It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

what helped you improve your game the most?
go problems 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
game reviews 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
teaching games 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
books 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
just playing more go 28%  28%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 68
 Post subject: The hyperbolic time chamber
Post #1 Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 50
Was liked: 12
KGS: go1986
I'm going into the hyperbolic time chamber I'm training like vegeta off dragon ball z I'm not coming out until I reached my goal. in kages book on fundamentals he says the differences between pros and rookies is the fundamentals so I'm going with a straight fundamental study approach no specifics just theory and fundamentals until I'm a solid sdk 5 or better

I wont leave my study plan or play on Wbaduk until I can beat many faces of go A.I. 2 Kyu in a ten game match no handicap or undo not even miss clicks

The Hyperbolic Time Chamber
Tools:

1.) graded go problems for beginners

2.) get strong go problems

3.) study the go world archive 1- 108 review and review

4.) Bruce Wilcox go dojo review and review

5.) play Many Faces of Go 12 all the time

currently I'm 13 kyu on many faces of go
I will leave the hyperbolic time chamber when I can beat
the 2 kyu A.I. on many faces of go in a ten game match

after I become a sdk I will change my studies to more advance areas of the game

any tips or comments I'm all ears

Currently I’m 14 kyu KGS (Diamonds) and 25 kyu Wbaduk (1986)
I’m taking a break from the internet while I train ill be posting my games in the review section to get input and advice during my training.
:salute:

Post subject: Re: The hyperbolic time chamber
Post #2 Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 70
Was liked: 8
KGS: Sujisan 12 kyu
OGS: Sujisan 13 kyu
You'll get better if you play humans. Play on KGS or wbaduk more than you play the computer. You'll develop some bad habits playing the computer if you're not careful. Also, do tsumego.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 pm 
Lives in gote

wow 50 go problems a day i like that idea i got the go grinder app on the iphone i will just do go problems everytime i have some downtime thanks for the idea and the tip

Post #4 Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:48 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I second Suji's suggestion to not play computers when you are SDK. They teach you bad habits.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Yeah, don't play computers. Humans play a lot crazier and in the end you have to cope with that. It might happening, that you can beat the 2-kyu engine in MFoG but you will lose against humans, who are several ranks weaker.
For instance I'm able to beat GnuGo on three stones and it should be around 6-kyu. But on KGS I'm solid 4k.
On KGS there are a few Dan-players, who give the Dan-MFoG-bot six stones while being only four stones stronger than the program and they beat it.

What I found most useful during my studies is doing a fair amount of Tsumegos (~20 a day, which you can solve within one minute average) and also a fair amount (little more than Tsumegos) of Tesuji-Problems. The more you progress in Go, the more it comes down to spotting and using Tesujis.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:58 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
Playing humans is more fun, more unpredictable, more challenging.

Unlike others, I can't say if it makes you stronger, since I'm weak myself. :mrgreen:

Post #7 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:07 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 103
Was liked: 39
Don't look down on "easy" problems, they'll really help. Also, don't even play many faces. Play people! It sounds like you are attaching some special significance to playing people and winning, but that attitude will only hurt you in the long run.

Be happy to lose (well, almost :D ), it's usually more obvious where you made your mistakes. So that's the second piece of advice - review your games. If you've got a stronger player handy, that's cool, but just going through them yourself and thinking about what could have been played differently will help too.

This post by Stable was liked by 2 people: Koroviev, 1986

Post #8 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
^I am a big fan of losing.

This post by Koroviev was liked by: joby

Post #9 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
Don't overdo it and don't burn out.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Here are my opinions on the matter:

1) Theory is useless without experience

Knowing fundamental theories is great. Understanding them is even better. The best, though, is when you can make the connection between the games you play and the fundamentals that you know in theory. Each game you play gives you new situations to examine and break apart. A single game played against any player provides you with a good number of ways to study the fundamentals and how they apply in certain situations. The more games you play, the more situations you have for study material.

2) Playing games against as many different opponents of all strengths is the foundation for a good study plan

I don't think playing against a computer opponent is a bad thing, taken in moderation. However, the computer is just one opponent. There are so many different styles of play out there. The computer opponent, while sometimes fairly versatile, tends towards a certain way of playing. Learning to beat a computer opponent only gives you a set of skills against a certain way of playing. If you're looking to be a well rounded player, you need to gain experience against all sorts of opponents, and of all ranks. This is, again, to give you more material to study.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find the journey fun and fulfilling!

Post #11 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 pm 
Lives in gote

playing people is more exciting i think i will only play MFOG when i warm up, so far i have just been playing on Wbaduk and solving Tsumego on my go grinder app any down time i get during the day. i have also been reading the go world I'm on issue 1 the commentary is kinda advanced but i think it helps me to see why each move is made and how players have a plan during the game also i like the ladder reading exercises too. i found someone on Wbaduk to play teaching games with too so im having fun!
i still get smashed all the time but i use the pain of loss to motivate me to to get strong :study:

Post #12 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
1986 wrote:
i still get smashed all the time but i use the pain of loss to motivate me to to get strong :study:

So what will happen once you stop improving and reliably lose 50% of your games? Let's say you're 5d by then. Will you quit go?

Post #13 Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:53 pm 
Lives in gote

no i probably will just dance around my house butt naked from the excitement of being a 5 dan and watch hikaru :lol:
... even at 5 dan there still are people who are going to smash u, i wont stop playing go otherwise i probably would have quit by now...
i think go is a game i can play forever die and go to heaven and play the greatest players for eternity...
So when Im the strongest person around i would just give out handicap but until then i take a loss as lesson learned it only make me smarter

Post #14 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 am 
Lives in gote

this is the most difficult games of the the day the other two i didn't post but they were challenging also
they all were played on Wbaduk in the china room against 1404668187 13K*
his game speaks for itself i added comments via smartgo
i put what i think i should have done instead in each game

Attachments:
11-12-3.sgf [1.23 KiB]
Downloaded 460 times
11-12-2.sgf [1.27 KiB]
Downloaded 468 times
11-12-1.sgf [1.76 KiB]
Downloaded 486 times

Post #15 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:20 am 
Lives in gote

this is the most challenging even game with someone around my strength

Attachments:
11-13-0.sgf [1.37 KiB]
Downloaded 454 times

Post #16 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:54 am 
Lives in gote

Wow, so far on the poll nobody said Teaching games helped them the most with their game...
now the reviesed study plan

my goal is still single digit kyu -Wbaduk

the hyperbolic time chamber now consitsts of

a)serious games on wbaduk

b)go problems

c)review games

d)study go world

i will do each activity actively as much as possible until i reach my goal then i will focus on more advanced techniques

Post #17 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:33 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
1986 wrote:
Wow, so far on the poll nobody said Teaching games helped them the most with their game...
now the reviesed study plan

Most people haven't had the opportunity to do many of them. Either you pay, or you get very generous people to give you lots of them for free. I personally think that this is the most effective use of time if you can get it (serious games against stronger people with a proper review afterwards), but it's not as easily available as the other options. All the other 4 options you can just do when you want, so they are likely to contribute more to your overall improvement simply because you can put 20 times the amount of time into each of them :)

For me, most of my improvement has come from playing and reading books, and the few teaching games I've had have universally been of value. Even now, if I wanted to seriously improve and actually had any money to spare on my own pursuits, I'd be paying for someone like JeffChang or Hwang In-Seong to teach me one to one.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:02 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
1986 wrote:

I checked reviewing games because it is more inclusive than teaching games. When I was learning go, almost all of my games could be considered teaching games because we reviewed the game afterwards. (The weakest player I played was a 5 kyu. :))

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #19 Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:59 pm 
Lives in gote

i played go all day yesterday as much as i could and the games were either a disaster or they went my way easily so there isn't much to report there
i did review the games myself and i can spot some of the big mistakes i make
but i really like to study how my opponent coordinates all his stones to work together
so far when i review a game i waste at least 4 stones i can notice and i pay for it every time.

the go world part of my study plan is going good i can add variations to the games and add the commentary very easily via smartgo;
smartgo also has most of the games the go world covers in sgf format built in its database.

i have been going over the basic tsumego problems set on my go grinder app while i wait for game its hard to say how many i do because i don't reset the problem set every time i start but im 67% right so far and i answered 74

my focus today is to play a more solid game than yesterday so maybe i will have more to report on later
:study:

Post #20 Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:47 pm 
Lives in gote

it was a better day in my go i won 1 game and lost 6 at first i was frustrated so i just did another go activity until i calmed down; ie like solve some problems or read out the ladders in the go world and i was on this site i read somebody say rank is a reflection of your understanding of the game so i was like hey i need to understand why they do what they do so i started looking at my games a little deeper :study:

This post by 1986 was liked by: Raidhyn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next