It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: study notes~
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
KGS: SirGalahad
I'm your typical 3k. My reading is very weak only 1 or 2 moves ahead if at all. I'm lazy, playing shape moves instead of reading. I have some understanding of opening theory and endgame, almost no joseki knowledge and I'm clueless in middle game. I always thought that if I put enough energy improving up to 3d won't be too hard. But time passed and I'm still hanging around 3k.

Hoping for your kind support.

Post subject: Re: study notes~
Post #2 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:40 pm 
Beginner

for the past month.

got kgs+
watched Yilun Yang's lecture. He's amazing, his comments are simple and easy to follow.
watched MaedaRyo's lecture, it was nice on close combat, should re-watch.

found The Enclave and Battousai's livestream, I've heard of him before but never knew he was such a great teacher.
the idea of making a video of a strong player commenting while playing is simply brilliant, I think he's the only teacher who does that. I've watched ~10 games and already feel stronger.

solved all of the 15k and half of 12k problems at goproblems.com

also joined ASR League, for playing serious games(not that I'm not serious while playing my regular ranked games..)

Last edited by Galahad on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Galahad was liked by: stalkor

Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:40 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
If you want my opinion, reading ability = tsumego is the most important thing, and without decent reading ability (I'm arbitrarily going to define this as the ability to knock out any problem in Cho Chikun's Dictionary of Life and Death (elementary) in less than 45 seconds or so) you won't make it far past 1k.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:29 am 
Beginner

Shaddy wrote:
If you want my opinion, reading ability = tsumego is the most important thing, and without decent reading ability (I'm arbitrarily going to define this as the ability to knock out any problem in Cho Chikun's Dictionary of Life and Death (elementary) in less than 45 seconds or so) you won't make it far past 1k.

right, that's why for now I'm solving problems from goproblems.com at work on my phone.

I also have a nudging idea of putting all problems from Tesuji of EGS in sgf format to be able to solve them on my phone as well, but it's such a hassle.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 am 
Beginner

finished 12k problems on goproblems.com, not very happy about it, going to solve them again next week.

played some good games, won against 1k, played a close game in ASR League vs 1k but lost by 2.5.

almost finished watching Battousai's own games videos, only 1.5 game left.

tried solving Cho Chikun's Encyclopedia of Life and Death Elementary, some of the problems are easy and I solve them on sight(but I try to read out all possible incorrect variations as well so it takes time). And some of them are very hard and I can spend minutes not seeing shortage of liberties or imagining it where there is no such thing.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm 
Beginner

finished watching all Battousai's dan series lectures, and watched 2 regular pro game reviews.

finished first in my class EpsVII in ASR League, great experience overall, and very excited about my new class, most of the players there are stronger than me(even couple of dans). I noticed that the lack of joseki knowledge is my biggest weakness- I lose games in fuseki and can't even it up in middle game.

Also I'd like to start studying from audiogolessons.com so I would really appreciate the input on what lectures should I get and what would be good for my level?

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:54 pm 
Beginner

I feel overwhelmed.

I have so much to study ahead of me, I have so much material. Lots of books, videos, reviews. I don't know how to proceed and I really want a plan now.

As for what I've done:

I've played only one game I feel good about. Others were also fun but I couldn't give them enough focus.

I've watched ~5 kgs+ lectures.
Breakfast reviewing pro games is very interesting. Lee Yeongkyu(how to use influence), Cho Hunhyun(how to win games in in fuseki), Park Jungwhan(rising star).
Yilun Yang reviewed a great fighting game which started with tengen and attachment(very instructional)

I've also watched ~5 Battousai's lectures.

I feel like I'm definitely gaining something from every lecture, getting better by the day, even if it's 0.001 of a stone.

As for tsumego didn't do much. Less than a 100 from gochild and cho chikun's elementary.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 1103
KGS: buzzsaw
You might consider the group lessons with Guo Juan. They are a good value because you can watch all of the other groups if you want.

Terri

Post #9 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm 
Beginner

goddess wrote:
You might consider the group lessons with Guo Juan. They are a good value because you can watch all of the other groups if you want.

Terri

I don't have a load of money which they worth.

Post #10 Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
Beginner

so, I have a plan now.

1. study EGS vol.4 Life and Death (I chose it first because it's harder and hence more boring)
2. study EGS vol.3 Tesuji
3. study Get Strong at Tesuji

(It should help, shouldn't it?)

and most important 4 watch video lectures to procrastinate~

ps. mr Yang's quote from recent lecture: When you have a fight- DON'T PANIC!