It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - How Not To Fall Into a Trap?
Post #121 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 15
Was liked: 8
Universal go server handle: MysteryFTG
Knotwilg wrote:
Like you I (and many others) somehow find it less stressful to play a bot than a human. I think this shows we have a strong ego and we do "play the opponent" instead of "playing the board". Like I said, we can use this to our advantage, when aware of it..

This is exactly what I've been experiencing recently and trying to figure out a way to deal with it.
When I play vs. a bot I have exactly zero stress. I'm not nervous, I'm calm and I can focus 100% on the game. No problem.
When playing online vs. someone, I sometimes get crazy nervous to the point I can feel my heart beating and my hands getting cold. Focusing on my breathing and trying to relax, as I tense up a lot, helps, unless my opponent plays something unexpected or "dangerous". Then it gets tough staying somewhat calm. But in any case I'm severely distracted from the game.

I have to try playing someone in person, unfortunately there aren't really any go players around here.

Ian Butler wrote:
Just a month ago, I always played a bit nervously against him, afraid to lose.
I've gotten rid of that fear now, though, and play very relaxed.

What did you do to alleviate the nervousness? Or did it just happen automatically over time, the more games you played?

I'm trying to get used to it by playing at least one live 19x19 game per day, but it gets somewhat stressful...which doesn't sound right for a hobby.

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - How Not To Fall Into a Trap?
Post #122 Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 116
MysteryFTG wrote:
What did you do to alleviate the nervousness? Or did it just happen automatically over time, the more games you played?

I'm trying to get used to it by playing at least one live 19x19 game per day, but it gets somewhat stressful...which doesn't sound right for a hobby.

Well, there are a few reasons.
I needed a few mental "clicks". Things that you know with your head but not yet with your heart. Simple things like: it's okay to lose. It's about the beauty of the game. Just simple life lessons like that that need to settle in your heart and Go helps doing that :)

Another thing is simply improving and playing players of different strength. I take pride in making a stronger opponent work hard to beat me, an even game can still be nailbiting, and playing a weaker player is also helpful, you need to keep your focus and you can experiment a bit more.

But getting stronger (for me) actually gives me more and more confidence. Even if I lose against someone, I feel more confident in my game and I feel like: at least I know what I'm doing, sort of. I know why I lost.
Starting out it felt like being thrown in an ocean.
I have a raft now. The luxery yacht may or may not be coming, but at least I'm not drowning :lol:

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - What more do you want?
Post #123 Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:36 am 
Lives in gote

A (minor) new height as I've finally won 2 consecutive games as white against Igowin. I play Igowin (9x9 bot) occasionally to strengthen my close combat skills.
After those two games, I lost a few games, though, and now I'm back to taking black in an even match :scratch: :)

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - What more do you want?
Post #124 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:46 am 
Lives in gote

Taking advice of knotwilg, I'm looking to improve my game by playing people at 10 kyu or better. So my next few games are going to be tough!

And so I played my 2nd and 3rd game on KGS. Funnily enough, my 2nd game was against the same opponent as my first time! (reviewed Here!

I'll be reviewing the 3rd game in full and post it in the One Eyed Fool series. The 2nd game I'll post here.
I had quite a lead, but he made an invasion that shouldn't have worked. My big mistake? Creating weaknesses while defending. I should've just stayed strong.
Good lesson.

Invasion starts at 141 with a peep. :oops:

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - Study study study
Post #125 Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 am 
Lives in gote

The One-Eyed Fool Review Series
I've now played 10 games within just over 10 days. Time for the final verdict.

The 10 games
Game #1: W vs 13 kyu. Result: B+Resign
Game #2: B vs 11 kyu. Result: B+Resign
Game #3: W vs 15 kyu. Result: B+0.5
Game #4: B vs 13 kyu. Result: W+12.5
Game #5: W vs 17 kyu. Result: W+62.5
Game #6: W vs 15 kyu. Result: W+13.5
Game #7: B vs 14 kyu. Result: B+Resign
Game #8: W vs 15 kyu. Result: W+Resign
Game #9: B vs 10 kyu. Result: B+3.5
Game #10: B vs 7 kyu. Result: W+6.5

Short story of the game
Game #1: Black successfully cut me and killed off one of my groups. In an attempt to get the advantage back, I created another weak group. Aftar it was squashed, I resigned.
Game #2: My opening was good. White launched an attack on one of my groups and succeeded. However, his surrounding stones got surrounded themselves and white resigned.
Game #3: I managed to build a large moro with white and get ahead in territory. The game then became about the middle, and how many points there were left for black. During the assault on the middle, I forget what it's about and waste a few moves attacking a single stone. Half point difference.
Game #4: I manage to create two weak white groups. But I only succeed in harassing them slightly and letting them connect too easily. After that, white takes the win with superior territory. I did not use my strength effectively.
Game #5: I was ahead fairly soon and kept my lead. I used my influence well and never gave my opponent a way back in the game.
Game #6: I made a L&D mistake and one of my groups died. Attempting to comeback, I managed to resurrect my group and get points in the middle. Without resurrecting that group, the result might've been very close.
Game #7: I played much more aggressive than usual and I killed white's corner rather quickly, reducing it to an L-group. Afterwards I made some questionable moves, but I made them work for me and split white in three, killing off another one of his groups.
Game #8: After losing a sizable bunch of stones, I redirected my game towards the middle. In a surprising comeback, I took an obvious lead. Black made some mad attempts to destroy my territory from the inside, but I calmly resisted.
Game #9: We both play a decent game. Starting the endgame we both focus too much on the middle and not on the sides. In the end, I lose concentration and am unable to read a 5+ move sequence. I instead sacrafice 3 stones to avoid further conflict and the end result shows that those stones were rather decisive.
Game #10: A hard fought game where I got ahead by cutting off one of white's groups and swallowing it. With a painful blunder, I lost a large group myself and the game got even again. I lost on komi.

These were my STRENGTHS during the 10 games.
Resilience: I have developed a more stable emotional approach to Go. In tough situations, I always managed to pick myself up and sometimes even come back entirely from a "lost" position. Besides the first game, I never lost by resignation. More so, I was never slaughtered. Mostly the games were fairly even.
Determination: I used these 2 weeks off-work to study hard, play these games, review them. I feel I have improved a lot in a short time and it's mostly because I am highly motivated and self-disciplined.
Flexibility: Go is not about the stones. I have sacrificed groups/stones when it suited me. I didn't go into the middle game with a fixed mindset, but rather stayed flexible during the game, redirecting if necessary.
Courage: At least for me. By nature I am rather timid and have a wait-and-see attitude, I am more and more developing a fighting spirit on the Go board.
Focus: Even though I occasionally lost a game because my concentration failed me, I practically breathed Go for the past 2 weeks. I've spend +8 hours on Go almost every day. Some days I played for 3 hours straight, or studied for hours straight. My focus is there, and still improving.
An eye for shapes: I took some great shape points, which is always nice!

These were my WEAKNESSES during the 10 games.
Counting: It's really getting ridiculous how bad I estimate the score. Even when I would win with +20 points, I have no idea of it during the game. I have to learn how to estimate the score and the board position at least a little bit.
Slow Play: Probably the biggest DDK sin. There has been progress during those 10 games, though.
Bad Moves: Some moves I need to unlearn. Descent to the 1st line too early, pushing into my opponent. Peeping unnecessarily. Wasted moves, basically.
Time Management: When I get 40 minutes and I lose a group because of a reading mistake blunder, yet I still have 21 minutes at the end of the game, I screwed up, no excuse. Some mistakes were made when I even realized the mistake seconds after I clicked. Meaning I played too quickly.
Niceness: In some cases, I was too nice. If my opponent has a weak group and I don't, I need to go after it relentlessly. I let my opponent off the hook too easily sometimes.
Endgame: Questionable endgame moves, giving up sente easily, small gote points...

Practical Solutions
Counting: Train, improve, get experience.
Slow Play: Look at the whole board EVERY SINGLE move. Think before you play.
Bad Moves: They're bound to happen again, just like the slow moves. But they can decrease by also thinking even more.
Time Management: I have two ideas, maybe they'll work, maybe they won't. But I can try. 1) When I know what to play, count to five slowly and then check if I still want to play it. 2) During my opponent's time, look at the whole board. During my time, look locally.
Niceness: Don't be too nice in a game. :clap: :lol:
Endgame: Study, practice.

Things to remember
- Surround first, then play at the vital point.
- Attack your opponent if he's weak.
- Solid first, thin later.
- Always assume your opponent will react. Don't play a move because it'll work only if your opponent doesn't react. (no thank-you moves)
- Always look at the whole board.
- Always remember what the game is about.
- Get a lot better.

That is my final analysis of this 10 game series. I've had fun playing and reviewing these games. Obviously I'll continue to play and review my games, probably not move-by-move every time, though. I feel I have improved even during these 10 games. And there is much more that'll sink in later.
I want to thank everyone again that helped me point out plays during these games.

Now What?
Now we try to get even stronger. Even though my holiday is almost over, I have the summer vacation to look forward to (one of the perks of being a teacher!), where I'll be able to focus on my Go heavily for 6 weeks! And between now and then, I hope to keep up my studies, albeit less intensely because of work.

This is what I have planned for the next few weeks:

Play Games - Review
Obviously keep doing this. Both live and on the internet.

Tsumego
Yes, I have to. I'll be finishing GGPB 2 for the 2nd time and then revisit it again, before going over GGPB 3 next.
I'll also go through the Level Up series, from number 5 to 10, to hammer down the fundamentals.

Endgame
To get better at endgame, I'll use the book 'The Endgame' from the Elementary Series, as well as Chapter Six of 'Basic Techniques of Go' by Haruyama 9-dan.

Other Books to Study
Re-read Lessons in Fundamentals
Re-read Opening Theory Made Easy
Re-read Attack & Defense
Read Basic Techniques of Go
Selectively read Kato's Attack and Kill
Slowly go through Davies' Life and Death

Non-Progress Go*
Read A Journey in Search of the Origins of Go.
Replay (quickly) Pro-games.
Re-watch Hikaru No Go :mrgreen:
Remember the wise words of someone here on the forum: "Don't even think about ranking unless you're playing at least a year". Remember the true goal to Go: learning about the game, learning about yourself, learning about life. Improving yourself.

This also means I won't put unnecessary pressure on myself. I'll improve on my own tempo as long as I stay motivated. I have to go with that flow and see where I end up and how fast. Never let ranking get to you. That's just like never letting material things start to own you. Don't put value on illusions, like money, fast cars and those other traditional examples. Ranking is just like that. Social status. Illusions.
Play Go for the right reasons.

* Things I like that are Go-related, but aren't very effective for improving (quickly)

Let's get to work!

This post by Ian Butler was liked by 2 people: dfan, Knotwilg

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - Analysis in Depth!
Post #126 Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:25 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
And so it turns out that this ardent student of the game and I live at walking distance of each other ...

Still, I can shout out loud that this is by far the best study journal I have seen and it also seems to have been associated to real progress.

Congratulations!

From the games I saw, I would say your greatest strength throughout has been your sense for direction of play. When you're not being caught up in meaningless local play and think of playing elsewhere, you invariably take the best point available. And so your biggest weakness is playing where the opponent has played his last move, often taking an adjacent point (contact play).

See you around, no doubt.

Post #127 Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:25 am 
Lives in gote

Thanks for the kind words, knotwilg!
The geographical coincidence is rather striking, indeed :)

I'm happy to hear your general thought on my biggest strength. It's something I've already worked hard on. Which means I should now work equally hard at my weaknesses in order to make them my strengths, too.
My L&D, group safety is already getting slightly better, so there's definitely room for improvement.

The Level Up Series was a bull's eye purchase. It's exactly what I need. I can easily do a 45-minute session with it and the repetition (albeit a bit boring) really works. You get exercise after exercise on the same technique and after a while you really start seeing it very easily.
It's still another thing to see it in actual play, but seeing the vital point instantly can't hurt. This is good training of the fundamentals, so I'm very happy with these books. I'll be working hard at them!
The only "downside" is that the answer book (downloadable PDF) does not come with any additional diagrams or explaining. Now this is no problem, but as I will encounter more difficult Tesuji, I'll no doubt have some questions at one point. I guess I'll have to turn to Lifein19x19 then ;)

So taking a minor "break" from playing to focus more on studying now. Especially online games. I like to variate my Go learning and I've spend 2 weeks heavily playing/reviewing. So now I take a small step back from playing (still trying to play at least 4-5 games a week, though!) and get in those books a bit more.

Also the fact that I have to be 100% back at my job on Monday, so my study time will decrease drastically. These 2 weeks I've been spending about 6 hours a day on Go, I reckon. Coming back to my job, It'll simmer down to 2-3 hours a day. My focus will also be lower because I get home from work rather tired. But still, Spring is in the air and I'll try hard to keep my mind sharp for my Go training.

The stronger I get, the more beautiful this game becomes.

Post #128 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:44 am 
Lives in gote

Two days in a row I've played a terrible game now.
I think I'm overreaching and playing opponents who are just superior to me in every way. This is not really helping my development, I think. That or I'm just in a very bad losing streak. I'm really getting pounded out there atm :(

Post #129 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:18 am 
Lives in gote

Well, I played a 12 kyu player on KGS just now and I won (even though I was certain I was behind in the endgame, my counting was off by at least 20 points, so still work needed there!).

But I'm not enjoying my go playing (online) at the moment, so I'm gonna take a little break from (online) playing.
For next week, I'm just gonna stick to studying (+tsumego...), reviewing my last 3 games and playing in real life. (though that'll probably limit me to 3 games max that week)

I think it's a confidence thing. These last few games made me lose my confidence, even the one I just won. I think a little distance will benefit me greater than keep playing now. I don't think it can hurt to play less for a week or 2 and focus on studying instead. I'll have to be careful not to make the break too long, though, because I'll start being permanently "afraid" or "low-confident" to play (online).

Go is much like the weather. Sometimes it's beautiful and lifts you up. But then suddenly it gets cloudy real soon and starts pouring. Ups and downs, ups and downs... :study: :-? :cool:

Post #130 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A few top of the head comments:

:b21: Premature. Better after Black extends on the top side. The iron pillar, R-10, combines attack and defense. Look for dual purpose moves.

:b25: Block at R-10. The wall has limited potential because of the White K-16 stone.

:b29: Keep experimenting. :) But be aware that sacrificing this stone weakens your corner.

:b39: The slide, P-02, combines attack and defense. It protects the Black corner while undercutting the White group. The ensuing fight will probably strengthen the Black group on the bottom left, and may make use of Black center facing wall.

:w40: Not good.

:b45: Good shape.

:w46: Bad shape.

:b47: Huh?????

:w48: Good play locally. White says thank you.

:b57: Small. Time to deliver the coup de grace against the White group in the bottom right. Black is strong all around. Even if White lives, Black should win easily.

:b63: Even ignoring the attack on the bottom side, this is small.

:b91: Kind of an attack. But you want to drive White towards our wall, not away from it.

:b99: Q-06, preventing the atari, is better.

Black 103: P-02 is better.

Black 107: If you start with P-02 you won't have to make this play.

Main focus: Waiting for the attack against the White stones in the bottom right. Which could have started right away, BTW.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #131 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:55 am 
Lives in gote

Thank you, Bill :)

I played a 7 kyu and a 4 kyu today (both free games and rather blitz-y). Both times I was slaughtered, obviously. I reviewed the 7 kyu game with my opponent and it was interesting. My 4 kyu game was not reviewed and I'll post it here. I felt I was doing okay, but that's probably just an illusion :)
Big L&D "mistake" cost me a group and I resigned there, the game was over.

Anyway, my 2 weeks of vacation are as good as over. I think I improved quite a bit during these 2 weeks of Go. The last few days were a bit harder, though, and put me back on the ground firmely. I'm not yet a SDK and I think it might take a little more time before I can compete with SDK players evenly. The progress is going more slowly now. I think that's only natural, that the better you become, the slower you progress. It's easy to gain a lot of strength in the beginning with just a few basic concepts.

Anyway, the best way for me to continue is to keep studying, keep playing at least a few times a week, and not put any particular expectations on my game. I'm already doing much better than I hoped for 3 months ago, so there's no need for any pressure. Remember to enjoy the game and not only play opponents that are out of my reach.
We'll see if I can eye the SDK mark by the time Summer comes around!

Post #132 Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Today was the first time that I played 3 simultaneous games. One opponent was a beginner, the other around 19 kyu, the other a few stones weaker than myself.
Board sizes all 13x13 and I was white in all three (I requested this).

I played some decent games but really screwed up on one of the boards where I got behind quite a bit and started making sabaki in all the wrong places. Obviously I had to resign that game and started a new (which I won after resignation after cutting off a large part of his group successfully)

A few observations:

- Simultaneous games are hard. I had played 2 before, but never 3. Also the fact that you have to practically blitz it, is tough.
- I have some real problems with 13x13. My direction of play (usually one of my strengths on 19x19) is rubbish on the 13 board and I got behind a few times in the opening.
- My reading ability is getting faster.
- My concentration allows me to play 3 simultaneous games and keep track of all of them rather well. (not as well as playing a single game, though, of course)

Extra exercise was counting. I counted each game a few times during play and tried to guess how much the final difference would be. I was off by 5 points once, off by 10 another and quite on the mark in another, so mixed results but the exercise is the most important thing!

Level Up!
I've already finished Level Up 6 and did the 3 tests at the end of the book, scoring 20/20 on all three.
I just finished Level Up 7 and I'll do the tests tomorrow.

Great series for drilling. Only downside is lack of explanations in the answer diagrams. So far I understand everything but when I get to new things, I hope I'll pick it up from the information given. (I guess Sensei Library is always there for extra information - as are you!)

Leela & Igowin
Played one handicap game (10 stones) against Leela today and I won big for once. It was a good game.
I've also been playing Igowin at least a few sessions a week (always 5-10 games) and I'm slowly getting better at 9x9. Today I managed to beat him down again so I am white, and for the first time I've kept white for a few games in a row now.
Only downside to Igowin is no komi, so I'm "learning" 9x9 wrong.
Still, I only use it to get my fighting and reading up a bit.

So things have definitely quieted down a bit with work being very busy again, but I'm still trying to get my exercise as much as possible and stay active.

Post subject: Re: The Story of a Loser - Simultaneous Games!
Post #133 Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Small update on how I'm doing on this:

Quote:
These were my WEAKNESSES during the 10 games.
Counting: It's really getting ridiculous how bad I estimate the score. Even when I would win with +20 points, I have no idea of it during the game. I have to learn how to estimate the score and the board position at least a little bit.
Slow Play: Probably the biggest DDK sin. There has been progress during those 10 games, though.
Bad Moves: Some moves I need to unlearn. Descent to the 1st line too early, pushing into my opponent. Peeping unnecessarily. Wasted moves, basically.
Time Management: When I get 40 minutes and I lose a group because of a reading mistake blunder, yet I still have 21 minutes at the end of the game, I screwed up, no excuse. Some mistakes were made when I even realized the mistake seconds after I clicked. Meaning I played too quickly.
Niceness: In some cases, I was too nice. If my opponent has a weak group and I don't, I need to go after it relentlessly. I let my opponent off the hook too easily sometimes.
Endgame: Questionable endgame moves, giving up sente easily, small gote points...

Things to remember
- Surround first, then play at the vital point.
- Attack your opponent if he's weak.
- Solid first, thin later.
- Always assume your opponent will react. Don't play a move because it'll work only if your opponent doesn't react. (no thank-you moves)
- Always look at the whole board.
- Always remember what the game is about.
- Get a lot better.

Let's break it down.

Quote:

I am practicing this (13x13) and I'm getting a bit better. Next step is doing it on a 19x19 board.

Quote:

I've managed to unlearn some bad habits. I don't (regularly) do the three examples anymore, so that's good.

Quote:

Better. Though online I still tend to play too quickly. In real life, I use my time to read out properly, though.

Quote:

Unfortunately I'm still too nice sometimes. When my opponent has the beginnings of a moyo, I push from the outside and help him develop that moyo. Too scared to jump in, probably.

Quote:

Eye for sente moves and big moves, so it's getting better.

This post by Ian Butler was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #134 Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 am 
Lives in gote

Just played a game right now.

My idea was to play a game and be really aggressive. Work on my weakness by attacking and playing quite pro-active. Destroy instead of build myself.
Problem is I once again deteriorated to blitz-play. Using only 5 seconds or so per move. Real bad habit and only happens online.

In the end, I won the game, even though I felt I was way behind. Basically I won because of a blindness of my opponent.
So not a game I'm happy with, because I set out to play aggressively but I ended up not playing Go. (In my dictionary, Go is a thinking game)

So conclusion: STOP PLAYING BLITZ!
Easier said than done :sad:

Post #135 Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Indeed. Such blitz games harnass bad habits and there are a few

- peeping from the inside
- taking 1 point sente moves in the middle game (aka removing ko threats)
- walking along a mutual border of something clearly bigger on the other side

Measures:

"Next game, after every move I will ...
- sit on my hands
- sing a song
- count top 20
- look at 3 moves, even if I know exactly what to do
- ..."

Post #136 Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:23 am 
Lives in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
Indeed. Such blitz games harnass bad habits and there are a few

- peeping from the inside
- taking 1 point sente moves in the middle game (aka removing ko threats)
- walking along a mutual border of something clearly bigger on the other side

Measures:

"Next game, after every move I will ...
- sit on my hands
- sing a song
- count top 20
- look at 3 moves, even if I know exactly what to do
- ..."

Yeah.
No matter how hard I try to not play blitz on the internet, I fall into the trap rather quickly.

Honestly, I'd stop playing go online in a heartbeat, if there were more people in Belgium playing Go.
Actually maybe even then stop playing the internet is an option... For me it just doesn't feel like Go. You miss the face-to-face interaction, I lack the deep patience I have in a real game, you sit in front of your computer more than you want... Something to definitely think about, because these games right now, I don't know if they're helping me improve my Go.

I think the big difference with my 10 game review series was that I was on vacation. Now I come home from work and if I play a go game online, I just can't get into it like I did in my vacation. So rather than improving, I get frustrated quickly because - let's face it - I play rubbish.

Anyway, I need to find a good solution for the problem.
- Not playing online seems hard. I don't think my go would improve as much because of the limited amount of matches I'll end up playing. So I'll need to find a solution where I play online.

Maybe playing after coming home from work is just not the optimal way for me to play Go. That'd mean I'd have to limit my game playing to like 2-3 games a week, which isn't that much. On the other hand, playing without thinking/reading is probably even worse.

Or try any of the hints you gave.

Post subject:
Post #137 Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:46 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Ian,

When you play online at home, do you use only a computer ?
( That is, no real Go equipment involved. )

Post subject: Re:
Post #138 Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:06 pm 
Lives in gote

EdLee wrote:
Hi Ian,

When you play online at home, do you use only a computer ?
( That is, no real Go equipment involved. )

Interesting...
Yes, so far I've only used a computer when playing online.
Back when I started, I wanted to play online and also use a real board to play, but (ironically) I thought I'd lose too much time that way.

Post subject:
Post #139 Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:44 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Quote:
also use a real board to play, but (ironically) I thought I'd lose too much time that way.
Set up the time control such that it compensates for the extra time needed to relay all the moves on the real board. 3-sec, 5-sec, or even 10-sec blitz should be out of the question immediately.

Perhaps having to physically pick up the stones and place them on the real board helps us to be more mindful of each move than just mouse clicks or finger taps.

Post subject: Re:
Post #140 Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:53 am 
Lives in gote

EdLee wrote:
Quote:
also use a real board to play, but (ironically) I thought I'd lose too much time that way.
Set up the time control such that it compensates for the extra time needed to relay all the moves on the real board. 3-sec, 5-sec, or even 10-sec blitz should be out of the question immediately.

Perhaps having to physically pick up the stones and place them on the real board helps us to be more mindful of each move than just mouse clicks or finger taps.

I did just this and it helped a lot. Thanks for the suggestion, this might help me a lot on the long term and might get me to enjoy Online Go again!
Plus I get to use my awesome Floor Table to play games more :)

Only downside (Hikaru can relate) is that I have to place stones for both players :sad: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next