Post subject: Re: Hushfield's Study Journal
Post #41 Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:56 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Hushfield wrote:
Training Program
Weekly
- Do a lot of tsumego, following Benjamin Teuber's method of not looking at the answers ever. I firmly believe in this method.

Leaving aside wether this method is good or bad (I think, it's bad : D), how do you know you got the right answer? Because you think you got it? Because you think, you have thought about every possible defense move?
There is a lot room for mistakes here. I'm sure it is good for your visualizing of Go stones (if you really try to brute-force every alternative you can come up with), but there is the possibility you think your wrong answer is correct, but how will you ever find out?
Lastly, I don't think Benjamin Teuber's advice of not looking at the answers includes checking if you're right, he just says you should not look at the answer, if you have no idea how to solve the problem.

The funny thing is, somewhere I read here that even professional advise to first look at all the answers and then solve the problems.

Hushfield wrote:
Study Materials
Tsumego:
- Kanô, Yoshinori: Graded Go Problems for Beginners, (vols.2 – 4)
- Yi, Ch'ang-ho: Selected Life and Death Go Problems (vols. 1 – 6)
- Chô, Chikun: Encyclopedia of Life and Death (elementary, intermediate and advanced)
- Maeda, Nobuaki: “Life and Death: Intermediate Level”
- Bozulich, Richard: “Five Hundred and One Tesuji Problems”

Books:
Kageyama, Toshirô: “Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go"
Davies, James: “Life and Death”
Davies, James: “Tesuji”

If you just dropped to DDK and peaked at 5k, I would start with Graded Go Problems for Beginners Vol. 3 and 4, because it offers something for every part of the game. I would then start to solve the books by Yi Ch'ang-ho.
If you are past 5k, you can try "501 Tesuji Problems" but they are really nasty (at least if you haven't read "Making Good Shape").
"Life and Death: Intermediate Level" is said to be a good book but you have (in my opinion) enough material with GGPfB and the books by Yi Ch'ang-ho to get past Shodan.
The same thing goes to "Life and Death" by Jamies Davies. I think for not wanting to overkill, you have too many books you want to dig through.

So maybe you want to tighten things up a bit and focus more on specific books.

Good luck! =)

Post #42 Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:55 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
It's been a month since I returned to my go studies. I've worked through 3 tsumego books this month, namely Graded Go Problems for Beginners vol.3 and Lee Chan Ho's Tesuji vols. 1-2. I noticed that with the easier tesuji volumes, I can almost instantly spot the correct move, though it still takes too long to read out whether the move actually works. Getting the reading going again is going slower than expected.

I played over 50 games this past month and have noticed two trends: At first, I played very calmly and started winning a lot of games (against stronger opponents too). In the ASR league I won in even games against 3k and 4k players, and played some calm, good games against players which were rated around my strength. I was quite active (especially during the first 2-3 weeks of the league) and managed to win my division. But even more than winning, it's the games I played that I'm happy with. They show I can play on even footing with stronger players, and should eventually be able to rise to their level.

[sgf-full]http://www.hushfield.com/L19/110615-A1-Igneel-Hushfield-W.sgf[/sgf-full]
(the comments marked H are mine, those marked dv are from my teacher)

Then something changed again, I lost focus and started losing many games because of mistakes in reading and hasty, unbalanced play. I suspect it has to do with a series of close losses I had on tygem, after which I lost confidence, and immediately dropped back to 14k on the server. I had always thought the difference between KGS and Tygem was blown out of proportion, but it's truly a very big difference. The players there seem much stronger than their KGS counterparts with the same rank. I believe this is the result of two things:
1) There are a lot of sandbaggers which makes the rank of your opponent effectively void. I have played against 13k players which were very weak, and then 14k players which ate me alive. This might be a result of the "instability of amateur play" as Kageyama calls it (more on this later), but I believe it's also a result of plain old sandbaggin'.
2) There are players on this server which have played massive amounts of games. I mean thousands. When you play these players you notice their opening and general sense of direction isn't all that good, but they are great at initiating fights and instantly exploiting any weakness in your position. I have lost time and again in middlegame fighting. I also noticed that I also play differently on Tygem than on KGS. It's so easy to get sucked into the hyper-aggressive, blitz play of many of the players here, which severely hampers my ability to look at relations of influence on a larger scale. I get sucked into a fight and find myself waking up to find I've lost a game in about 10 moves.

So, I have some mixed feelings about this month.

Good:
- I played well in the ASR league, I think I can even say I managed to rise above my usual play. I have seen that if I put my mind to it, I can play a calm game.
- I retook the playbaduk strength test, and it has the audacity to claim I'm around 2dan EGF in strength. One shouldn't take such tests too seriously, but it does show that in the areas the test measures (namely calm analysis of wholeboard positions), I'm doing fine. That means something else in my play must be severely lacking. Which brings us to the bad:

Bad:
- It seems I still suffer big blows to my mental attitude because of losses and dumb mistakes in reading. Perhaps as a result of my results in the ASR League I got quite concerned with rank and promotion again, and my desire for the win immediately made my play take a nosedive. The fact that I can win in an even game against 3k players and lose to an 8k a few days later shows that something is quite wrong. I need to work on this.
- Perhaps as a result of the change in mental state my reading and middlegame fighting seems to have gotten several stones weaker again. During this period I also changed my approach to tsumego and did look at the answers.

So, just as one needs to analyse single games, one needs to analyse the bigger picture. Do I need to change anything about my study plan?
- When doing tusmego, I've tried looking at the answers, and I've found that though it does provide a faster way to discover new moves, it mainly promotes laziness on my part. I will therefore revert back to the plain old "no-peeking" method of working with tsumego.
- The same should apply to my attitude in-game. I have started playing too many hasty moves, without properly reading out the sequences that flow forth from the stone played. I seem to encounter a few points in almost every game, where I'm just stuck for a move to make. This is usually when it's my turn and I decide to tenuki, needing to invade a framework, etc.. From now on, I'd rather lose on time than play without properly thinking out the move. I'd like to end with a nice quote I found upon re-reading the treasure chest enigma (as someone mentioned it on the boards recently, I think in the "Bestest of Books"-thread). It shall become my motto for my study during July:
Suzuki Tamejiro wrote:
"If you did not know how to play, why did you take a stone from the bowl? [...] The job of a go player is to search for the truth, no matter how long it takes."

Post #43 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:34 pm 
Lives in gote

A wonderful thing has happened. I played an ASR league game today, and then proceeded to review the game. You can find the game below, though what happened in the game seems only of slight importance to the lesson I learned tonight.

[sgf-full]http://www.hushfield.com/L19/110809-A1-Hushfield-DreamC-W.sgf[/sgf-full]

During my review two tsumego (resulting from moves in the same corner position) popped up, and I decided to make solving the two problems the focal point of the review. That was a lot more than two hours ago. I have since given up trying to read everything out in my head, and even when cheating against my self-imposed rule of no peeking at the answer (which during analysis equates to putting stones on the board), I still haven't exhausted all possibilities. As I've stated to the point of being extremely annoying, I firmly believe in solving go problems only by reading my way to the right answer. Find a sequence that works, than consider every other move my opponent could make and refute it, until I arrive at a solution. I thought I had that down. I thought I did that all the time with go problems in books. Only this time, I wrote my analysis down instead of doing it in my head. That showed some disturbing things. I wanted to consider all possibilities, as I thought I had always done with L&D problems. But I didn't.

1. White to kill
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc White to kill the lower left corner
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . O O . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O , O . O O X X X . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . X O . . O O X O . . . X X . . . . . |
$$ | . . X X X O X X . . O . X O . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . X . X X . . . X . O . O . . |
$$ | . . O . . X O O . X X X . . X O X . . |
$$ | . O . . O O . . O O . O O . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O O X O . X . O . X . O . O . X . |
$$ | . X X . X O . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | . . . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ +---------------------------------------+[/go]

My 'solution':
[go]$$Wc
$$ | e X O O X O . X . O . X . O . O . X . |
$$ | h X X 1 X O . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | b c a 2 X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | i 3 d g f . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
This is the solution I thought was correct. I had looked at all variations for black A, B and C (at least I think I did, but I wouldn't be surprised if I forget some), and was convinced that this sequence kills. Some of the other possibilities for black seem plain silly, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't read them out as well. But I hadn't, because I was tired, and ready to admit I have some serious work to do with my reading ability. And true enough, as I write this down, I see the obvious black D, and how white can only get a 2-step ko, which he won't win on this board. So I'll change my 'solution' to:

White can get a 2-step ko
[go]$$Wc The ko appears with white 7
$$ | 7 X O O X O . X . O . X . O . O . X . |
$$ | . X X 1 X O . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | 5 6 . 2 X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | a 3 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
2. Black to live
[go]$$Bc Black to live in the lower left corner
$$ | O X O O X O . X . O . X . O . O . X . |
My 'solution'
[go]$$Bc
$$ | O X O O X O . X . O . X . O . O . X . |
$$ | . X X a X O . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | . b . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
I looked at sequences starting with black a, and this seemed alive, but as I have discovered a better answer with black d in the first problem, it seems like just playing black B here also makes life, and the sequences with black B seem much easier to read out
It is now almost three hours later, and I'm reminded of the saying "experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want." So here I am, experiencing my inability to read out a simple corner position. I may have made mistakes in my analysis of the previous two problems. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it. But this is my current ability, and I'll have to do a lot better if I ever want to be a dan-player. So more tsumego for me. A lot more :mrgreen:

I remember John Fairbairn recently saying somewhere on L19 that even professionals miss certain sequences, and I'll admit that I thought something along the lines of "Blasphemy! Surely they consider every possible move in every line of play, and base their play not only on the result which gives the most points locally, but also includes matters of possible ko-threats, aji, strength of surrounding positions, etc." And actually, I still believe they do. I know I'm no amateur 6-dan, and I'll have a lifetime of study in front of me if I ever want to achieve that, but seriously. I can't even completely read out a corner position like this? That's plain depressing. And inspiring too. Never have I felt more respect for the players that do manage to look at a position from all possible angles, and manage to completely read it out. My hat off to you, mad geniuses. :salute:

I'm off to do about 10.000 go problems now. Thank you for reading. Oh, and if you have some comments about the game, I'll be more than happy to hear them.

This post by Hushfield was liked by: stalkor

Post #44 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 704
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Have you seen this gokyo shumyo problem before?

Post #45 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:17 pm 
Lives in gote

emeraldemon wrote:
Have you seen this gokyo shumyo problem before?
Well, hello there. This seems familiar. I couldn't resist and looked at the SL solution page. It appears that this is a slightly altered version of the problem, in which the best black can do is get a thousand year ko (which might very well turn into seki later on). Seems my proposed solution B for the black to live problem overlooks a white double atari, so A is the best option for black.

I haven't started the gokyo shumyo, I'd love to dive into some of the classical tsumego collections, but I want to feel confident about my solving the graded go problems for beginners vols.1-4, yi changho's life and death vols.1-6 and yi changho's tesuji vols.1-6 first. Right, off to bed with some yi changho book. Thanks for the info. Oh by the way, I haven't seen you on KGS in a while, are we still good to play our L19 tournament game? When would be a good time for you?

Post #46 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 704
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Sorry, I'll definitely be on Saturday AM (my time), if I don't see you earlier lets plan on then.

Post #47 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 41
KGS: tictac
in the first problem what about W at b1
my readni is horrible, so i think for us what important is to have good heuristics to read better candidates first.

Here i see the following reason to try it :
-1-2 is the classic vital point of the corner
-1-2-3 principle: why not try your 3rd move first ?
- the opponent move is my move :b1 in the move in B to live problem
- it let open the possibilty of the placement at D2 not available after the D3 D4 exchange

Have you considered it ?
For example if you try B defense on your line you benefit from the absence of :black: at D2:
[go]$$Wc Dead ?
$$ | . . 4 . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 1 2 3 5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

if B2 (the more natural reply) you then play d4 and after D3 this kills i think ? ):
[go]$$Wc B dead?
$$ | 8 X X 3 X O . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | 7 2 . 4 X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | 6 1 5 . 9 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

i probably forgot something :razz:

Post #48 Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 378
Was liked: 375
I don't think that after the push at :w1:, white can even get a ko:

[go]$$Wc
$$ | 6 X X 1 X O . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ | 5 . . 2 X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . 3 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

There is a way to get a clean kill though, which I've hidden in case you want to read it out some more:
[go]$$Wc
$$ | . . . . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Can you read it from here?

[go]$$Wc
$$ | y X O O X O . X . O . X . O . O . X . |
$$ | b . . . X O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . a x . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

If black 'a', white 'b'; if black 'x', white 'y'.

See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMPYPUxqbTw&NR=1

No understanding of what is now, no knowledge of what will be.