It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bki's study journal
Post #21 Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 14
KGS: Bki
IGS: mlbki
1001 L&D : Finished the 332 first problems... Hum, I actually did one more page than usual...

Daily game :

I won this because my opponent let me hane at the end of his two stones :). Funnily I had just read "The struggle to get ahead" in Lessons in the Fundamentals beforehand.

Attachments:
denglijun-bki.sgf [7.77 KiB]
Downloaded 591 times

Post subject:
Post #22 Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Bki,

:b15: maybe your var (J15) is better.
Another possibility is peep N16, followed by N17.

:b21: maybe still N16, N17;
or, just jump directly L13.

:b25: not sure about this direction.

:b27: W gives you a chance to link up (N14, etc.)
in exchange for small life in the corner. Hmmm...

:b37: result of this sequence seems good for W.
Maybe just jump K9.

:w86: jump L3.

:white: 110 H7 kosumi.

:black: 115 Bad exchange; bad sente. You killed your R3 aji.

:white: 120 Strange. Follow through with E4.

:white: 124 maybe E14 bigger.

:white: 132 yes, D10 get ahead is better.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bki

Post #23 Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 am 
Lives with ko

Hi EdLee.

My first instincts on peeps is "don't". I read so much about how much player have the bad habit of strengthening the opponent by peeping that I ended up having the opposite problem.

But here, I don't have many chance to cut because I'm two spaces away from that group. It doesn't strengthen him that much because it also limit his eyespace. And then I can turn back and attack two groups at once without worry about mine while making territory on the right side.

I need to consider the peep more often.

Post subject:
Post #24 Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:11 am 
Honinbo

Bki wrote:
My first instincts on peeps is "don't". I read so much about how much player have the bad habit of strengthening the opponent by peeping that I ended up having the opposite problem.
Basically at these levels,
we easily get confused.
Example: when a peep is bad, we play it.
When a peep is good, we miss it.

The same for other forcing moves (e.g. :black: 115 ).

You are correct about your situation with peeps:
your instinct is wrong about avoiding peeps.
Instead, assess each case individually.
Get rid of your mental block about peeps,
and other aspects of Go.
(Touched on in a previous discussion: posts 12, 13.)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bki

Post #25 Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:54 am 
Lives with ko

Could you elaborate on the R3 aji? :b3: here seems to be the only move. If :w4: hane at R1, then S1, Q1, T2 and connecting with R6 and living in the corner are miai, but if :w4: descend as in the diagram, then what? S1 is no longer sente, so black can no longer live and :b5: is forced, but after :w8:, black lose the capturing race.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c
$$OOXXOOXX.|
$$..XO..OOX|
$$OOXO.O.X.|
$$..XO...X.|
$$OOXOX.X..|
$$OXXO.76O.|
$$OX.O.O58.|
$$XX..O21..|
$$...XXO3..|
$$.....4...|
$$---------[/go]

Post #26 Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:29 am 
Lives with ko

L&D : At the 388th problem. If I have the courage, I might finish the one move problem later.

Game : Had a fun fighting game today. There's not enough people playing the takamoku. I made some mistakes, but my opponent didn't know how to handle them, so it's his own fault. Why choose a variation if you don't know it well enough (or is confident in your reading) to get a superior result if your opponent deviate?

Attachments:
Gozam-bki.sgf [7.1 KiB]
Downloaded 574 times

Post #27 Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 61
Was liked: 250
Bki wrote:
Could you elaborate on the R3 aji?
How about going back one move? Your slide to P2 was interesting, daring W to block at O2. I presume you had some plan to handle that, using the corner aji. But when W blocked at P3, you chickened out and connected at O2. Why not go all in, extending to Q2 or even R3? If you play Q2 and W blocks at O2, you have moves like R3 or S3 or R4 to try to live in the corner. It looks to me like there is enough aji to at least get a ko for life. Since B is far behind, this seems like a golden opportunity.

Post #28 Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:07 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Bki wrote:
Could you elaborate on the R3 aji? :b3: here seems to be the only move. If :w4: hane at R1, then S1, Q1, T2 and connecting with R6 and living in the corner are miai, but if :w4: descend as in the diagram, then what? S1 is no longer sente, so black can no longer live and :b5: is forced, but after :w8:, black lose the capturing race.

[go]$$c
$$OOXXOOXX.|
$$..XO..OOX|
$$OOXO.O.X.|
$$..XO...X.|
$$OOXOX.X..|
$$OXXO.76O.|
$$OX.O.O58.|
$$XX..O21..|
$$...XXO3..|
$$.....4...|
$$---------[/go]

If cutting doesn't work, what about trying to live. The "my opponent's good move is my good move" idea.

[go]$$c
$$OOXXOOXX.|
$$..XO..OOX|
$$OOXO.O.X.|
$$..XO...X.|
$$OOXOX.X..|
$$OXXO..6O.|
$$OX.O.O57.|
$$XX..O21..|
$$...XXO3..|
$$.....4...|
$$---------[/go]

It looks like an L group which is dead, but you can threaten to connect to increase your eyespace in sente.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bki

Post #29 Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:06 am 
Lives with ko

L&D : At the 450th problem of 1001 L&D problems. So far the 3 moves problems aren't really more difficult.

I won a lost game today. At the start of the endgame, I counted and found myself losing, but didn't count well enough and though that this could still be won, so I didn't resign. Then my opponent missed that I had set up a semedori, and then when I punished him he let me capture 4 stone and save 3 of mine, instead of only letting me capturing two.

Without that double blunder, I would have lost.

I also missed a golden opportunity to cut off a big part of his group and kill it earlier in the middle game, which would have allowed me to win the game comfortably. The last player to blunder win the game, heh?

(And earlier, I also let him living in the corner when he should have died had I not given him the opportunity to connect in sente).

Attachments:
yukimiku-bki.sgf [7.93 KiB]
Downloaded 540 times

Post #30 Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:10 am 
Lives with ko

L&D : Not in the mind today, but I still did up to the 500th. Still, I didn't put as much effort as usual, and it showed in the number of mistake I made.

Game : I would like to feel proud of my wins for once. I mean, I make the dubious strategical decision to stake the game on whether or not I can kill a large group in the centre, but then surround it in a way that leave too much weaknesses, and come a point where my options are limited, I play the only move that leave me with some sort of chance, only to read out during my opponent time that actually, no, it doesn't work. And then he answer wrongly leading to his death. It's difficult to be happy about winning in such situations. I would prefer to have my mistake ruthlessly punished that way I would be more careful in subsequent games.

Attachments:
bki-tal23.sgf [4.74 KiB]
Downloaded 539 times

Post #31 Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
Bki wrote:
I mean, I make the dubious strategical decision to stake the game on whether or not I can kill a large group in the centre, but then surround it in a way that leave too much weaknesses, and come a point where my options are limited.

Actually if you has played :w92: one to the left, your attack might have been sustainable.

Post #32 Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:59 am 
Lives with ko

Charles Matthews wrote:
Bki wrote:
I mean, I make the dubious strategical decision to stake the game on whether or not I can kill a large group in the centre, but then surround it in a way that leave too much weaknesses, and come a point where my options are limited.

Actually if you has played :w92: one to the left, your attack might have been sustainable.

First reaction : This? What a strange move. Yes, if black connect, then G9 surround him. But that's too much to ask for the opponent to play like this.

Then I play a few variations, and, miracle, it turns out that D10 is extremely well positioned if Black try to resist with G9. I'm not quite sure whether it would be sufficient (the cut at H7 is still painful and complicated), but it's clearly a better move than :w92: in the game.

Post #33 Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:07 am 
Lives with ko

L&D : Given how well it went yesterday, I decided to change a little my problem routine : rather than doing 50 problems at once in a hour or so, I will do them in smaller chunk during the day. When doing too much at once, I find myself rushing them after a certain point.

Game : Finally a game where I feel like I deserved somewhat the victory. I mean, yes my opponent did make many mistakes, but I was in control of the game, and it was not a case of him making a blunder after the outcome had already been decided.

That said, I doubt he (or she?) was at his best, because it's a slaughter : by the end of the game, Black has two small groups alive on the lower side, and one in the top right corner snaking a bit into the centre. Everything else is mine.

Edit : as an unrelated trivia, game eight of the Yuzo-Shusaku sanjubango is beautiful, in an awe-inspiring way.

Attachments:
bki-akariwan.sgf [7.38 KiB]
Downloaded 544 times

Post #34 Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:59 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
Bki wrote:
Finally a game where I feel like I deserved somewhat the victory.

You have quite a good eye for fighting. On the other hand there are plays that can easily be improved. For example here at :w40: you can play at M4 before any defending, to see what Black will do. (If Black resists it become more interesting to make eyes in the corner.)

Post #35 Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:47 am 
Lives with ko

I finally lost a game.

I think I had a promising position at the start, but overextended while attacking. Nothing died, so the game went to the endgame and I lost by 2.5 points. I thought I was slightly ahead, and didn't bother to count precisely, and indeed I was leading on the board, but I forgot about komi :).

I would be interested on comment on my endgame, because that could easily have made the difference.

Aside from that, when my opponent went to the 3-3 (:w20:), I went with the double hane as the regular variation felt over-concentrated, but giving my opponent a ponnuki on the open side may not have been a good exchange. I wonder what other think about that.

Also, :w48:. I expected F3. The advantage of what he played is clear : it's better in depriving B of his base. But what about the drawbacks? (Not saying that one is right and the other is wrong, obviously).

I think I feel more comfortable playing as white.

Attachments:
yosomi-bki.sgf [7.33 KiB]
Downloaded 513 times

Post #36 Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:14 am 
Lives with ko

I finished (yesterday) the Black to Live portion of the 3 move problems of 1001 L&D problems. Will start on the black to kill today.

Played a 2 stone handicap game today (as black). The game was close, even without my opponent making a fatal overplay, and later on missed a defensive play (though that last one only widened my win). I didn't handle the top left corner as well as I could have. Also, I lost a big endgame because I cut him the wrong way (Admittedly, I played the way that connected firmly my groups, but it also didn't remove one of his liberty).

Comments on my endgame, both in this game and the previous one, would be very appreciated. This one part of my game I'm not really satisfied with, but at the same time I've got no idea whether or not it is actually good.

Attachments:
riru123-bki.sgf [7.67 KiB]
Downloaded 499 times

Post #37 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:59 am 
Lives with ko

I am at 700 problem done in 1001 L&D problems. Less than a week before I finish it.

I played a game yesterday, but was tired and it was depressing so I didn't found the time and courage to review it. This was a two stone games (though I feel my opponent was stronger than 3k, which may be possible since he had a ? rating) and after the first few moves, I panicked a little because I let White develop too well on the board, then the game got complicated and many things died.

Today's game went quite a bit better. Well, I made one potential big mistake (black 104) which accomplished nothing but gave him the potential to kill my corner (or at least engage in a complicated capturing race) and let his agonizing group live. But he kindly let me live and hurt his top badly.

Attachments:
moai6565-bki.sgf [6.59 KiB]
Downloaded 504 times

Post subject:
Post #38 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:35 am 
Honinbo

Hi Bki,

:b10: may be a bad habit ? (Block with :b12: directly.)

:w29: locally your UR corner suffers.

:b32: may be a bad habit. (Take.)

:b44: entirely differnt situation with :b14: .

:b66: may be a bad habit.

:w75: why is this sente ? (Re: :b32: )

Post subject: Re:
Post #39 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:49 am 
Lives with ko

EdLee wrote:
Hi Bki,

:b10: may be a bad habit ? (Block with :b12: directly.)

Hum... maybe? Actually, I first considered blocking directly in the game, but I thought "He will block at E17. Meanwhile, if I play :b10: before, I can later aim for the cut."

Now that I think about it, though, if white block at E17, then I keep sente.

Though, having the F18 capture available is good for my corner group life. Without it the descent at B14 is threaten to kill the corner with B15, which may allow him to do something on the side depending on how things go.

I think I'm aware the push isn't usually good, but in this position was this bad, and if so, why? (apart from taking gote)

Post subject:
Post #40 Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:53 am 
Honinbo

Hi Bki,

:b10: 2 possible reasons:
- the exchange E16-F17 is good for W, bad for you.
- you remove the option of F17 later.
(There may be more reasons.)

I'm not sure if gote is a big issue here:
if you block directly at E18, it's still gote globally.
Quote:
Though, having the F18 capture available is good for my corner group life. Without it the descent at B14 is threaten to kill the corner with B15,
I don't think so (about the life of your corner), but I could be wrong.
Your corner has room. If W B14, just tiger's mouth B17.
Since you tenuki'd with :b8:, it's reasonable
you pay for it with the corner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next