All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not really a journal....
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 23
KGS: DrBobC
Tygem: 35kyu
I've been playing this game for about two years now. I started when I was 16, played for a few months and then took a 35 year break. The break didn't help the game.

An interesting two years. I spent one year playing almost exclusively on OGS. During that time I racked up over 500 games. Nearly all of them against players far stronger than me. Did it help? Not sure really.. On these forums turn based games are sometime described as blitz in slow motion. I tend to agree.

Outside study. I must admit I find the books hard work. I recently brought Kageyama but it's really only for light entertainment when I haven't got access to a PC. I've worked my way through a good proportion of Chou's problems (half way through second book) and used gogrinder with the download from goproblems.com. The problems I did in bursts lasting one or two months (typically five a day) and supplemented those with the problems on weiqiok.com.

The most enjoyable and effective study aids are "Bats lectures on GO" on youtube. These are enjoyable to watch, Bat has an easygoing style of presentation and and are truly fantastic..

I play Fuego a little - but not much and try to play very aggressively and get into tight battles. I've long since given up on AYabot. On KGS I played Ayabot (3k) once or twice and won BUT I think that's because I'm used to it.

When I play I prefer Tygem - the cross section of abilities is quite interesting. KGS I like the software but I just don't play there...

The biggest benefit remains weekly and at this time of year daily games with the Chinese 3 dan. Who is very patient. I give him a couple of stones and if he isn't concentrating I can squeeze a win every ten games or so... Again this I believe is because I'm getting used to his game.

The interesting thing is my preference for playing live. I spent £150 on stones and a board which I though would hardly be used. It's almost worn out..... :(

The game is one thing but certainly it's providing me with an insight into Chinese culture which I would never have won any other way.. Oddly, I end up having to translate Chinese to Japanese occasionally ( I don't know either language).

The University Go club I set up has closed for summer but was pretty active for the first two terms. The new year will see new recruits..

Rank wise - I'm pretty confident I'm a SDK or there abouts...

Interesting game... considering it only took me a couple of years to get to junior county level at chess and a year to be a winning player at poker I'm starting to realise how cr*p I actually am at this game...

Next update.. probably in about a year...