It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aiming at Shodan by 2011
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:34 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Hey all,

This is one of my first posts to this site - and I figured that I would share my current ambitions for improvement with you all. I have known how to play go for a few years, but I have focused my efforts so sporadically (taken long breaks without ever playing or thinking about go, etc.) that I would estimate I have only actually seriously studied go for 7 months total - and in that time have managed to reach KGS 3k. My goal now is to, by new years 2011, reach 1D KGS. Sounds a bit far-fetched, but here's how I plan to implement it.

As far as my "set in stone" mandatory requirements, they are a bit diminutive. I absolutely, without any question, play 1 game a day on KGS. Two times a week, I have an hour long lesson with an AGA 5 dan via KGS - where we review games that I have played or play teaching games. My other daily task, odd as it seems, is to do a session of brain training at Lumosity.com - a collection of exercises designed to enhance your cognitive performance (it seems to vaguely apply to my current pursuit, and its fun.)

I only made a few absolute unbreakable requirements just to make sure that there is no doubt that I will perform them without question. I have optional daily endeavors which I almost always do, as well. I have a daily commute by bus that allows me to do tsumego on my iPod touch with an app that I purchased called "igowin Life", a collection of around 2,000 problems. I have access to some book collections, and for now I am working through 2 sections a day of "38 basic joseki". Sounds remedial for a 3 kyu - but I have never studied joseki before and it seems to be useful. I have a large collection of old shygost lectures that were recorded and put up as a torrent download, and I usually watch at least a half-hour of that a day and its definitely helpful. I am abroad currently, but will be returning home in 3 weeks, at which point I will have access to a large collection of books - including graded go problems for beginners, books on tesuji, L&D, etc.

Incidentally, one of the biggest issues that I have in playing go has nothing to do with the game itself. The hardest aspects I find, as one who definitely has some form of adult ADD, are just to be patient and thoughtful when playing moves instead of just plopping down stones impulsively. Taking my time to analyze the position as a whole or read out variations instead of playing the intuitive move that occurs to me at first. There are definitely times when I do sit there and think about what's going on, but I have noticed myself erring carelessly when I have a won game (the hardest game to win is a won game); things of that nature. I tell myself "How can you master the flow of your stones, unless you can master yourself?" - so I am also trying to work on that. Things like not getting flustered when I make a bad move, not letting it cloud my judgement any further and exacerbate the position more, blah blah blah.

I don't seem to have any really terrible ingrained habits that will foreseeably impede my progress, I have tried to learn the game from a balanced perspective and place emphasis on the fundamentals. I hope everything works out, I'll try and update this if I'm successful by any means.

If anybody has any feedback or advice, please feel free to share :)

Post subject: Re: Aiming at Shodan by 2011
Post #2 Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
3 ranks in 2.5 months? That is a tad ambitious. But I admire optimism, so I'm cheering for you.

The plan sounds good. The only improvement that I can suggest is to get multiple reviews. That 5D still could have some blind spots. Post some of your games in the 'game analysis' forum here.

And welcome to L19.