DAY 4 (April 11): 15k
DAY 6 (April 14): 14k
DAY 9 (April 17): 13k
DAY 19 (April 27): 12k
DAY 43 (May 23): 11k
DAY 51 (June 1): 10k

TARGET DATE: June 8 2012

Hey everyone,

I'm new to forums, been reading it for a bit but thought I'd post my personal goal in this topic. I've played go off and on a few times, but this time I really want to stick with it, so I have made a personal goal. I am currently a 16k on KGS, and will achieve 9k in 60 days (June 8th). I think I can do it, and I want to post here to help keep track both for myself, and maybe get some help from you guys :). I've been reading in this section and it seems you guys are a huge help.

I am reading books and doing go problems to help me achieve this goal. I am reading the Elementary Go Series, Play Go Against Strong Players and the Fundamentals of Go. I have so far finished Volume one of Elementary go (on openings), and I think it's been a huge help. I do go problems on go child.

I thought maybe I would start by posting my last game played (17k vs 17k), which brought me to 16k where I start this journey. It is a close game, but it was closer than it should have been. I made 3 major mistakes. The lesson I took from this game was that before each move, I should probably take another 5 seconds to think about it before making it.

Anyways, do you guys think I can do it? Let me know what you think, and if not, what can I do to be able to achieve this goal.

Thanks all!

DAY 1 (April 8): 16k
DAY 9 (April 17): 13k
DAY 19 (April 27): 12k
DAY 43 (May 23): 11k
DAY 51 (June 1): 10k

TARGET DATE: June 8 2012

Last edited by Drewch on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Goal: 16k -> 9k in 60 days
Post #2 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:01 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Drewch,

I think that your goal is doable, but it will require changing your way of thinking about the game. I recommend that you play against play against people who already think differently than you, i. e., players 9 kyu and above. :)

Good luck!

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:19 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Welcome to the forums.

Can you make single digit kyu? In sixty days? Sure. :tmbup:

Post more games like this ( they will get better visibility in the 'game analysis' subforum ) , study the answers, and you'll do it easily. Heck, just the comments below are worth at least one stone. :mrgreen:

================================================

Move 8: Why step into such a small space when the top side is available? I'd try K17 or L17.

EDIT: This extra room is more than just a difference of degree. When you get enough room, it is a different kind of room.

Experience has shown the the 2-space extension on the third line:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . .
$$ . . . . . . . .
$$ . . X . . X . .
$$ . . . . . . . .
$$ . . . . . . . .[/go]

...is almost always good for one eye. In other words, you are half alive already. See http://senseis.xmp.net/?TwoSpaceExtension, it is one of the building blocks for fuseki.

In your game, a play like this is guaranteed to have room for a two space extension:

[go]$$Wc 'A' and 'b' are miai
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . a . . 1 . . b . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |[/go]

In other words, if he tries to crowd you from one side, you extend the other way:

[go]$$Wc A 2-space extension. Life should be easy.
$$ | . . X . . . 3 . . 1 . . 2 . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |

Not only is the top side bigger, it is almost a certainty that you can live there even against the most determined attack - because you can get a two space extension.

Move 14: This move allows your opponent too much. Remember, with R15, he has stated that he wants to make territory in the corner.

[go]$$Bc Grabbing corner territory
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . X . . . |
$$ . . . X B . . |
$$ . . O X O . . |
$$ . . . O . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |[/go]

Compare it to a joseki like this:
[go]$$Bc
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . 1 . . . |
$$ . . . . a . . |
$$ . . 5 3 2 . . |
$$ . . . 4 . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |[/go]

...which, instead of playing 'a' for territory, black goes for influence with :b5:

Either of these is joseki, and both have meaning. Your opponent has declared that he wants territory in the corner. So you have a choice: do you contest it, or do you go for the parts of the board that he is leaving open for you?

If you check the joseki books or web sites, you will find that the two most common responses by white fit exactly those two options:

[go]$$Bc The most common play by white - letting black have territory, and taking influence for himself.
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . 1 . . . |
$$ . . . 7 5 . . |
$$ . . 6 3 2 . . |
$$ . . 8 4 . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |[/go]

[go]$$Bc The second most common play by white - contesting the territory.
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . 1 . . . |
$$ . . . 7 5 . . |
$$ . . 6 3 2 8 . |
$$ . . . 4 . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |[/go]

Your move:

[go]$$Bc
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . 1 . . . |
$$ . . . 7 5 . . |
$$ . . 6 3 2 B . |
$$ . . . 4 . . . |
$$ . . . . 8 . . |[/go]

...unfortunately does neither. Note that he can play S14, getting more of the territory that he wants, and he can do it in sente.

...it is brunch time here...more later...

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: RBerenguel

Post #4 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Yes, I think you can do it if you work hard at it.

If you're interested, here are some questions for you to think about for this game. Many of them are like the go problems you've been doing, but some require a little bit more judgment.

Move 68: You captured black's group in the game, that was very good. But can you see a more immediate way to do it here on this move?

Move 79: Do you need to respond to black?

Move 81: Do you need to respond to black?

Move 126, 128: You absolutely cannot let yourself be cut at K4. If black plays there (as on move 129), your shape is broken and what would have almost been fifth line territory becomes black's playground. This move is so important that objectively, it may even be best for black to ignore your peep and play there right away on move 127!

Move 137: There is a better move for *black* here. What is it?

Move 151: Do you need to respond to black?

Move 164: You can capture H9 here. How?

Move 174: This move is a mistake. It enables black to connect and make an attempt to live, as in the game. What would have been better?

Move 175: Besides connecting, Black also has another interesting response to move 174 that more directly shows that move 174 is a mistake. What is it?

Move 180: Connecting as in the game dies right away. You can do better. Can you see how?

Move 210: Black ignored you on move 206 to play this and threaten 2 of your stones. Rather than save them, you can capture 2 of black's stones *and* destroy a large chunk of blacks territory. How?

Move 226, Move 228: Where should you play instead?

Move 264: This is hopeless. Black's Q7 group has about 5 eyes. And K12 is connected to the upper left. Instead of this move, what are some places where you can squeeze out a few more endgame points?

Welcome, and good luck! :tmbup:

Post #5 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Best of luck Drewch, hit me up for a few games sometime on KGS. :)

Post #6 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:47 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
KGS: drewch
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

Move 8: Why step into such a small space when the top side is available? I'd try K17 or L17.

In your game, a play like this is guaranteed to have room for a two space extension:

Not only is the top side bigger, it is almost a certainty that you can live there even against the most determined attack - because you can get a two space extension.

Thanks, this is good to know. Looking back, it does look odd that I took that spot. I think my rational was hoping that he would go O17 or something, and then I could move down and attack his stone on the middle left. But .. that thinking is flawed I guess, mainly because he can use that same stone to put pressure on my white stone. Is that correct?

I have a follow up question about the two point jump as well:

[go]$$Wc Can I make a two jump point to a in this case?
$$ | . . . . a . . B . . b . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . , . O . . . . . . . |

If White plays K17, can I play a, and if white plays F17, can I play b.

Or is this the closest case where the two point extension becomes no longer correct?

Post #7 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:52 am 
Dies with sente

Joaz Banbeck wrote:

Your move:

[go]$$Bc
$$---------------
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . 1 . . . |
$$ . . . 7 5 . . |
$$ . . 6 3 2 B . |
$$ . . . 4 . . . |
$$ . . . . 8 . . |[/go]

...unfortunately does neither. Note that he can play S14, getting more of the territory that he wants, and he can do it in sente.

Thanks, I've played around on EidoGo for about 10 minutes going through the variations for this Joeseki :)
I won't make this mistake again!

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
...it is brunch time here...more later...

Awsome, thanks a lot. Looking forward to it!

Post #8 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:19 pm 
Judan

*Burp*

Move 24: This is thin. A two-space jump off of two stones is maybe ok in a sparsly populated environment, but with Q15 and Q16 nearby, it is too thin. He can push through with O15. The subsequent variations are complicated, but they seem to turn out well for black.

Moves 25&27&29: Dubious moves by black, but you have to exploit his weakness by playing N13 on move 30. Or...

Move 30: When you start attacking his corner with Q17, your stone is in too much danger. ( Stones have 4 liberties. When you play this stone next to an opponent's stone, it has 3 liberties. It is 1/4 dead already. )

If you really want to hurt his corner, the better way to do it is Q18. Then when he replies, you keep pushing in.

[go]$$Wc
$$----------------
$$ . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . 1 3 . . |
$$ . X O . . 2 . . |
$$ . X O . X . . . |
$$ . X O . X X . . |
$$ . . O O X O . . |
$$ . . . X O O . . |
$$ . . X X X O . . |
$$ . . . . O . . . |
$$ . . X . . O . . |
$$ . . . . . . . . |[/go]

Note that your stones are much healtier now ( more liberties ). And if he tries to stop you with 4:

[go]$$Wc
$$----------------
$$ . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . 1 3 4 . |
$$ . X O . . 2 a . |
$$ . X O . X . 5 . |
$$ . X O . X X b . |
$$ . . O O X O . . |
$$ . . . X O O . . |
$$ . . X X X O . . |
$$ . . . . O . . . |
$$ . . X . . O . . |

You get the vital point with 5. ( See http://senseis.xmp.net/?VitalPoint )

Now 'a' and 'b' are miai. ( Again, SL is your friend: http://senseis.xmp.net/?Miai )

[go]$$Wc
$$----------------
$$ . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . 1 3 4 . |
$$ . X O . . 2 6 . |
$$ . X O . X . 5 . |
$$ . X O . X X 7 . |
$$ . . O O X O . . |
$$ . . . X O O . . |
$$ . . X X X O . . |
$$ . . . . O . . . |
$$ . . X . . O . . |

[go]$$Wc
$$----------------
$$ . . . . . . . . |
$$ . . . . 1 3 4 . |
$$ . X O . . 2 7 . |
$$ . X O . X . 5 . |
$$ . X O . X X 6 . |
$$ . . O O X O . . |
$$ . . . X O O . . |
$$ . . X X X O . . |
$$ . . . . O . . . |
$$ . . X . . O . . |

Post #9 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:01 pm 
Dies with sente

lightvector wrote:
Yes, I think you can do it if you work hard at it.

If you're interested, here are some questions for you to think about for this game. Many of them are like the go problems you've been doing, but some require a little bit more judgment.

Yes, definitely interested. Thanks!

lightvector wrote:
Move 68: You captured black's group in the game, that was very good. But can you see a more immediate way to do it here on this move?

I don't see it in this case, if I don't make O13, but play to take away a liberty, and then he connects to one of his other stones (L16 or M18), then won't he play o13 after and kill my 3 stone group? I played it as many ways as I can think of, and from what I can see, I have to play O13 here or on my next move if I put him in atari in move 68.

lightvector wrote:

I think so, or else won't I lose Q19 group?

lightvector wrote:
Move 81: Do you need to respond to black?

No, I guess I can wait until he plays there one more time, I just wanted to be sure of killing his group rather than letting it come back alive. Something I need to stop doing as soon as possible.

lightvector wrote:
Move 126, 128: You absolutely cannot let yourself be cut at K4. If black plays there (as on move 129), your shape is broken and what would have almost been fifth line territory becomes black's playground. This move is so important that objectively, it may even be best for black to ignore your peep and play there right away on move 127!

Ah, your right, this was definitely a poor mistake, I am not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for pointing it out.

lightvector wrote:

M2 would have been a great move for black

lightvector wrote:

I responded to it with H2. I think it is a better response than responding directly to it at L2 or M3. In fact, if I respond directly at L2 or M3, then I lose some stones no matter what.

I'm curious to what you think about this, I thought H2 was actually my best response, by far. I don't think it can be completely ignored, and I don't think it should be responded with directly (l2 or m3).

lightvector wrote:
Move 164: You can capture H9 here. How?

Bah, this cost me a lot of points. G9!

lightvector wrote:
Move 174: This move is a mistake. It enables black to connect and make an attempt to live, as in the game. What would have been better?

Yes, another huge mistake. Perhaps I should have just played A12 to capture the stones I had in atari?
I thought it was fine at the time if he connects, because I did not realize my A14 group would be cut down to two liberties.

lightvector wrote:
Move 175: Besides connecting, Black also has another interesting response to move 174 that more directly shows that move 174 is a mistake. What is it?

Wow! B4! Didn't even see that, that could have been awful.

lightvector wrote:
Move 180: Connecting as in the game dies right away. You can do better. Can you see how?

A9/A7 ... Dang. What a tricky situation, good game to review. Lots of big mistakes by me

lightvector wrote:
Move 210: Black ignored you on move 206 to play this and threaten 2 of your stones. Rather than save them, you can capture 2 of black's stones *and* destroy a large chunk of blacks territory. How?

I can ignore and capture H18 and J18, but I think you have something bigger in mind, I can't see it though.

lightvector wrote:

I'm not too sure, is there actually anything I could have done in there? I need to improve on that, most of my moves in there was just trying out random stuff, not thinking that anything would work. This doesn't cost me points does it? Only if he ignores right?

lightvector wrote:
Move 264: This is hopeless. Black's Q7 group has about 5 eyes. And K12 is connected to the upper left. Instead of this move, what are some places where you can squeeze out a few more endgame points?

Probably T4 or B4, is there anything bigger?
lightvector wrote:
Welcome, and good luck! :tmbup:

Thanks, and thanks for the post!

Post #10 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
Dies with sente

Boidhre wrote:

Thanks, I added you to friends on KGS.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
*Burp*

Move 24: This is thin. A two-space jump off of two stones is maybe ok in a sparsly populated environment, but with Q15 and Q16 nearby, it is too thin. He can push through with O15. The subsequent variations are complicated, but they seem to turn out well for black.

Moves 25&27&29: Dubious moves by black, but you have to exploit his weakness by playing N13 on move 30. Or...

Move 30: When you start attacking his corner with Q17, your stone is in too much danger. ( Stones have 4 liberties. When you play this stone next to an opponent's stone, it has 3 liberties. It is 1/4 dead already. )

If you really want to hurt his corner, the better way to do it is Q18. Then when he replies, you keep pushing in.

Great explanations, thanks!

Post #12 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:01 pm 
Oza

Drewch wrote:
Boidhre wrote:

Thanks, I added you to friends on KGS.

Same here, I warn you though my hours are odd! :)

We're both fresh to 16k though so it should be interesting and we have rather different playstyles I think.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

I don't see it in this case, if I don't make O13, but play to take away a liberty, and then he connects to one of his other stones (L16 or M18), then won't he play o13 after and kill my 3 stone group? I played it as many ways as I can think of, and from what I can see, I have to play O13 here or on my next move if I put him in atari in move 68.

How about this? :)
[go]$$Wc Short ladder
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . O O X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . X O O . O X X X |
$$ | . . X . . . . . O . 3 1 X O . O X . O |
$$ | . . . X . . . . 5 4 X 2 X O . X . X X |
$$ | . . . . . . . . O O O O X O . X X O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . X X O X X X O O X O O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . O X O O O . X O O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . X X X . X X X O . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . |[/go]

Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

Correct, so your move is fine. However, if you want to take a slightly more advanced view...

It turns out that playing away is slightly better. If black spends another move to take the stones, black still isn't threatening anything else, so you can play away a second time! My estimate is that ignoring black's 2 moves costs about 13 points in the upper right. But as a rule of thumb, playing big opening-like moves in a wide area of the board is worth easily 10 points per move. Since you traded 2 big moves elsewhere for black's 2 moves taking your stones, you this puts you perhaps 20-13 = 7 points ahead.

The important thing is that it's just a "dead-weight" 4 stone group at stake here. The capture doesn't harm your main group's safety, it doesn't threaten to cut or break into anything else, black's group is already alive so the capture doesn't strengthen it, it doesn't affect either player's outside influence, etc. If any of those things were significantly affected, it would be worth much more and then it would likely be worth protecting.

Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

M2 is okay. But actually, I was thinking J4 or J6. Connecting here is much more important than saving the stone at K1. Notice that when black let you cut there, you eventually (after a few more errors by black) captured the entire group.

Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

I responded to it with H2. I think it is a better response than responding directly to it at L2 or M3. In fact, if I respond directly at L2 or M3, then I lose some stones no matter what.

I'm curious to what you think about this, I thought H2 was actually my best response, by far. I don't think it can be completely ignored, and I don't think it should be responded with directly (l2 or m3).

Your move is good, you are right that you do need to respond. But it's still a good habit to ask yourself this question frequently. If you have a sharp eye, you may find your opponents surprisingly often playing moves that don't actually threaten anything (77,81) or that don't threaten enough for you to care (47, 79).

Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

Yes, another huge mistake. Perhaps I should have just played A12 to capture the stones I had in atari?
I thought it was fine at the time if he connects, because I did not realize my A14 group would be cut down to two liberties.

No, capturing at A12 would be a waste of a move. You should only do it if black connects at A10.
The best move in this type of shape is to just extend at B4. Black's whole group is dead that way.
[go]$$Wc Black cannot get 2 eyes
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . O X . . O O X . |
$$ | . . . . . . . X X O O . O O O O X X X |
$$ | . . X . . . . . O . . . . O X O X . O |
$$ | . . . X . . . X O O . O . O . X . X X |
$$ | . O X . . . . X O O O O . O . X X O . |
$$ | . O X . . . . X X O . . . O O X O O . |
$$ | O X O . . . . . O X O O O O X O O . . |
$$ | 3 X O . . . . X X X X X . X X X O . . |
$$ | X O O O . O . O O . . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | 2 X O , . . . O . , . . . . X , O . . |
$$ | . X O . . . X X O . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | 4 X O . . X O O X X . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . X O X . . . . X . X O . |
$$ | 5 X O . X O X . O . . . . . . X O . . |
$$ | X O . . X X O O O X X X . . . . O . . |
$$ | . 1 . O O O . . O X O O X X X , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X O . . O O X O O O O . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . O O . O . X . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . O . . O . . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

And yes, if you are ever trying to block a first-line hane like 173 and your stone (the one at B5) has only 2 liberties, you *must* check for the B4 cut tactic. If this tactic is possible, then you need to extend at least once at B4 before it becomes safe to block. Or, if the opponent is dead, as in this case, then you don't have to block ever. Just keep extending and letting Black crawl on the first line, since the whole thing is dead anyways.

Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

I can ignore and capture H18 and J18, but I think you have something bigger in mind, I can't see it though.

No, capturing those is correct. A single move at G18 is sufficient. If black then captures your two stones, you can continue further wrecking black's upper left with E18. This trade is a disaster for black - black's territory is at least 10 points smaller now, and you've *gained* territory in the process at F19, G19, H19, J19, K19.

Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

I'm not too sure, is there actually anything I could have done in there? I need to improve on that, most of my moves in there was just trying out random stuff, not thinking that anything would work. This doesn't cost me points does it? Only if he ignores right?

Yes, and when black ignored at 229 and broke into your right side, it did cost you a lot of points. Both 226 and 228 are better at S8.

Drewch wrote:
Probably T4 or B4, is there anything bigger?

B4 isn't worth anything, it's already your territory. But T4 is an excellent move. Also, J19 is worth a tiny bit.

Hope this helps. Also, in your quest to reach 9k, don't forget to have fun (I've made this mistake before). It's only worth doing as long as you're enjoying it! :rambo:

Post #14 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:16 pm 
Dies with sente

lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

How about this? :)

I see :) Good point!

lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

Correct, so your move is fine. However, if you want to take a slightly more advanced view...

It turns out that playing away is slightly better. If black spends another move to take the stones, black still isn't threatening anything else, so you can play away a second time! My estimate is that ignoring black's 2 moves costs about 13 points in the upper right. But as a rule of thumb, playing big opening-like moves in a wide area of the board is worth easily 10 points per move. Since you traded 2 big moves elsewhere for black's 2 moves taking your stones, you this puts you perhaps 20-13 = 7 points ahead.

The important thing is that it's just a "dead-weight" 4 stone group at stake here. The capture doesn't harm your main group's safety, it doesn't threaten to cut or break into anything else, black's group is already alive so the capture doesn't strengthen it, it doesn't affect either player's outside influence, etc. If any of those things were significantly affected, it would be worth much more and then it would likely be worth protecting.

This is amazing advice...wow. Never thought about things in that way! Awsome.
lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

M2 is okay. But actually, I was thinking J4 or J6. Connecting here is much more important than saving the stone at K1. Notice that when black let you cut there, you eventually (after a few more errors by black) captured the entire group.

Agreed :)
lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

Your move is good, you are right that you do need to respond. But it's still a good habit to ask yourself this question frequently. If you have a sharp eye, you may find your opponents surprisingly often playing moves that don't actually threaten anything (77,81) or that don't threaten enough for you to care (47, 79).

Again, something I never thought about, will incorporate into my game!

lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

No, capturing at A12 would be a waste of a move. You should only do it if black connects at A10.
The best move in this type of shape is to just extend at B4. Black's whole group is dead that way.

lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

No, capturing those is correct. A single move at G18 is sufficient. If black then captures your two stones, you can continue further wrecking black's upper left with E18. This trade is a disaster for black - black's territory is at least 10 points smaller now, and you've *gained* territory in the process at F19, G19, H19, J19, K19.

Again, stuff I would have never thought about, much appreciated! I completely agree

lightvector wrote:
Drewch wrote:
lightvector wrote:

Yes, and when black ignored at 229 and broke into your right side, it did cost you a lot of points. Both 226 and 228 are better at S8.

Yes, I shouldn't have missed this point :(

Thanks so much, this is an AMAZING post, I've been reading it for quite some time to absorb it. Now I know what Bill Spight was talking about in post #2 when he said I will have to change the way I think.

I definitely am starting to see that already. I will try to get a few games in tomorrow.

Thanks a lot guys.

Post #15 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 0
Hey mate definitely believe you can make your goal. I just hit 9kyu today and was about 16kyu 2 months ago :) .
I dont agree that you should be playing against people much higher rated (unless its a teaching game). Although the occasional game against someone higher than 9 kyu would be fine its probably better at each step to play people slightly higher rated, that way when you try out new things you can see how effective they are. You also wont get frustrated and constantly losing.

I think that doing go problems, playing a lot and experimenting with new ideas in your games (probably the most important) should help you improve.
Hopefully in 60 days you will have that weird experience of looking back on your games from now and not understanding what you were thinking.
Best of luck

Post #16 Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 pm 
Oza

shmit wrote:
I dont agree that you should be playing against people much higher rated (unless its a teaching game). Although the occasional game against someone higher than 9 kyu would be fine its probably better at each step to play people slightly higher rated, that way when you try out new things you can see how effective they are. You also wont get frustrated and constantly losing.

I respectfully disagree, I think I've learned more about what mistakes are in my play from playing substantially higher rated players than playing against people close to my own rank. I don't get away with weaker moves so much and I learn a lot about good shape and big moves just by watching how they beat me and studying what point the game turned. I've never found constantly losing to much stronger players frustrating though. Getting absolutely crushed by an EGF 4k at the club on 9 stones made me re-evaluate my entire approach to handicap go for instance and go in general. Having stronger players resurrect a "lost" game by a series of big moves has taught me a lot about timing, efficiency and the need for whole board thinking. I think I learned more from a single 9x9 game where I lost to a 2k because of one local move too many by me, than from a dozen games against people my own rank where I get away with not making the biggest move.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Hey guys, I've played 2 games since Sunday, and a bunch of go problems. I beat a 13k with a 2 handicap as a 16k, so that bumped me to 15k.

You guys said I should post the game in Game Reviews instead of here, or should I post here as well? Anyways, here is a link to the game in Game Reviews: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5814

Feel free to let me know if you think there's some improvements I made, or can keep making.

Thanks!

Post #18 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:16 pm 
Dies with sente

Hey all, played another game vs a 12k, again, I lowered the handicap by 1. I won the game and got 14k ranking. The game went really well I think. I definitely got a lot more center moyo early game then I usually get. Here it is in case anyone wants to comment. Your comments are really helping me with my goal!

Thanks!

Post #19 Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:29 pm 
Judan

Post #20 Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:29 am 
Dies with sente

Thanks Joaz, love the comments! I really do need to stop thinking about individual situations and moves that I know work, and start thinking whole board. In some situations, you've pointed out that I've given away a lot of potential points. When I flip back between your move and my move in those comments, the board looks worldly different. It's amazing how one move made with the whole board mindset can completely change the look of the game.

Thanks again!

Round 2 of KGS tournament today :) ... unrated games unfortunately, but fun none the less. And it's against much stronger players usually.