It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unmoving
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:56 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 44
Universal go server handle: Jhyn
After a year and a half of no progress (and probably regression), I returned home a month ago to my go book collection. As an experiment, I tried not to play a single game last month, only doing problems and reading books. I played my first game this afternoon and thought it was as good a time as any to try myself to this study journal idea.

My main goal here, to put it bluntly, is to get the opportunity to get games reviewed without spamming regularly the Game review board. Essentially, I plan to put here every game where I felt terrible while and after playing, which recently have been a good majority of them, after reviewing them myself. I am grateful for any comments on the games themselves and my review. I don't want to be a parasite of the community, however, and I commit myself to review at least another game on 19x19 for any review I receive here.

As a reference, I narrowly reached European 1 dan a year and a half ago. Since then I have been playing mostly live games in Chile without an official ranking. Today, My estimate is that I am around 2k KGS/OGS/IGS.

Last edited by Jhyn on Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Jhyn was liked by: Kirby

Post subject: Re: Unmoving
Post #2 Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:10 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Good plan, Jhyn.

We played a few times in the AYD. I think you have a lot of potential.

Good luck!

This post by Kirby was liked by: Jhyn

Post #3 Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:44 am 
Lives with ko

Thank you for the kind words. I have wanted to reply to your January 13th post in your own study journal but find difficult to express my thoughts clearly and English, and every post is rewritten a few times. Let me just say that in many ways I feel the exact opposite that you do: I find doing problems or studying rewarding like a day's work, but playing, especially online, often leaves me dissatisfied with myself. You could say I don't really like the feeling of not being in control of what's going on, losing heart after a mistake even when ahead, and ending up with the feeling of not really trying. If I have to put words of it, I don't want to overpower or to to dodge (like Takagawa's water), but to play a solid game without major weakness, in the style of "Stone Buddha" (or is it "stone wall" ?).

Anyway that's way too many words already and not enough work. This is my first game. I am White 2k? and playing against an anonymous 2k on OGS. Time limits are 30:00 + 5x0:30. I blundered the game away by move 230 but I did my large share of mistakes before that. Any comments welcome.

** Not reviewed yet **

Attachments:
Jhyn vs. Libuchs.sgf [4.24 KiB]
Downloaded 544 times

Post #4 Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 65
Universal go server handle: pluspy
I think the only way to learn to make less mistakes in the game and develop 'tenacity' is by actually playing regularly. I found that this is atleast true in my own experience. Tenacity, focus, mistake reduction. These things come chiefly from regularly playing serious games and making a continued effort. There is no magic pill that will make you focus the entire game and play less mistakes. Only way to get rid of it is to work actively at it just like with tsumego and reading :)

I commented your game a bit up to move 38 but I don't have time for more right now. I hope this helps.

Attachments:
Jhyn vs. Libuchs.sgf [5.75 KiB]
Downloaded 520 times

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:05 pm 
Lives with ko

I have not posted for five months in this thread (I played a lot more offline). And I didn't even thank you for your last comments, so I feel bit bad about asking for another one. No excuses, I guess.

This is a game I played for the group B of Chilean League. I put some comments about my own moves and questions inside. I would appreciate any input.