All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muone’s search for truth
Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Muone
Hello 19x19!

I’ve been playing Go on and off for about a year now improving somewhat shakily , though the past couple of months I have started feeling a strong urge to improve and take my game to a new level. I thought that starting a study journal might be a good way to give myself and others that might happen by it a bit of extra motivation and encouragement!
So I’ll try to post any study progress I make and any interesting games I play or otherwise come across.

The main areas I want to improve in my game are currently:

• Endgame
• Midgame judgment and reading speed
• Online game anxiety

My plan to do this mainly from doing daily tsumego and tesuji drilling, (I’m currently working on the 1001 collection, about halfway through) and playing a lot more games (I joined the ASR league in February). Studying pro games will also be a part of my study regime, all though a smaller piece than playing and doing problems, the pros I currently like to study the most are Takemiya Masaki and Go Seigen.
The actual playing of games is what i think is holding my progress back the most, online I usually play about 2-3 games a week and one or two at the club, I would like this to be at least 7-10 games online.

I’m usually online on KGS from 18-24 GMT+1 weekdays and more diversely on weekends. So if you see me online don’t hesitate to give me a call, I’m usually up for a long game whit a solid review!
If you would like a review on your own game and you think I can help I’m usually in for that as well, teaching I think is one of the best ways to improve yourself!

Rank graph:

Here is my Latest game in the ASR league:

My first big mistake i think is 26, 34 i'm not to sure of ether and 40 just feels slow.

That’s all for now :salute: , I hope to see you around and maybe play a game! Much enjoyment :) !

Post subject: Re: Muone’s search for truth
Post #2 Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 14
KGS: 1.Dan
OGS: 4k
Universal go server handle: Celebrir
Muone wrote:

If you didn't read it already, I recommend to read "Positional Judgment High-Speed Game Analysis" by Cho Chikun. I'm currently reading this book and it is really great.

Muone wrote:
Hello 19x19!
So if you see me online don’t hesitate to give me a call, I’m usually up for a long game whit a solid review!

Really long game ? If you would like to play a 1 hour game, I would like to be your opponent :)

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:12 am 
Beginner

Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:

If you didn't read it already, I recommend to read "Positional Judgment High-Speed Game Analysis" by Cho Chikun. I'm currently reading this book and it is really great.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't so i'll definitively have a look at it when i get a chance!

Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:
Hello 19x19!
So if you see me online don’t hesitate to give me a call, I’m usually up for a long game whit a solid review!

Really long game ? If you would like to play a 1 hour game, I would like to be your opponent :)

I never play games whit a main time less than 25 min, and i'm still almost always in in SD by late midgame/ endgame. So a 1 hour i'll definitely enjoy :D .

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 am 
Lives in gote

Muone wrote:
I never play games whit a main time less than 25 min, and i'm still almost always in in SD by late midgame/ endgame. So a 1 hour i'll definitely enjoy :D .

I envy you... I have the problem that I never use my time if I have a lot of and want to get rid of this habit... It's really annoying if one loses a tournament game with 1 hour thinking time because one played to hasty... (At my last 1 hour tournament I used less than 30 minutes in four of five games...)

I have my last exam at my university at Friday. If you want we can play afterwards :)

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:44 pm 
Beginner

Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:

I envy you... I have the problem that I never use my time if I have a lot of and want to get rid of this habit... It's really annoying if one loses a tournament game with 1 hour thinking time because one played to hasty... (At my last 1 hour tournament I used less than 30 minutes in four of five games...)

I have my last exam at my university at Friday. If you want we can play afterwards :)

I got rid of my last exams for this period last week so I'll probably be available in the weekend, just a couple of hand-ins that need some attention but i shouldn't be a problem.

On a completely other note, lesson learned today:

• Don't overplay to make a bigger win while ahead, greed will com back an bite you in the tail.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:03 am 
Lives in gote

Muone wrote:
I got rid of my last exams for this period last week so I'll probably be available in the weekend, just a couple of hand-ins that need some attention but i shouldn't be a problem.

I could play at Saturday evening. By the way, in which timezone are you ?

Muone wrote:

• Don't overplay to make a bigger win while ahead, greed will com back an bite you in the tail.

If you really learned that and are able to do it in your games from now on you are another step ahead of me ;)

Post #7 Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:03 pm 
Beginner

Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:

I'm in GMT+1.

Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:

If you really learned that and are able to do it in your games from now on you are another step ahead of me ;)

What's learnt one day may be forgotten the other ;-) .

New ASR game:

I think W26 was my first mistake, i choose the wrong direction in envy of blacks corner/ development potential on the Left side. G5 might have bin a more solid option, allowing white to ether go in to the corner later or take an approach on the upper side.
Next comes W54 at O10, which i feel is kind of slow, but i don't see faster way of protecting my weak group while trying to attack black.
W56 feels even worse for the same reasons as W55 and in addition loosing my sente.
After this i feel that the game just slants downhill for white until i finally give up, which i probably ought to have done earlier that i did.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:10 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I think 25 was calling for an approach to the top right, that area looks too empty. But of course, I know nothing about fuseki :)

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:52 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Muone,
Basics: Broken Shape.
In the gingo game, if W does not die, then you must block with :w40: at N6; otherwise W gets a broken shape. (see below)

And :w26: is OK, no problem. The problem is :w32: -- if you keima at S5 ( :b33:) instead of the clamp, then no problem later.

How W can live with :w40: at N6 -- pro sequence:

Post #10 Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:05 am 
Lives in gote

Muone wrote:
Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:

I'm in GMT+1.

That's nice, I'm in the same timezone. What about playing Saturday at 6 p.m. ?

About your game: Against san-ren-sei I always would go into the corner at the first corner and use the sente to attack the other hoshi. I do this because I hate it if the opponent gets sente and can play something like :b85:

Post #11 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:12 am 
Beginner

Celebrir wrote:
Muone wrote:
[hide]
Celebrir wrote:

I'm in GMT+1.

That's nice, I'm in the same timezone. What about playing Saturday at 6 p.m. ?

About your game: Against san-ren-sei I always would go into the corner at the first corner and use the sente to attack the other hoshi. I do this because I hate it if the opponent gets sente and can play something like :b85:

Today at 18:00 is good for me!

Thanks for the input on my game, RBerenguel, EdLee and Celebrir! It's much appriciated :)

Post #12 Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:41 am 
Lives in gote

Muone wrote:
Today at 18:00 is good for me!

Sorry, got something to do today :cry:

Do you have time during the week ?

Post #13 Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:55 am 
Beginner

Hello!

Long time no see, got swamped in work to at the university so i have not been able to spend so much time on Go (Or anything else beside studying) the last few weeks. But i'm entering a re-exam period now so i should be able to catch up a bit.

I got to experience another bit of wisdom regarding Go, or rather learning in general. It's extremely important to apply new knowledge gained studying to playing as soon and as much as possible. I studied Go a lot when i began writing this journal and i could notice progress in my play too. Then i slacked of a bit till now, and i feel like i'm back where I started a couple of weeks ago.

On a happier note, new month means ASR April league has stared (I'm in Gamma 1 now), I hope i I'll be able to play a bit more now than in March!