All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigormotti's journey to SDK
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:33 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: rigormotti
Online playing schedule: Usually later at night, no set schedule for now
I'm rigormotti on KGS, which is the only server I play go on for the time being. I played go a LONG time ago (5 years or so) and decided to pick it up now because lack of a hobby. I remember fluctuating around 10-13k. I remember quite a bit about go, so I figured I should just dive in now. I have a weekly plan for now, which I could always tweak-

1. 5 L&D problems a day
2. At least 2 games a day
3. Master 1 joseki a week
4. Get all the tips I can!

I'll probably begin my training course a bit rusty (well I know I will actually).
I don't know if I will 100 percent be able to do all of this stuff. I'm quite busy balancing school, a social life, and getting in shape for track season but I'll certainly try to squeeze it in.

My goal is 9k by April, 8k by June, 7k by August, and 6k by the end of the year. I don't know if my goals are reasonable, but I certainly hope to try.

Post subject: Re: Rigormotti's journey to SDK
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 24
OGS: Saint Ravitt
Honestly, I don't think # 3 will be worth the effort put into it. At your level, its much more productive to try and get the most out of what you already know. Also, there's certainly something to be said about shooting from the hip. You know, whenever your opponent comes at you with something new, you just try stuff out. The process of learning what doesn't work first will greatly equip you when you're actually at a good place to really get into some joseki study.

Post subject: Re: Rigormotti's journey to SDK
Post #3 Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:06 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 14
KGS: 1.Dan
OGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: Celebrir
I agree with Joelnelsonb, that you shouldn't try to put that much effort into joseki. Instead try to master a shape (like crosscuts, small/large monkeyjumpy, keima/ogeima, ...) and its implications. With this learning joseki later will become much easier.