All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Think and Grow Strong
Post #21 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 196
Was liked: 342
IGS: Reisei 1d
Online playing schedule: When I can
I've been having a lot of fun strolling around the "Zone Press Park". My IGS rank has risen to from a starting point of 2k to 1d and I seem to be holding my own quite well. It seems that the books that I read earlier in the Summer (Life and Death, Attack and Defence, Fundamental Principles of Go, and Get Strong at Joseki) gave me a good foundation, while Zone Press Park has given me a totally different perspective - an alternative, whole-board oriented way of seeing.

The most difficult thing is trying to apply a large-scale style when playing with the White stones. After a couple of unfortunate episodes, I decided to investigate how O and Takemiya play with White. If I can come up with general conclusions from this exercise, I would say that

1) They make use of an early tenuki to catch up in pace of development (so, White might approach a corner and then play away)

2) They use sabaki technique to establish a base for playing on a larger scale later

So, in a nutshell, one's first priority with White is to perform a kind of neutralisation exercise. You have to take the sting out of Black's development before you can start thinking in terms of getting a big area for yourself. This is just my subjective view, though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I bought the O Meien yose book the other day, although I haven't been able to spend much time with it so far.

I have been coming up with my own practical theory of endgame, by the way, but I feel too embarrassed about my lowly level to go into details about it. It's just that, ultimately, you actually have to come up with your own style and your own way of thinking, because outside of the concrete (i.e., the L-group is dead), there is so much that depends on how you interpret what you read and what you see. However, at least I know that I am a dan player now. And I'm starting to find a feeling of identity as a go player: "these are my colours, and I'm nailing them to the mast". It might not be the very good go, but it is my own go.

To whit:

* I play for scale. If you outscale me, then it means that I don't believe you!

* My stones are a team. But the death penalty is in effect for those who can no longer function effectively in the team!

* I don't believe in sente. I play where I want to, so long as the costs are acceptable.

Post subject: Re: Think and Grow Strong
Post #22 Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:19 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Tami wrote:
My IGS rank has risen to from a starting point of 2k to 1d and I seem to be holding my own quite well.

めでたい、めでたい!:)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.