It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My journal ( regiongo)
Post #21 Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:42 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: leather
Hi guys hows life in 19x19 going. been on kgs too much to stop by lately im going to post a few of my favorite games tommorow. im roughly 11-9kyu atm (im the pits at blitz lost 4 blitz games today on time even though i was ahead and another from a misclick due to lack of time) anyway my goal is to make 1 dan by christmas December 26th. the major roadblock to this is my proccupation with playing games. all i ever do is play games. and im playing whenever I can get the computer. My question is which is more important for me general go theory/knoledge. or Tsumego/Go problems. if your undecided you could very well wait until tommorow when I will post my games.

Post #22 Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 pm 
Dies in gote

Well guys i took a mini,cation and when i came back i was roughly 3-4 stones stronger imagine my surprise. Im knockin around 7-6 kyu still hoping to make dan by christmas although its starting to seem unlikely. I think tomorrow Im going to start the entire le chang ho easy set and not play another game of go until i finish. thats gonna be hard.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:00 am 
Dies in gote

Hi guys long tim no post, A week after new years im still a SDK 6-4 kyu now although the account says 8kyu ive been playing and winning most even games against 7 and 6 kyu asr league is great for that.

Im going to break down what ive been doing so far. Playing A buttload of 30-45 minute long games at least 200 in the last month I need to diversify a bit and get a more big picture mindset, when my opponent does this i can compensate by doing this etc etc.

Any more tips on good study material. Also i need to play more teaching games with stronger players so if anyone might be able to play a game once a week that would be much appreciated please email at Patrickpettibone@gmail.com.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:29 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 2
KGS: dtslife
1. I think studying tsumego is your best bet.
http://gochild2009.appspot.com/ Good review for sdk.
http://www.hitachi.co.jp/Sp/tsumego/index-e.html Minoru Harada's 8d tsumego collection. Easy and Intermediate problems. These problems are still challenging for me. Problems are in pdf format.

2. Study strategy including joseki choice.

I read Janice Kim's Battle strategies as a 15 kyu and advanced all the way to 5 kyu.
For advanced attacking analysis try Jamie Davies' Attack and defense. (discusses leaning and splitting attacks)

Kogo's Joseki Dictionary Don't use Kogo's as your only joseki reference, though I must personally admit that I didn't start using other joseki sources until recently. Rather, I just tried to memorize a few variations of the 4-4 and 3-4 josekis. Those are the most common.

Today I read Opening Theory Made Easy by Otake Hideo 9p and it synthesized a lot of the principles for choosing the right joseki.
Started reading 38 Basic Joseki after reading about it here in Lifein19x19, and found it useful thus far.

I heard lessons in the fundamental of go by yilun yang is very useful and is standard.
Here is a book list from tiger's mouth odinhs 3d book list

To get to shodan: i'm in the same boat
I'm inching my way through John Power's Invincible: The Games of Shusaku and playing out the games on actual goban.
Might want to try the breakthrough to shodan.
Study tsumego.
Good luck!

Post #25 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
regiongo wrote:
Hi guys long tim no post, A week after new years im still a SDK 6-4 kyu now although the account says 8kyu ive been playing and winning most even games against 7 and 6 kyu asr league is great for that.

I guess it would not be a bad idea to update your L19 rank information :D

Last edited by karaklis on Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 pm 
Dies in gote

Im a big fan of gochild great set of problems. Should I really study joseki? By the way i added my kgs name its leather

Post #27 Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:22 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
regiongo wrote:
Should I really study joseki?

My thought: If you play a game where you get ripped off in one corner, look up where either player deviated from joseki. Understand why that move was different, and you'll be able to avoid that trap again. If no one deviated from joseki, try to figure out why the joseki was bad globally in the situation. Also, if you are curious about any specific possible moves in a corner situation, look them up, of course.

Post #28 Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:35 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 2
KGS: dtslife
I agree with chew terr that it is important to review joseki mistakes. I think that it is more important to understand the theory behind joseki and how to attack the opponent. Sometime the joseki is not the best choice, and when I watch high dan games on kgs, i notice that some dans tenuki a lot.

Personally, my joseki knowledge accumulates after i notice repeated mistakes and bother to learn the troublesome joseki.