Post subject: creating a journal
Post #1 Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
KGS: markeemark
Online playing schedule: irregular due to work
Hi Folks

Im very new to go and would be keen to develop a study journal. I have seen people's on line and would like to build a journal of study, as a complete new player, I was wondering whether at the beginning it was better to read the books I have (Davies, Iwamoto etc) in order to get some feel and then go from there. Or whether people had any advice on creating a beginner's journal.

I have downloaded some good tsumego problems and am starting to look through them.

Finally does anyone no where i can get a decent set from in the uk?

thanks

markeemark

Post subject: Re: creating a journal
Post #2 Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 37
Universal go server handle: MagicMagor
Quote:
I was wondering whether at the beginning it was better to read the books I have (Davies, Iwamoto etc) in order to get some feel and then go from there. Or whether people had any advice on creating a beginner's journal.

For a beginner (30k) i would say, lay the books aside and play. The fastest way to get a feel for the game is actually playing it. So go an a server (i recommened KGS) and start playing some games against real people, playing on a 9x9 is best for a beginner. Play against stronger or equal opponents and get a stronger player to comment on your games.
With this you get experience on how stones interact, what typicals moves and shapes are. With that you can look at the other options to get stronger.

Tsumego (Go Problems) is a good way to learn basic shapes and train reading. I would lay the theory books aside for the time being. You can read them if you are a bit stronger. Most of them are aimed at a stronger audience and are therefore way too difficult for a 30k to understand. (Unless it is specificly aimed at beginners, "Second book of Go" comes to mind there, or problem-collections - Graded Go Problems for Beginners Vol. 1+2)

But overall, play, play and play. Especially in the beginning, nothing beats the experience you get from playing and a short review of your games.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
MagicMagor wrote:
But overall, play, play and play. Especially in the beginning, nothing beats the experience you get from playing and a short review of your games.

Yep, I second this!

But on the other hand, I think some basic books about opening strategy and Tsumego can't be bad. I'd take "Opening Theory Made Easy" and the first two volumes of "Graded Go Problems For Beginners" for starters. See, if they suit you : )

Furthermore, I wouldn't play on 9x9 because I think the step to 19x19 will become much harder if you are used to contact fighting all along. For faster games, I think 15x15 is better. But again, see, what suits you best!

As for the set, I don't know a shop in the UK but for european shops there are http://www.schaakengo.nl/ and http://mohsart.se/, in the US I know http://www.slateandshell.com/

Welcome in the world of Go =)

Post #4 Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 am 
Dies with sente

Thanks folks

I do have an account at KGS so will make a start on there!!

My background is chess (thats where the more formal structured theoretical learning comes from).

I appreciate the point that was made regarding playing, my thinking was i could do with some fundamentals as well. I'll go with the recommendations of the graded go problems and take it from there.

Thanks again

markeemark

Post #5 Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:30 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
GD Posts: 320
KGS: rat
Coming from chess and beginning in weiqi, i could recommend you go for beginners from Iwamoto kaoru, quite appreciated by players who like this style of book with a exhaustive review of the base of the game in a small format

Post #6 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:14 pm 
Dies with sente

Hi Folks

I think Ive made a start on the journal. I've read a couple of people's journals online and think the work below may be a good place to begin.

I got some books for Xmas: Iwamoto's, a couple of other titles like fundamental priniciples of Go by Yilun Yang and fundamental lessons in Go.

I also found a Go Club not far from where I live who have a few more resources and what appears to be a useful group of players.

I set up an account on KGS and a couple of turn based Go accounts at Dragon Server and OGS.

My study plan for 2011 is:

Jan-March 2011:
Iwamoto's book first and foremost in order to lay some foundations.
Moving onto playing 3-4 games a week (not too many due to work committments).
Life and death (A major area of trouble for me currently)some more detailed opening work and actually schedule plenty of rest in between (to keep focus!).

I also learn a fair bit away from the board, at Life in 19x19 where i can talk and learn from other players.

Playing turn based games alongside other games (not many as I have heard contrary opinion this form of Go).

After March 2011: Take stock and build in tusemgo etc and increase play slightly.

If anyone has further advice or can offer instruction via email or training games please get in touch as I would really appreciate it.

I hope everyone has a good Christmas and gains greater strength and prosperity at the Goban in the new year.

Regards
Markeemark (30 kyu).

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 am 
Dies with sente

Update:

Still reading Iwamoto. Working through life and death problems by Bozulich and another chinese book, weiqi 1001 life and death problems.

Im starting to see patterns and also playing on KGS at a more reasonble 13 K although probably still a bit high I feel like 20K! (although KGS wrongly put me at 5 originally!).

Im beginning to understand that the go path is a long one, anyway just thought Id give an update.

Back to the book catch up soon!

Enjoy your endeavours

Mark