Post #21 Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:37 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 17
KGS: 6k
IGS: 9k
Universal go server handle: BlindGroup
dutchie wrote:
I just played and reviewed a game on OGS. I'd mostly only been using it for correspondence games before, but I had found that it was sometimes difficult to find a game on KGS or Tygem at my level, and it was pretty much instant there, so maybe I'll play more.

IGS is also a very good source of games at the DDK level.

Post subject: Re: dutchie's journal
Post #22 Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Here are some comments on your first game. I thought you played very well. I like that you had a clear plan from early on -- focusing on building territory on the top, bottom, and center -- and toward that end you identified strong moves in support of those goals. Here are a few things to think about in general:

1. You do a good job of identifying key moves for your goal, but you seem to make large gote moves without thinking first whether or not there are supporting (or important) sente moves that could be made first. (move 53 for example).

2. You need to be a bit more careful with your connections. At times, you are too focused on extending and not sufficiently focused on maintaining the connection. For both moves 15 and 33, you would have done better to make a smaller extension to avoid being cut.

3. I think you are at the point where you could think a bit about how to gain moves by harassing opponent's weak stones. Moves 47 and 55 are examples of when this could have been useful. They are also examples of sente moves you can make before making other moves.

4. This is a more challenging comment, but I think it might be good to put it on your horizon. In this game, you developed a single plan early on and you were able to execute it. That is a very important step. You should feel good about that! However, part of the reason you were able to execute it was that your opponent allowed you to do so. At some point in the next few rankings, your opponents are not going to be so cooperative. To counter this, you'll need to be more flexible in your strategic thinking. For example, you might build a moyo, knowing that it might get invaded, but with a contingency plan in mind for the invasion -- such using the invasion to build another moyo somewhere else or as I illustrated in my comments, use the invasion to invade the opponent's moyo. For example, players often think of the main goal of developing a moyo is to claim the territory inside. However, that's not always true. The better way to think of the value of a moyo is that it threatens to claim the territory inside. That threat will either yield an invasion or territory, but you want to build the moyo in such a way that you will benefit either way.

Attachments:
2017-04-05 Freud.sgf [7.75 KiB]
Downloaded 86 times

This post by BlindGroup was liked by: dutchie

Post #23 Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 1
KGS: dutchie
Tygem: dutchie
IGS: dutchie
OGS: dutchie
Thank you for the comments BG! Lots for me to think about there. I'll try to think about finding more sente moves in my next few games.

Quote:
the value of a moyo is that it threatens to claim the territory inside. That threat will either yield an invasion or territory, but you want to build the moyo in such a way that you will benefit either way.

I'd heard that sort of thing about moyos and their purpose before, but that's the most succinct way I've seen it expressed.

Post #24 Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1423
Was liked: 2324
A few comments. :)

Post #25 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:59 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 1
KGS: dutchie
Tygem: dutchie
IGS: dutchie
OGS: dutchie
Oops, again it's been a while and I've been too busy with PhD to play any games. I played again last night and just finished posting up a review, with help from a few comments from the #go IRC channel on Freenode. SDK by June may still be within my grasp, despite my inability to keep up with my target!

Attachments:
20170511-Xenonoxid.sgf [3.75 KiB]
Downloaded 38 times

Post #26 Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Nice game. You played well! Here are some thoughts.

General areas to focus going forward:
1. Try to think about whether stones are worth saving before you save them. I think you both should have sacrificed a few in this game.
2. I think you are missing opportunities to threaten opponent's groups by not recognizing when they are weak or where they can be cut.

Attachments:
2017-05-12 Dutchie OGS 17k.sgf [9.02 KiB]
Downloaded 22 times