It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For the love of the game
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: kwhyte
I've introduced myself in other threads, and posted some games for analysis, but finally decided to start a journal here. I've been away from the game for a long time, and have just picked it up again. I'm sure I'll have a lot of stupid things to say. To start, what has changed the most for me over time are my reasons for playing. Once I just wanted to get stronger, and almost elevated understanding of the game to the level of a moral virtue. Now, with a career, children, and a lot more perspective, that all seems a bit silly. The game is a hobby, and I do it because it is fun, interesting, and satisfying. Before I was crushed or elated depending on whether I could push my rank up a stone or two, and wins and losses at the weekly club would stick with me until the next meeting. In fact, one of the reasons I started to play much less over time was that I just cared too much about my results. I still have a hard time letting go of stupid moves, but now I find it hard to care if I win. Before, if I knew my opponent's weaknesses I'd try to move the game in that direction so I could increase my chances of a victory. Now, I'm more likely to try to play to their strength to get the most interesting game I can. Basically, I'm now just looking to see what I can get out of the game and taking it much less seriously. One aspect of this is that I now enjoy studying the game (via interesting books, replaying games, or just thinking about it) at least as much as actually playing. Probably this means I will not get stronger as fast as I could, and I will not spend time on things like life and death or endgame problems once they start to feel like work - even if I know they would help me win more. After all, I am not and will never be a pro - I'm not playing because I can get something out of winning, I'm playing because I enjoy the process.

Anyway, enough babbling. I promise my next post will have actual positions in it.

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Nice, kwhyte. :)

Post subject: Re: For the love of the game
Post #3 Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Hi kwhyte!

I hope your study goes along nicely, and I'm waiting to see what your plan or steps are. You can check my own study journal here, too :)

See you again, and if you happen to play in KGS, please let me know and maybe we can fire a game.

Post subject: Re: For the love of the game
Post #4 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
Universal go server handle: kwhyte
So, life has obviously interfered. I still have a lot of thoughts I'd like to share on how/why I play, but haven't managed to write them coherently. I have been reading the forums on and off, and finally started playing again. I have made a commitment to myself to post my games with thoughts. Hopefully people will find the comments useful/amusing, and I welcome any feedback or questions about either the moves or the comments.

Attachments:
kwhyte-TCHATTE-commented.sgf [10.59 KiB]
Downloaded 478 times

This post by kwhyte was liked by: rhubarb