It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: the willow way
Post #81 Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:50 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
tentano wrote:
Obviously, the solution is for everyone who's stuck mid-SDK to come up to 5d. Then we can talk about the interesting stuff.

I'm working on it, give it a year or two...

There's plenty of interesting stuff to discuss at that level, and at weaker levels too. I just mean that it already tends to get brought up relatively frequently, whereas some more subtle distinctions don't get discussed as much.

Post #82 Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
I just can't even see if anyone might have been wrong in this discussion. I simply don't have the ability to judge that.

The sheer depth of this game still has an almost magical quality for me.

I really want to be able to understand more, and then share it down to whoever doesn't get it yet in neat bite-sized lumps which are easy to digest. I realize I already do this, but I want to do it from a higher perch, so I can help people up a little higher than I can now.

More than that, though, I want to be able to add to what is commonly understood, not just by repeating what others said, but by propagating things which I know, but which nobody else is talking about. All too often I feel like an interactive FAQ, passing on what was passed on to me. This is far from worthless, but it just doesn't satisfy my ambition.

Post #83 Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:40 pm 
Oza

tentano wrote:
I just can't even see if anyone might have been wrong in this discussion. I simply don't have the ability to judge that.

The sheer depth of this game still has an almost magical quality for me.

I really want to be able to understand more, and then share it down to whoever doesn't get it yet in neat bite-sized lumps which are easy to digest. I realize I already do this, but I want to do it from a higher perch, so I can help people up a little higher than I can now.

More than that, though, I want to be able to add to what is commonly understood, not just by repeating what others said, but by propagating things which I know, but which nobody else is talking about. All too often I feel like an interactive FAQ, passing on what was passed on to me. This is far from worthless, but it just doesn't satisfy my ambition.

I'm not entirely sure if you're referring to the specific game being discussed, or go in general.

At least as far as specific games go, post them. Ask questions: At point X, I wasn't sure if this move was right or not, is it? In any game, there are numerous points where the action takes a bit of a pause, and it's time to re-evaluate the board. These are also good points for discussion.

In general, though, I recommend teaching what you know, and being honest about what you don't know, or are unsure of. I think, as one gets stronger, proscriptions become much more qualified. At first it's do X or don't do Y, but it's more nuanced, and carrying that nuance over is difficult. Every situation is to some degree unique. Above, for example, you can see the 2 vs 3 space high pincer is somewhat relevant, even though they seems fairly similar at a first glance. I firmly believe that everyone has an obligation to pass on the knowledge they have received, to attempt to bring others up to their level, just as they were brought up to theirs and continue to be taught through the aid of others. I think, apart from the FAQ-type answers you've mentioned, there is a huge scope for passing on your judgement of situations, which will continue to improve as you get stronger. I remember not that long ago looking at the simplest of joseki that I learned when I was 20 kyu and realizing that I knew nothing about it, because there are all sorts of aji in the position, and complex variations that are hidden beneath the surface, some viable and some not depending on the circumstances and the whim of the players.

In some sense, unless you are playing at the highest level, people will not consider your innovations too closely, as they haven't really been tested against the best. Regardless, the spirit of experimentation and innovation is vital to keep your go dynamic, alive, and growing. Getting games with that spirit commented is also important, so you can see what others think of how you handled a position, and if there is a clear refutation or not. More than anything, your is not a textbook lookup, it's an expression of your will, desire, and state of mind. Just relax, play what seems fun, and make it up as you go. Then you can BS about the game after, which is just as fun.

Post #84 Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:18 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
Well, I'm talking about go in general I suppose. It just shows up in this particular discussion, too.

I'm pretty sure that unless I play at a very high level, I can't innovate. There's too much I cannot consider, which will most likely invalidate anything unusual I come up with.

Just like with science, you can't push out the boundaries unless you're educated up to those boundaries.

Post #85 Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:07 pm 
Oza

As a followup to my earlier post about declaring myself shodan (http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179709#p179709) I entered the NOVA Chinese New Year tournament this weekend at that rank. I went 2-2 and won 2nd in my band on tiebreaks, out of 5 or so 1-dan participants. As a result, I feel somewhat vindicated in pushing myself.

I'm including a couple of the games as far as I remember them clearly below.

This first game was a horrible loss. The person I played was an older chinese man who didn't speak English and entered at 1 dan in his first tournament. I suspect he was stronger than this and may have based his ranks on a rank in China, as he seemed to cruise to victory in the section 4-0. I remember throughout the game that his shape seemed awkward at times, but I never felt I could mount an effective attack against any of his stones.

This second game I feel I won through a bit of a swindle, as I started a ko in the lower right for that group once it was cut off, but had I won the ko, I'm not sure I could have made life for the group. so I was lucky when my opponent ignored a large threat to kill about 20 points worth of stones in the center in order to finish the ko.

My other two games, in the first game, I took all four corners after playing the mini-chinese as black, and had a solid moyo covering a quarter of the board, but threw away the game when instead of consolidating it, I traded and didn't get nearly enough in the trade. The third game was a 3-stone handicap game against a 3-kyu, where I split black into many small groups early on, killed one, and then sacrificed a weak group in a corner to take a gigantic central moyo. The game was decided when my opponent tried to reduce it and went in a bit too deep, so I killed most of the reducing stones and won a semeai to keep them dead later by one liberty.

I do feel, though, that my games were not high quality games. In a sense, I wasn't playing up to myself. I was making mistakes by being too lazy to read, or to count, for example, and almost got bitten by it several times. I suppose that this means I still have room for improvement, though.

Attachments:
novaCNY2015game2.sgf [932 Bytes]
Downloaded 861 times
nova-CNY2015game4.sgf [974 Bytes]
Downloaded 858 times

Post #86 Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Hi, I'm a little weaker than you, but I have a few questions:

w12 , w14, is R5 worse/too aggressive?

w22 , a little low?

w28 , is C10 possible?

w40 , J14 is instictive for me.

w42 , instinct also says "no", maybe if K15 instead, white can use a ladder to reduce the right side.

w46 , w48 does it help black?

w48 , L3 instinct

b49 , now black can use the aji.

w56 , other way?

w60 , seems like aji-keshi. H5 is instinctive.

w66 , E10?

w70 , Q12 instinctive move.

I'm not sure if you ever fattened the meat in thr first place, so could never attack. Meanwhile, black was allowed to, like on w70.

Post #87 Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 am 
Oza

I assume these are for the first game in order.
Elom wrote:
Hi, I'm a little weaker than you, but I have a few questions:

w12 , w14, is R5 worse/too aggressive?

Black can just take the 3-3 point and leave white looking a bit silly.

Quote:
w22 , a little low?

Yeah, the suggestion I received was to stand up at P16 and then one space jump to N16 when black responds.

Quote:
w28 , is C10 possible?

If I were to play on the left, I would have wanted to respond with the keima instead of the one-space jump originally, I think. On the left, if I were to play around there, it would be better to pincer more tightly as well. It's maybe a bit dubious because of black's strength in the lower left, though?

Quote:
w40 , J14 is instictive for me.

I was trying to fix the cutting aji in sente, but wasn't entirely satisfied with my move either. Discussing the game afterwards, another player suggested leaning with D12 as the initial invasion response. My thrust was to make black heavy, but I'm not sure it was good. J14 makes me concerned that black will build side strength by getting those two stones running, and I didn't want to make them heavy.

Quote:
w42 , instinct also says "no", maybe if K15 instead, white can use a ladder to reduce the right side.

K15? I don't see white's position as any better after black K14. The right side is already low down there, and white still has the shoulder hit to keep it low.

Quote:
w46 , w48 does it help black?

I read the cut at J18 as white's privelege, as it gets really complicated if black tries to block and white recuts.

Quote:
w48 , L3 instinct

What does white do after black breaks his shape? This seems to help black to break out or live on the side. If I were to play otherwise, maybe cutting.

Quote:
b49 , now black can use the aji.

In retrospect, I think for :w52, maybe extending to the right instead, the start of a bamboo joint.

Quote:
w56 , other way?

Which other way? This is also a threat to connect under.

Quote:
w60 , seems like aji-keshi. H5 is instinctive.

Isn't this strengthening the group you want to attack? There's also still aji with the stones around M4 that I don't want to activate.

Quote:
w66 , E10?

I'm not sure. It's clear that white's in a poor position by this point.

Quote:
w70 , Q12 instinctive move.

Yeah, probably better. I thought :w70 would be sente at the time.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you ever fattened the meat in thr first place, so could never attack. Meanwhile, black was allowed to, like on w70.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fattened the meat"?

Post #88 Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:22 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Thanks for answering my questioms! I'm afraid that at the time of writimg, had been in a small hurry, so some of the questions weren't clear.

I just added them to the sgf (only a few notes)

ps: There is a chinese proverb that says "Fatten the animal before the slaughter".
In other words, make groups heavy before attacking. I just thought that you might have found it hard to attack because black groups were unasdailable, and that could have been because white missed chances to maje black heavy. Just brainstorming with no idea :)

Post #89 Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 am 
Oza

This is a recent game I played on DGS where I should have lost after a few slow late-endgame moves, and ended up lucking out by turning a corner into seki. It was quite close otherwise, so I'm including it below. I've added some comments of my own, but would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Attachments:
skydyr recent dgs game.sgf [3.97 KiB]
Downloaded 831 times

Post #90 Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:06 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Just a few quick comments:

- I'm not sure g15 was good, how about o4?
- Don't like s9 as it makes black stronger. In the normal Chinese when this happens black already has q14 so there was not so much chance to come in the right side so you don't mind making that area stronger, not you do. o5 instead?
- p7 needed?
- k16 was poor, if o17 harder for white.
- s16 wrong order, r14 could o18 turn and white will have to live in gote (yeah you have clamp but that's small).
- c11 kick?
- e5 soft
- d9????? maybe reduce now, or f16.
- b8 can he tenuki?

This post by Uberdude was liked by: skydyr

Post #91 Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:48 am 
Oza

Uberdude wrote:
Just a few quick comments:

- I'm not sure g15 was good, how about o4?
- Don't like s9 as it makes black stronger. In the normal Chinese when this happens black already has q14 so there was not so much chance to come in the right side so you don't mind making that area stronger, not you do. o5 instead?
- p7 needed?
- k16 was poor, if o17 harder for white.
- s16 wrong order, r14 could o18 turn and white will have to live in gote (yeah you have clamp but that's small).
- c11 kick?
- e5 soft
- d9????? maybe reduce now, or f16.
- b8 can he tenuki?

For G15, I was concerned about black moving the stone, but it does seem small in comparison.

How would you follow up with O5, assuming black responds? I took P7 later because I didn't want black to build too much strength in sente, but I'm not sure.

Regarding C11, I thought after the kick that black E11 would be annoying, and there would be more aji for the other black stone also. I'm very uncertain about the position, though, as it spirals into many many variations.

What do you recommend instead of E5? Inside shoulder hit? B7? I agree he can tenuki b8 instead and I probably should have reduced directly.

Post #92 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:12 pm 
Oza

I feel like my go has been very uninspired lately. Lots of passive moves, or blunders I should have seen didn't work with a bit more reading, and a general sense that I lack a plan and the killer instinct.

I'm attaching a couple games for commentary. I've looked over them, but mostly I just see a few places where I played passively, or didn't read very much, and lacking spirit in endgame. I don't get a strong sense of any particular thing that's wrong with my play in general. In the one game, I feel I killed myself with the double hane that was too much, and in the other, with a few passive moves in the lower left that let black live easily without much compensation. Advice, please?

Attachments:
skydyr-Ilikego-994589-20150911.sgf [2.01 KiB]
Downloaded 986 times
drToma-skydyr-1007381-20150910.sgf [1.98 KiB]
Downloaded 931 times

Post #93 Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:43 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A few comments on the first game. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: skydyr

Post #94 Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:45 am 
Oza

I like your sequence at :w30:, and agree that I felt I was ahead as white around :w50:.

Could you elaborate a bit on the situation in the upper right at :w16: and :w20:? I'm not sure how you would expect black to play against it or white to follow up?

Post #95 Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
skydyr wrote:
Could you elaborate a bit on the situation in the upper right at :w16: and :w20:? I'm not sure how you would expect black to play against it or white to follow up?

After the two space jump at :w16: I expect the one space jump to Q-14. That makes both peeps against the two space jump good, so I am afraid that I would then make the side attachment at L-16. Upon reflection, maybe that is better than the jump. True, it strengthens the Black pincer stone, but White is strong in the top left, and it prepares a double approach in the top right.

After the boshi at :w20:, if Black plays keima towards the top the side attachment is usual. I expect White to make a base on the right side. If, as I expect, Black plays keima towards the bottom, the pincer at :w22: is the key point for the attack, I think. The future is murky, however.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #96 Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:12 am 
Oza

Here's a game I won recently, where I felt my opponent resigned early. I think I would have at least waited it out longer.

Attachments:
skydyr-20151220.sgf [2 KiB]
Downloaded 816 times

Post #97 Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
skydyr wrote:
Here's a game I won recently, where I felt my opponent resigned early. I think I would have at least waited it out longer.

At :w94:, when White goes for it, White has five groups none of which has a decent shape. So probably they have to try something: Black has an advantage.

Normally :b95: goes at Q7 to cut, I think. Don't get shut in.

The point I really wanted to make is that :b97: is the wasteful way. Play at S18 instead. White can't capture without getting cut. This technical point comes up all the time (123 principle in action).

White gets discouraged, answers everything. Fair enough.

Going back: :w32: needs to be one to the right to get some momentum. :w34: should be P5. :w42: is all sorts of bad shape.

For :b45: I would try H8 to induce E10 and then extend along the side. :b51: ends up playing on a small scale.

:w70: is just helpful to Black. Clearly White should deal with upper side as priority. :b73: is an overplay: P17 is fine here. :b79: goes at L16, but :w80: is all wrong. As White I'd be thinking F11, G13 and then M18 to get back in the game. :b89: should be one to the left, but now Black should win.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by: skydyr

Post #98 Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:55 am 
Oza

I'm including another game in which I ended up pulling ahead of my opponent at the end, but got off to a terrible start and had a somewhat tense midgame. Some annotations are included.

I suppose my main question is what should I have done instead in the upper left, and whether the general game strategy was sound or just something that worked due to my opponent's mistakes.

Attachments:
skydyr-feb1.sgf [4.63 KiB]
Downloaded 721 times

Post #99 Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:27 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
At 22 you wrote, "The upper left did not work out as planned, and I felt black was behind at this point."

So, what was your plan? Why did you pick 7, 11, and 17? What did you expect?

Post #100 Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:58 pm 
Oza

I wanted to have some vague sort of playable shape on the left while concentrating on the top with :b7:. :b11: was looking to concentrate on the top, and :b17: so I didn't get sealed into the corner. I considered pushing white along with ataris but decided it was bad play, and also atariing the two stones from the other side, but that seemed to keep me stuck in the corner too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next