It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Struttnoddy reviews
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 9
KGS: struttnoddy
I want to start actually recording and properly reviewing my games, and maybe a few pro games as well. Obviously not (yet!) a dan player so I expect to make a lot of bad comments or thoughts on my reviews and I do tend to ramble on a bit sometimes but that's how I hope to get better!

Here's one I played just today on KGS, won by ~30 points but after reviewing it's clear I made some pretty big mistakes. might try and go over a pro game later as well.

Attachments:
2k_3k182024.sgf [16.49 KiB]
Downloaded 922 times

Post subject: Re: Struttnoddy reviews
Post #2 Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:35 am 
Dies in gote

Had a look over a pro game as I said, some interesting stuff in this one including a very large ko. Take aways include connecting your groups and being willing to let your opponent take moyos/territory as long as you get something in return.

Attachments:
koyu1p_Yoshiki2p_74thHoninbo.sgf [4.29 KiB]
Downloaded 884 times

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 am 
Dies in gote

The first 12 problems of Cho Chikun's Encyclopedia of Life and Death - part 3.

I've done the first 50 of these once through already but thought I'd go through them again and make a note of my responses. Going through them on a board I realised a few I initially thought I had solved were actually wrong! I think I've actually got the right responses for all of these now though.

I'm going to try and work through this whole series though I doubt I'll post all of them here, just ones I like/can't do or occasionally groups of them like this.

I should say as well that these problems can be found here https://tsumego.tasuki.org/ along with others

Attachments:
chochikun_vol3_9-12.sgf [784 Bytes]
Downloaded 875 times
chochikun_vol3_5-8.sgf [1.64 KiB]
Downloaded 867 times
chochikun_vol3_1-4.sgf [1.86 KiB]
Downloaded 865 times

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:37 am 
Dies in gote

second KGS game this weekend, I'll probably upload at weekends and not much during the week due to having to earn money to live (in order to play go :P)...

Overall very happy with the way I played here but I lost it all with some silly errors right at the end, need to stop playing so quickly online!

Attachments:
2k_3k180225.sgf [8.69 KiB]
Downloaded 869 times

Post #5 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:40 am 
Dies in gote

Have a day off today so managed to get a game/review in on KGS. A fairly short one which I won by resignation after a big fight, I'm still playing far too quickly online, a habit I've picked up by playing (and mostly losing) a lot of blitz games... This is probably why I'm still only a 2 kyu online but pushing 1dan on a real board!

I'll be playing the Cambridge Trigantius tournament in a week and a bit and this is probably a good moment to set a couple of goals:

1 - try and use up all my time in every game (presuming it goes to the end!) and spend a lot more thinking about late opening/early middle game

2 - try and win all my games, something I've never achieved in any tournament I've played in... There's only three rounds so it shouldn't be too impossible. At the very least I'd like to win every game against people ranked as 1 dan or lower.

I'll try and record/remember every game as best I can so I can post them here and review properly afterwards. I already feel more confident in game after these few posts and reviews, even if I haven't actually got any better!

Attachments:
2k_3k180301.sgf [6.83 KiB]
Downloaded 859 times

Last edited by Struttnoddy on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:48 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Struttnoddy wrote:
I'll be playing the Cambridge Trigantius tournament in a week

Me too, see you there!

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Struttnoddy

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 am 
Dies in gote

Another pro game, this time a golden oldy, perhaps a bit outdated but for someone at my level this is so far beyond how I could hope to be playing that it doesn't really matter!

I really enjoyed this game because there was so much going on, I think the main points to take away from here are thinking about direction of play and being willing to make large scale trades - as long as my counting is good enough! In addition I learned some more generic corner sequences that I haven't seen/haven't studied before.

Attachments:
Hosei9p_Seigan9p_19th Oza.sgf [6.79 KiB]
Downloaded 792 times

Post #8 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am 
Dies in gote

My three games from Trigantius last weekend, unfortunately I only won 2/3, but I played poorly in the first one. I did manage to use my time more effectively than I usually do though so I achieved at least one of the aims I set myself!

Generally I was happy with my play in the last two, particularly my reading ability, something I've definitely got better at recently. However, I struggle a lot with evaluating the relative strengths/weaknesses of both mine and by opponent's groups. This leads me to tenuki when I shouldn't or invade/cut when I'm not strong enough.

I think my aim going forward from this is to try and play much more solidly, perhaps even slowly (which might lead me to lose a bit but that's ok) to try and better understand how groups are strong or weak.

Attachments:
2018 game 3.sgf [5.07 KiB]
Downloaded 844 times
2018 game 2.sgf [3.24 KiB]
Downloaded 834 times
2018 game 1.sgf [4.41 KiB]
Downloaded 785 times

Post #9 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:19 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
A couple comments on the beginning of the first game from someone who is weaker than you:

There's no way that move 15 is "the game-losing mistake".

Move 31 feels like very weird shape. If it is really the best move then I feel that things have definitely gone wrong by now.

I was very surprised that the R9 stone just hung out there so long. R11 feels like a really great multipurpose move for you (say on move 9 or 15).

Post #10 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:22 pm 
Dies in gote

dfan wrote:
There's no way that move 15 is "the game-losing mistake".

Move 31 feels like very weird shape. If it is really the best move then I feel that things have definitely gone wrong by now.

I was very surprised that the R9 stone just hung out there so long. R11 feels like a really great multipurpose move for you (say on move 9 or 15).

Thanks for the comments! I agree move 15 in itself isn't game losing. I mean that I handled the following fight badly and traced it back to that move. It's probably not terrible by itself though as you say

I agree move 31 feels weird, like I'm trying to salvage something that's already gone wrong

I think R11 was always in my sights, unfortunately the fight ran away with me and I never got time for it. I think I should play it at move 9 then approach the corner given it's probably sente for me

Post #11 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Tsumego question.

How does Black continue?

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject:
Post #12 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312

Post #13 Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:12 am 
Dies in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Tsumego question.

How does Black continue?

Yeah it's tricky, I wasn't sure I had the right answer on that one! Here are some of my musings on it, best answer I can find is seki but I'm still not at all convinced as black ends up with serious problems on the outside. Anyone have any better ideas?

Attachments:
difficult.sgf [922 Bytes]
Downloaded 839 times

Post #14 Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 am 
Dies in gote

A no komi game against a 2 dan at the go club in Milton Keynes. Generally happy but my endgame continues to be pretty atrocious (especially in the early endgame) and I made a couple of simple joseki mistakes (but I learnt something new so that's good!).

The end result was black by 15 or 20 ish without komi, although this is just a casual game in a pub so I think calling myself 2dan just yet would be a little premature ;-)

*At the end I say I should think more about the "early middle game" this is probably true but I really meant the early ENDgame!*

Attachments:
T Hunt no komi.sgf [6.43 KiB]
Downloaded 794 times

Post #15 Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:15 pm 
Dies in gote

A recent game between Lee Sedol and Mi Yuting in round 1 of the 20th Chinese League A

I wanted to really focus on the opening and early middle game with this one, trying to guess the next move and understand when I'm wrong. Several of the moves I found quite difficult to understand (see the diagram below) but I felt like I could follow most things.

This is a really interesting game and I'm definitely going to come back to the second half to look more closely at the fighting and try to read out some of the more complicated variations myself.

Attachments:
Lee-Sedol9p_Mi-Yuting9p20thChineseLeagueA.sgf [9.22 KiB]
Downloaded 806 times

Last edited by Struttnoddy on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #16 Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:25 pm 
Dies in gote

Upon further research :b1: appears to be a joseki! learnt something new today! :D

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$B Actually a joseki!
$$ | . . . , . . . . . ,
$$ | . . O . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . 9 7 . . . . . .
$$ | . . X 6 . . . . . .
$$ | . 5 4 1 8 . . . . .
$$ | . X 2 O . . . . . ,
$$ | . 3 O . . O . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . . . . . . .
$$ +--------------------[/go]

Post #17 Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 am 
Dies in gote

An online game from today, overall happy with my play although I need to improve my reading still (duh I'm only 1/2 kyu :razz: )

No catastrophic mistakes and I felt confident in my ability throughout, still a long way to go though!

Attachments:
2k_2k180330.sgf [10.55 KiB]
Downloaded 825 times

Post #18 Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:45 am 
Dies in gote

Unfortunately I've had very little time to play go lately, what with work, studying part-time and various other bits and bobs.

However I'm playing in the Candidates tournament this coming weekend and have most evenings this week free. Given that, I'm going to try and review one pro-game per night in the blind hope I might learn something and manage to win a game or two ;-)

Here's a game between an American pro - Andy Liu - and Lee Seedol. Early on in the game Andy has the upper hand but a few slightly odd moves and one weak group later he lose the lead and eventually resigns. Leela had some interesting disagreements with the game moves and on several occasions shows my own instincts to be outright wrong :razz:

Attachments:
Andy-Liu1p_Lee-Sedol9p8thIngCupRound1.sgf [4.7 KiB]
Downloaded 729 times

Post #19 Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:10 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I vaguely remember reading a review or at least brief comments on this game, but can't seem to find it now poking around usgo.org or their eJournal. Anyone else remember it? Also do you mean Leela Zero or classic?

Post #20 Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:35 pm 
Dies in gote

I found a couple of sentences on usgo.org but not much more unfortunately, it's a shame cause I thought it was a good game and would have been interested in higher level commentary.

It's just ya bog standard Leela, I'm not sure how much more I'd get out of Zero at my level? Can't hurt to have a look I guess!