranking system is going to be eliminated soon this is the probably the last time I will post about it. Under the new ranking system I am rated 3k. Although the new rating system is not as difficult, it does seem to give a more accurate strength assessment of the players on the server.

Here are the two games that got me to 4k under the old system. I won both games somewhat comfortably, so I won't comment on them.

Attachments:
4kyuOGS.png
4kyuOGS.png [ 180.38 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
9516151-253-feiqij-Moskau-2013.sgf [2.14 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times
9424296-161-rgilhutton-feiqij.sgf [1.37 KiB]
Downloaded 67 times

Post #24 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:29 pm 
Lives in sente

This game is very convincing. It is hard already for me to find bad moves. All the comments you will find here are suggestions and impressions. There's nothing going on that I could significantly improve upon. This means you are already playing like a dan player (if you grant me my dan status).

In particular:

1) Your sense of direction, taking sente to play elsewhere and choosing the right area, is impressive for a 9k. It's dan level according to me.

6, 22, 114, 124

2) You make good shape. It seems you have well trained in that aspect

10, 26, 36, 64, 78, 82

3) You don't make it more complicated than necessary. Your game play speaks of confidence inducing calmness. You are hardly ever unreasonable.

14, 102, 106

4) The attachments to stir up an exchange were really well timed and well chosen. You had other displays of indirect attacks too.

48, 56, 90 (also examples of 1)

If there is one thing to learn from this game besides continuing all the good stuff, it's the shape discussion at 84. If you find yourself making a very dull move, in particular here making an empty triangle, at a place where the opponent would make an empty triangle as well, it's worth explorint alternatives;

Post #25 Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:46 pm 
Lives in sente

I'll tell this game comment as a story.

Up until 33 this could be a pro game, by my standards. Both players understand direction, strength of stones and even a fairly difficult joseki is played out correctly.

At 34-35 both players overstretch (imho) and this creates bad aji for both in the bottom right, which becomes unsettled as a whole and quite "hot".

37 is a rare artefact of what used to be your bad habit of playing too close to strength. Fortunately, White makes technical mistakes so that the damage is not too big

51 is another such slow & gluttonous move, focusing on the moyo and ignoring the hot temperature at the bottom

What follows is a great display of attacking skill, converting the moyo by killing a large group at 81. It is quite impressive how you continuously shift between attack & defence, and make all the right choices technically (to my eyes, as always)

White 82 is then an attempt to recover by attacking the weak bottom. You defend gloriously by creating outside influence and sacrificing the territory.

At 119 your group is definitively safe and the game is in the pocket

In the end you even annihilate his right side moyo. It was a little unreasonable but I actually think it's good for you to be a bit more unreasonable especially if that challenges you to read it out. Your style is already so composed that you need more complicated situations to grow.

BTW, I would not wait too long before challenging that bully of a teacher of yours. Before you know, you may be 5d and find no pleasure anymore in beating the hell out of him.