It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shigeki's Journal/Journey
Post #21 Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:14 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
zac wrote:
Reading some books probably can't hurt. Watch out though because buying go books can become something of an obsession...

Ya. Luckily, there isn't an excess of great beginner books.

Post #22 Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:56 am 
Dies in gote

(Game #3) I won?!?

Attachments:
shigeki-MateiMihai.sgf [4.78 KiB]
Downloaded 962 times

Post subject:
Post #23 Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:58 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Shigeki,

:b9: No problem.

:b13: P4.

:b31: you're correct: not needed.

:w38: of course this does not secure the top --
you have an open skirt N18 !

Post subject: Re:
Post #24 Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:22 pm 
Dies in gote

EdLee wrote:
:w38: of course this does not secure the top --
you have an open skirt N18 !

Open skirt...I haven't heard that term before. So I guess I should have turned before the extension.
Thanks for the feedback.

Post #25 Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
I wouldn't play at the top at all. If you block Black on the right, he can either shoulder-hit you on the low corner enclosure or invade. I'd play something more active, using your own stones to attack rather than to defend/surround territory.

My candidate moves are:
'a' might be a nice probe for later. 'b' seems to use your wall from the top, furthermore Black has weaknesses in his bottom right corner shape, so you can play 'c' in the future and threaten connection or establishing the beginning of a base. Though not immediately because attacking the lone black stone is more important.

After you got some stones in the center through the attack on the right, you could play 'd' or go in even deeper, depending on the center.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ +---------------------------------------+
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X X . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . O . . . . . . O O O X X X . |
$$ | . O . O . . . . . , . . . . . O O X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . X . X . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . . a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . b . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . c . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . X X . . . . |
$$ | . O . X . . d . . , . . . X O X X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . X . . O O O O . . |
$$ +---------------------------------------+[/go]

Post #26 Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:37 am 
Dies in gote

That make sense. I saw that weakness earlier in the game but in hindsight, I might have played there too late. I often find invasions hard to visualize so I'm a bit hesitant.

Post #27 Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Regarding securing the top, it's worth considering whether white should have blocked in the other direction instead of playing R16. With Q17, white's wall would be facing the white position in the upper left and give white a lot more potential on the top side. In the game, white's choice gives up potential on the top in exchange for potential on the right, but the right is less interesting because of the existing black group there.

Post #28 Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:11 pm 
Dies in gote

Ya, I think I usually would block in the direction that faces my stones...and in this case, it might have helped with preventing a black center moyo.

Post #29 Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:12 am 
Dies in gote

Update
Didn't play go this week but I did do some problems.

Tsumego Stats

Source: Many Faces of Go
    Level: 0
    Completed: 66%

Source: WBaduk
    Level: Beginner
    Completed: 35%

Source: Sensei's Library
    Completed: 4%

Post #30 Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:04 am 
Dies in gote

Update

I'm slipping into inactivty...that's probably because I recently revived a previous hobby of music production. This is the problem with pastimes. You have to prioritize them among others. I gave up chess so I could focus on go, but it seems like now, Go is taking the backseat to music. I'm still keeping up the tsumego though (somewhat).

Tsumego Progress

Completed: 100%

Level: 10
    Completed: 23%

Completed: 54%

Source: Sensei's Library
    Completed: 6%
---
Accuracy: 163/180 (90.56%)

Post #31 Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:49 pm 
Dies in gote

Update

Tsumego Progress

Completed: 69%

Completed: 61%

Sensei's Library
    Completed: 7%
---
Accuracy: 196/233 (84%)

Post #32 Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:23 am 
Dies in gote

Update

Tsumego Progress

Completed: 92%

Completed: 71%

Sensei's Library
    Completed: 9%
---
Accuracy: 220/285 (77%)

Post #33 Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:32 pm 
Dies in gote

(Game #4) The Comeback

I'm back from a very long haitus, hoping to do things right this time. Incidentally, I recently played a game where I made a comeback from a losing position.

Attachments:
shigeki-pro-crastinator.sgf [1.35 KiB]
Downloaded 761 times

Post #34 Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:22 am 
Dies in gote

Now that I've resumed playing go, I decided to layout how I will do things differently.

• No theory books (at least, not while I'm DDK). There might be some useful information in these books but it just doesn't seem efficient.
  • No difficult tsumego. To spend an extended period of time on a problem would indicate that the solution would be so eye-opening that upon successful completion, I would inadvertently memorize the solution (thereby diminishing its replay value).
  • Consistent practice. On weekends and non-busy days, 2 or more games + some tsumego (no more than 36 new problems). On busy days, some tsumego (no more than 18 new problems). I got the Level Up book series that I hope to finish by the end of next year.
  • Review with ZBaduk. This is a website I discovered recently. Find the major mistakes and move on.
  • Play on OGS. KGS doesn't have enough players near my rank. I don't think I'm strong enough for Fox or Tygem (some day).
  • Occasionally, watch games of players 3-5 stones stronger.
  • Learn the joseki I encounter in a game.

Post #35 Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:33 pm 
Dies in gote

I'm on book 2 of 17 of the Level Up series and I'm liking it so far. I find the tsumego to be a lot more diverse and interesting than the ones I was doing before (corner white group reducing to one eye). Those enclosed pure life and death problems are helpful but it's refreshing to try something different. I initially thought I would coast through the first 5 or so books of the LevelUp series but I'm discovering new things from these capture races in the 28k book. There are also a few problems that have more depth than what the author is discussing (if you read out beyond the solution and/or remove the topic hint).

I also recently discovered the 101weiqi website. This might be my next series of problems after Level Up/Jump Level Up. It appears to have thousands of problems so I guess I don't have to worry about memorizing solutions or running out of tsumego. It's unbelievable that this website is free to access.

I find myself doing more tsumego than I thought I would have time for. The LevelUp series has 6 problems on most pages of the same theme, which makes it easy to divide my work sessions. I was originally restricting the amount of tsumego I do on work days because I need to save my "brain power" for my job, which can be, at times, cognitively intense. However, my job is slowly descending into chaos, so those conservation efforts might not make much of a difference anymore. So, I might as well go through this tsumego series as quickly as possible.

Post #36 Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:20 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
shigeki wrote:
I also recently discovered the 101weiqi website. This might be my next series of problems after Level Up/Jump Level Up. It appears to have thousands of problems so I guess I don't have to worry about memorizing solutions or running out of tsumego. It's unbelievable that this website is free to access.

Since I can't read chinese I don't know any details as to why and how but the website let's you solve A LOT of problems of known (and arguably copyrighted) problem books like both the Yi Ch'ang-Ho tsumego and tesuji series.

Post #37 Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:56 pm 
Dies in gote

I've continued to play a few games a week on OGS. After the rank update, my rank feels much more stable. I don't necessarily feel like I'm improving [vertically] but my move set is definitely expanding [horizontally]. My games are becoming more interesting and challenging to read. I'm not "joseki tenuki"-fancy but my repertoire is more open-minded than it used to be.

I'm on book 4 of 17 of the Level Up series. When I first picked up this series, I intended to apply some spaced-repetition eventually to the problem set. However, it looks like the authors have already beat me to it, and have implemented an SRS system of their own, ingrained in the problem ordering. So, I want to treat this series as a primer on tsumego, something to get me up-and-running on common scenarios but perhaps too repetitive to become part of my finalized study collection.

Post #38 Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:12 pm 
Dies in gote

I think I've improved slightly over the past couple months. It's hard to tell because I haven't been playing as frequently as I was before. Some games feel sandbaggy and other feel more evenly matched. I'm bordering on SDK on both KGS and OGS. I also find it hard to gauge who is winning and sometimes resign prematurely from a "winning position" (according to the AI).

Although I have only played a couple games a week, I've continued to watch games of SDKs on the IGS app and continued my tsumego practice with LevelUp (currently on book 7/17). This has got me thinking about learning styles. I've come across concepts that I understood from observation rather than words. I wonder how much of go can be learnt like this. For instance, would a beginner be able to figure out the concept of a ko fight if no one explained it to them? How about sente/gote? This is part of my reasoning as to not using theory books. I want to see if I can understand these concepts intuitively; then, maybe after passing the rank range that the book was targeting, I can look at the book to see if I already know these concepts.

Post #39 Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Why don't you watch games by high-dan players, or at least by dan players? You will see better moves. Maybe you are afraid not to understand everything but you don't need to understand everything. Just try to guess the next move, read the position, watch the direction of play. Even if you can't read complicated sequences, seeing good shapes should be beneficial.

Post #40 Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 pm 
Dies in gote

jlt wrote:
Why don't you watch games by high-dan players, or at least by dan players?

Ok. I'll try that.

You're right; I was concerned about not understanding anything in these games. Honestly, I don't understand everything in SDK games either. Two dans players might not play out an SDK sequence because they already know the result. Likewise, two pros might not play out a dan sequence. I tried watching SDKs because it seemed like the simpler way and I found immediate improvement with it (at one point, I had a 5-game win streak on OGS).

My thought process was: I don't need to start playing like a pro or a dan, just slightly better as a DDK. I wanted to expand my repertoire but felt that dan level games would expand it further than I can handle. As I've started to adopt some SDK techniques, I realize that I can't read like an SDK and would often blunder local positions but would still have enough points to win the game (if I don't resign prematurely). While watching dan games may [technically] teach me better moves, I worry that my opponents will inevitably call my bluff with complicated variations and I would fold.

So it's an argument out of practicality. Anyways, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback.