It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abyssinica's Study Journal
Post #141 Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 25
Was liked: 124
KGS: STOP STALKING ME
ez4u wrote:
Look at the diagram carefully. Both Black and White end up peeping at both sides of bamboo joints. This isn't mundane; it is bad shape. If I were White, I think I would have answered Black 1 with a play at 3 to prevent Black from making shape. White is happy to let Black hane either above or below H3 because White already has the stone at K3 in support. The K3 stone ends up over-concentrated in the game.

I think I'll need to have a word with Mister Cho Hunhyun then. :rambo:

Post #142 Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:47 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2341
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Abyssinica wrote:
ez4u wrote:
Look at the diagram carefully. Both Black and White end up peeping at both sides of bamboo joints. This isn't mundane; it is bad shape. If I were White, I think I would have answered Black 1 with a play at 3 to prevent Black from making shape. White is happy to let Black hane either above or below H3 because White already has the stone at K3 in support. The K3 stone ends up over-concentrated in the game.

Give him my regards when you talk to him! But more seriously, since we can't really understand what players at that level were thinking when they made the choices that they did, how shall we decide which moves to admire and take away with us and which not to? I won't beat either Cho or Nie whatever I choose - that I can be sure of! But I will continue to happily be suspicious of peeping at bamboo joints. :salute:

Post #143 Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:19 pm 
Lives in gote

To be honest, I saw it as one giant inducing exchange. To explain my thoughts:

After black slid into the corner with e2, I cannot imaging him giving up the entire group. I didn't even think he would save the stone to begin with. When he bumps against the white stone with 1, because it is an attachment, it becomes urgent for white to respond. He can respond with a nobi or hane, and white chooses the nobi of two. Now I see that black is getting even more surrounded, so the 1-2 exchange induces black 3 rather than simply playing 3. Black 3 makes the push and cut for white look a bit dangerous in my eyes, so black 3 induces white to play 4 and defend himself which in turn induces black 5 - the whole thing for black to somewhat move out into the centre and stay connected.

That's how I saw it, and it might just be entirely wrong. Oh well.

Post #144 Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:40 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
ez4u wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:
ez4u wrote:

Give him my regards when you talk to him! But more seriously, since we can't really understand what players at that level were thinking when they made the choices that they did, how shall we decide which moves to admire and take away with us and which not to? I won't beat either Cho or Nie whatever I choose - that I can be sure of! But I will continue to happily be suspicious of peeping at bamboo joints. :salute:

If the shape for both is equally bad, it strikes me as a fair trade, at least. Whether one or the other side could have done better is an open question, however.

Post #145 Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 am 
Lives in gote

Even against a 3k (He is white with komi) W+10.5

This is fine since he is 3k and I made bad endgame decisions; I'm glad to have it close

Even against a 4k - I'm not paying attention and I should've connected something rather than deny him an eye and then have him live. This is before 50 moves in the game and he would have a 1 or no eyes 10-20 stone group that had to run. But I don't pay attention and he is just fine and now I am the one with the weak group and I resign later on.

Even against a 6k - I win comfortably.

Even against a 5k - Entering late endgame with a 20 point lead. I even say to myself that I should win if I don't do something stupid and die. I see a chance to trade 4 of my stones for 5 of his, so I take it. Too bad I completely missed the part where he falsified the eye of my group because of that and HE ends up with the 20 point lead.

Why are mistakes in Go like this so much harder to take well than anything else.

Post subject:
Post #146 Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:31 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Abyssinica wrote:
Why are mistakes in Go like this so much harder to take well than anything else.
See also Dunning–Kruger effect .

Post #147 Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
The 5k game: When the board fills up with stones, it becomes increasingly difficult (for some) to keep track of group statuses and not be caught up in material matters.

If you consistently throw away acquired advantages late in the game, you can invest a move in reducing risk.

If it's a one time occurrence, get over it.

The 4k game: this is a whole different matter. It feels like early resignation. Can you show it?

Post #148 Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:06 am 
Lives in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
The 5k game: When the board fills up with stones, it becomes increasingly difficult (for some) to keep track of group statuses and not be caught up in material matters.

If you consistently throw away acquired advantages late in the game, you can invest a move in reducing risk.

If it's a one time occurrence, get over it.

The 4k game: this is a whole different matter. It feels like early resignation. Can you show it?

I will show it up to the blatant mistake. Clearly in those last few moves black is not paying attention.

http://eidogo.com/#2r5TBrIh2

Post #149 Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:24 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
I see. :b41: is indeed an unfortunate oversight, but other than not capitalizing on White's earlier poor play, Black is still doing quite well in this game. So perhaps you should not be too disappointed about such local failures, look at the big picture and move on.

As I have described in other posts, not being unsettled by a major setback and recomposing yourself can have tremendous impact on your winning percentage.
The point of resignation is not shown here but I can sense that it was more a self defeating attitude than the local loss itself that brought it about.

Post #150 Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 am 
Lives in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
I see. :b41: is indeed an unfortunate oversight, but other than not capitalizing on White's earlier poor play, Black is still doing quite well in this game. So perhaps you should not be too disappointed about such local failures, look at the big picture and move on.

As I have described in other posts, not being unsettled by a major setback and recomposing yourself can have tremendous impact on your winning percentage.
The point of resignation is not shown here but I can sense that it was more a self defeating attitude than the local loss itself that brought it about.

I died with said black group on a large scale about 100 moves later. I was probably still not composed when I continued on from this position.

Post #151 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 am 
Lives in gote

I am white - towards the very end after white 110 I do really really REALLY dumb things. Until then, I'm proud of my game somewhat.

http://eidogo.com/#4lCLlgXsJ

This is against the same person I played in viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10542 about one month ago.

Check the second variation because I messed up black 1.

Every move I make that I immediately think "What was I thinking!?" after playing it is marked with an A.
The marked triangled stone I made after a few minutes of thinking - I wanted to defend my group since it didn't have two literal eyes and was behind black's sector line. I can attempt to be patient about gaining profit, but the rest of my play in the game is a lot more profit oriented than usual.

White 110 is really unfortunate since I was looking at R16, but thought I'd cut and see what happens and subsequently go full retard.

Instead of white D2, I could possibly concentrate on, you know, letting my top left corner not get sealed in...

Post #152 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:22 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Abyssinica wrote:
Even against a 3k (He is white with komi) W+10.5

This is fine since he is 3k and I made bad endgame decisions; I'm glad to have it close

Even against a 4k - I'm not paying attention and I should've connected something rather than deny him an eye and then have him live. This is before 50 moves in the game and he would have a 1 or no eyes 10-20 stone group that had to run. But I don't pay attention and he is just fine and now I am the one with the weak group and I resign later on.

Even against a 6k - I win comfortably.

Even against a 5k - Entering late endgame with a 20 point lead. I even say to myself that I should win if I don't do something stupid and die. I see a chance to trade 4 of my stones for 5 of his, so I take it. Too bad I completely missed the part where he falsified the eye of my group because of that and HE ends up with the 20 point lead.

(Emphasis added.)

Simple. You are not playing up to yourself. As bridge great Terence Reese said, someone who plays up to himself is hard to beat. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #153 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:30 am 
Lives in gote

Bill Spight wrote:

(Emphasis added.)

Simple. You are not playing up to yourself. As bridge great Terence Reese said, someone who plays up to himself is hard to beat. :)

I might be a native English speaker, but I can't tell exactly what "Playing up to yourself" means - when I google it all the results are for people asking what does "Play with yourself" mean. :-?

Post subject:
Post #154 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 pm 
Honinbo

Abyssinica wrote:
Even against a 4k - I'm not paying attention
I think, and Bill please correct me if I'm wrong, he means you are not playing at your true level.
See his emphasis on your quote.

However, my take is slightly different: I think you are playing at your true level.
"Not paying attention" enough is part of your current level.
If you can consistently fix this attention problem, then you will have improved,
and you will have moved on to another level -- but that's not your current level;
that will be your future level, if you work on it.

Post subject: Re:
Post #155 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm 
Lives in gote

EdLee wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:
I think, and Bill please correct me if I'm wrong, he means you are not playing at your true level.

However, my take is slightly different: I think you are playing at your true level.
If you can consistently fix this attention problem, then you will have improved,
and you will have moved on to another level -- but that's not your current level;

I completely agree. Let me share a quote from one of my friends:

Quote:
Obvious blunders like missing a big atari happen and there's nothing you can do. Concentration fails. It doesn't affect your strength.

It's the blunders you don't know you made that are the problem...

I disagreed and said that blunders are are part of your strength and reducing the blunder rate is a factor of naturally getting stronger.

Post subject:
Post #156 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:23 pm 
Honinbo

Abyssinica wrote:
I disagreed and said that blunders are are part of your strength and reducing the blunder rate is a factor of naturally getting stronger.
Right. Of course, even 9p's make self-ataris. They're just super rare. It means we are only human, after all.

But if we are constantly making silly mistakes, that's our level.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #157 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Abyssinica wrote:
EdLee wrote:
Abyssinica wrote:

I completely agree. Let me share a quote from one of my friends:

Quote:
Obvious blunders like missing a big atari happen and there's nothing you can do. Concentration fails. It doesn't affect your strength.

It's the blunders you don't know you made that are the problem...

Playing up to yourself doesn't mean avoiding mistakes that you know not to make. As you say, that happens. Golf great Gene Sarazen said that he knew that he would make two bad shots per round, so if he made one, it didn't bother him. But it certainly would have bothered him if he had made four bad shots in a round. He would not have been playing up to himself. Go is a game of endurance. If you try to play at 100% of your capacity all the time, you are setting yourself up to make blunders when you cannot keep up the pace. Playing up to yourself means finding and playing within your zone of competence, so that you do not make too many blunders, because you do not play in ways that cause you to make blunders. It means seeing a false eye because you are looking for false eyes. It means paying attention. Even a 30 kyu can pay attention. It means deciding upon a play before you make it. It means not dithering. I have told the story a few times about the Korean 5 dan who visited our club and remarked about some players who were around 7 kyu, "Why are they taking so long when they have nothing to think about?" That remark was a bit unkind, but at best they were wasting time and energy trying to read out positions that were beyond their capacity to read out, instead of taking a reasonable amount of time and effort to think and then using their judgement to decide upon a play. That is the kind of thing that leads to later blunders.

If you are making errors that you kick yourself about, that is prima facie evidence that you are not playing up to yourself.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject:
Post #158 Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:09 pm 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:
the Korean 5 dan who visited our club and remarked about some players who were around 7 kyu,
"Why are they taking so long when they have nothing to think about?"
Two possible factors (there may be others):

• the 5d forgot how he played when he himself was kyu.
    So easy for us to just think of our current understanding and forget at one point, we were there, too.
    Most likely the 5d started when he was a kid, so he never played slowly as a beginner (most kids play super fast).
    He simply never had the experience of being a kyu person as an adult and taking a long time on moves.
    Of course he could not relate to them -- he had no idea how they think and feel.
  • the 7k's had no idea they were wasting most of their time reading bad moves or variations beyond their level.
    If they knew, they would not be wasting so much time, and they would not be their level -- they would be better.
    That they did not know, and that they thought so long, was exactly their level.

This post by EdLee was liked by: oca

Post #159 Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:30 am 
Lives in gote

Beat a 4k in an even game as white by 23.5. We checked the game afterwards and, yes, there were many places where I could've either killed him (Two places), or one place where he could've not made a small move and gotton a huge lead over me. Still happy. :salute:

Post #160 Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Sounds like you'll be beating down on me soon enough. Good work. :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next