It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: PlaySlow
Post #101 Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:33 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 7
KGS: Wretched, Secil, PlaySlow
Tygem: PlaySlow
Wbaduk: Eksert
Yeah, we have tried a more excessive plan but it was not realistic. I am out of house from 8 am to 8 pm because of my work schedule and married, so have to be realistic!
Next month bet is set. Finishing Tesuji again (i have finished it 8 months ago), 15 minutes problems daily, 4 slow games/week (20 minutes minimum), 1 hour working on pro games/weekly (mostly on fuseki and mid game fighting).
We did not set which pro player to review. Any ideas would be appreciated! Since i feel comfortable with Low Chinese opening, maybe it's better to have someone who uses (or used) LC frequently..

Post #102 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:13 pm 
Lives with ko

I have started playing again my weekly games after 1 week of problem solving. The game has no comments, i was black. I used the advantage of him jumping 1 line further. Followed the "Kageyama" principles: Cut if u can, connect if u can.
I also feel my reading is better than last month.. Last month i would have answered his w:16 with M4.
However I did not like the shape i made at the bottom, especially B:15.. But i am happy with the results against 8 kyus so far. 4 win 1 loss!
Somehow i could not show sgf again...

Attachments:
k5go-wretched.sgf [1.01 KiB]
Downloaded 292 times

Post #103 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:07 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
What pros are you studying?

Here's a few recommendations I've gathered from this forum (along with some notes). Speaking of which...I know what I'm doing Saturday evening...

Takemiya Masaki - “Cosmic” (Natural) style. Very influenced/center oriented player
Fujisawa Hideyuki (Shuko) - Large scale, thick moves
Cho Chikun - Model territorial player. Can switch between different territorial styles. Dislikes large-scale josekis.
Otake Hideo - Good shape, abhors vulgar style. Comes from behind. Solid play.
Kobayashi Koichi - Territory. Reduces game by simplifying positions.
Rin Kaiho - Originally territory, later became fighting/influence oriented.
Sakata Eio - Deep reader.
Ishida Yoshio - Good at counting and accurate yose
Kato Masao - Powerful attacker early in career. Later, very good at endgame.
Lee Changho - Older games. Natural, while taking territory. Gives opponent what they want while still winning.

This post by sparky314 was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #104 Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 am 
Lives with ko

I started working on kato masao's games because of his chinese openings at the moment. But reading your comments maybe i would try Shuko maybe because of thick moves.

Post #105 Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 am 
Lives with ko

Finally i am 8 kyu in my main account! Not the best game by me but my opponent played lots of slow moves.

Attachments:
wretched-Neera.sgf [3.28 KiB]
Downloaded 506 times

This post by PlaySlow was liked by: sparky314

Post #106 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:51 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
By 42 the opening is so good for White that I would exceptionally call it over already.
At 44 you should attack from the weaker side towards the stronger side
At 54 you lose tempo. This leads to an exchange which should not have been necessary

You have a good sense of direction.

Last edited by Knotwilg on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #107 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:05 am 
Lives with ko

Thank you for your comments as always Knotwilg! But can you upload the sgf? I have read your comments but might have missed your variations, i guess something had gone wrong with the upload:)

Post #108 Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 pm 
Oza

Done!

Post #109 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:51 am 
Lives with ko

Another game against 8 kyu. This month program is hard. Tesuji is too much time consuming.. and i also become both project and production manager of the factory because of financial issues hit our recruitment plan. Still trying to keep up with the plan though.

*there is an error about uploading the sgf, cannot fix it;(

Attachments:
savedFifteenk-wretched.sgf [2.41 KiB]
Downloaded 278 times

Post #110 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 am 
Oza

Not such a hard game to win this time, with an opponent who's constantly overplaying. An error one easily makes in those circumstances is to attack the oveplays on a small scale. Overplays can even sometimes be punished by almost ignoring them.

That's the theme of this review: attack on a large scale / attack from a distance / ignore the bait.

Post #111 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:54 pm 
Lives with ko

Thank you knotwilg! Your comments are absolutely eye openers, i have made so many unnecessary moves like connecting already alive groups and thought on a very small scale.
I understand almost all of the comments but got one question, regarding :b35: can you show a continuation after hane at the top? I always continue pushing blindly on the 3rd line territory go get a wall in these kinda situations. I know i should have hane'd sometime.

Post subject:
Post #112 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:57 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
PlaySlow wrote:
regarding :b35: , ... a continuation after hane at the top?
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B
$$ -------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?
$$ | . . . 9 7 3 1 O O . . . . . ?
$$ | . . 0 8 6 . 2 X X O O . . . ?
$$ | . . X , . . 4 . . X X . X . ?
$$ | . . . . . . . 5 . . . . . . ?
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?[/go]
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bm11
$$ -------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?
$$ | . 2 1 X X X X O O . . . . . ?
$$ | . . O O O . O X X O O . . . ?
$$ | . . X , . . O . . X X . X . ?
$$ | . . . . . . . X . . . . . . ?
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?[/go]

This post by EdLee was liked by: PlaySlow

Post #113 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:04 pm 
Oza

Hi Playslow

First I must congratulate you with your style, strategy and direction of play. Unlike most beginners/kyus you focus on connection and health of groups, not territory. This gives you thick positions, which in your/our range of strength leads to a higher winning potential, because groups are not going to die inadvertently. You also understand how to use thickness. It rquires patience, a vital attitude in go which you already have.

As you said, you're often connecting strong groups and attacking stones which are not really threatening your position. As you climb the ladder of strength, such "slow play" will eventually start causing trouble. But it is better to learn how to increase your efficiency than fix thinness like most kyus need to do.

About :b35:, that question alone shows your strength because it was a comment I forgot to erase, after realizing that the hane was not good, so once more your thick (slow) play was better:

Post #114 Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:05 pm 
Oza

And Ed Lee saw the same :)

Post #115 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:38 pm 
Lives with ko

Thank you for the encouragement and the comments Edlee & Knotwilg! Hope I will not let you down in the future and continue studying go.
You are giving me serious support and help with all those reviews. The hardest thing for me to go on is the "ladder anxiety". I try to not lose so in the past i chose not to play. Even losing at 8 kyu affects me mentally. If i overcome that & not care about win/loss, I'd get more pleasure from my go.

Here is a much faster and not so eventful game with a handful of questions.

Attachments:
wretched-bertrand88.sgf [7.12 KiB]
Downloaded 448 times

Post #116 Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 159
Was liked: 36
Here's a couple of things I'm doing to combat ladder anxiety:

1. Play on various servers. You'll gain the experience of different styles, while not worrying too much about your rank on a particular server.

2. Challenge yourself to play 100 games, without worrying about winning or losing. Your only goal is to play 100 games. Go ahead and review them, but remember: your goal tonight is just to play 1-2 games to add to this list until you hit 100 games.

3. Local go club. I'm going to try this one soon (social anxiety makes this one difficult). There, you're not concerned with rank, just with playing a good game. I think playing over the board is the easiest way to combat the anxiety.

Also, if you want to play for fun and try to get over the anxiety, instead of reviewing step 2, just burn through 100 games as fast as you can (don't blitz, just play but no reviews). There's even less focus on winning (which helps combat the ladder anxiety).

Let me know how it goes. And also, if you have any tips of your own.

Some good advice:

This post by sparky314 was liked by 2 people: Knotwilg, PlaySlow

Post #117 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 61
Was liked: 250
One comment on the last game. At :w18: you note that it is important to keep your groups connected. The corollary is that it is equally important to keep your opponent’s groups disconnected. After B invades at E3, W is locally stronger and should be the one attacking. If both sides manage to connect safely, the result will likely be acceptable for B. If both sides get disconnected, the fight should favor W. In the actual game, B connected and then broke the W connection, which was bad for W.

I guess this is a long-winded way of suggesting you consider playing :w18: at F4 or :w20: at G4. Of course severe moves like these require reading, since B can push through and cut. But just consider -- the resulting fight may look scary to you, but it should be more frightening to your opponent.

This post by mitsun was liked by 3 people: ez4u, Knotwilg, PlaySlow

Post #118 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:46 am 
Oza

I can thoroughly relate to your fear of playing. Playing "not to lose" is not the most effective, let alone enjoyable, way of improving. If you feel obliged to reviewers like me or EdLee, things get only worse. Ed and myself like reviewing a lot and get some kind of fulfillment out of it. The review is a reward in itself. Surely seeing you progress adds to the pleasure but when it starts putting weight onto your go playing shoulders, that's when it starts having negative effects.

So hereby (magical hand waving) I relieve you of your fears and obligations.

Here's the review of the last game. Thank you for letting me do that :)

Post #119 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:25 pm 
Lives with ko

Thank you for the review and comments :) I have watched Dwyrin's video twice since it directly is related with my issue. I will try to focus enjoying and playing more.

Btw Knotwilg, variations are missing, i hope you didnt delete the sgf with variations:)
Edit: Ah now i see them, when refresh the page. Dont know what happened.

Post #120 Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:30 pm 
Lives with ko

mitsun wrote:
One comment on the last game. At :w18: you note that it is important to keep your groups connected. The corollary is that it is equally important to keep your opponent’s groups disconnected. After B invades at E3, W is locally stronger and should be the one attacking. If both sides manage to connect safely, the result will likely be acceptable for B. If both sides get disconnected, the fight should favor W. In the actual game, B connected and then broke the W connection, which was bad for W.

I guess this is a long-winded way of suggesting you consider playing :w18: at F4 or :w20: at G4. Of course severe moves like these require reading, since B can push through and cut. But just consider -- the resulting fight may look scary to you, but it should be more frightening to your opponent.

To be honest i never considered those moves, maybe i'd try to be more aggressive when i am stronger.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next