All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Uberdude's Go holiday journal
Post #81 Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Patrick Pitters from Germany who currently is at the same place as you are also posted some photos and his report in the German DGoB forum: Patrick @ BIBA2013

Post #82 Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:05 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 5
I really enjoy your stories and photos. Thank you very much!

Post #83 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:26 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Hi again folks!

Apologies for falling off the internet and not updating my journal, but there is a wonderful reason for it: I fell in love with Sai so spending time with her became a higher priority than updating this blog :D . I cancelled my trip to Japan to stay with her in Korea; here we are visiting Namdaemun market in Seoul.

Attachment:
P1000437.jpg
P1000437.jpg [ 104.01 KiB | Viewed 10115 times ]

As planned I went to the EGC in Poland. I did ok with 6 wins out of 10 in the main tournament to come 38th (and top Brit ahead of Andrew Kay on 5/10 in 58th, see http://egc2013.go.art.pl/EGC2013_main.html) but was a bit disappointed to not beat any 4+ dans until my final game mainly due to being silly in byo yomi (e.g. my first game I had a comfy 20 point lead against Natalia Kovaleva 5d (European Women's Champion) but blundered it away). Then instead of going to the Polish Go Summer Camp I came to Thailand to be with Sai.

If I have time and people are still interested in long-delayed photos/stories/sgfs I may add more stuff later.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 9 people: Bonobo, Chew Terr, ez4u, gamesorry, karaklis, Ortho, Prodigious, thirdfogie, topazg

Post #84 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
I'd take true love over a successful go tournament any day. Congrats, überdude!

Post #85 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
I saw your relationship update on FB and so I’d already assumed you wouldn’t update this journal :D

This is so nice, enjoy the time you have on this planet!

Greetings,
Tom in Germany

This post by Bonobo was liked by: karaklis

Post #86 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 137
Was liked: 68
KGS: Unusedname
Congrats dude.

I came for the Go Learning experience, I stayed for the settlers, fried food, and the love story.

This post by Unusedname was liked by: Bonobo

Post #87 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:22 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
I sort-of expected that, but oh boy - this is refreshing to hear!!!
Love trumps Go any time, and I almost envy you guys!!
In any case - all the best, and congrats!

You make the best choices in life when you follow your heart, dude! My hat off to you, you guys rock!

This post by Bantari was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, karaklis

Post #88 Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:56 pm 
Judan

Here are my games from the EGC. I only played in the main tournament, not the weekend or rapid as there is such a thing as too much Go, and I like to watch the top boards at the weekend and prefer slow games (in fact some of my main tournament games lasted so long they overran with the rapid so my opponent couldn't play in the rapid; the rapid isn't actually that fast with 40 mins main time).

Round 1: Lost to Natalia Kovaleva 5d from Russia. I felt leading when I successfully tenukid to play k5 because my group was alive, and the middlegame went nicely from then on. Move 159 was my first move of byo-yomi and the first step to losing a won game. My original plan was the thick turn at m12 which gives an easy win, but as often happens in byo yomi I turned into an idiot and changed my mind (I wasn't even under time pressure, only spent around 15 seconds of the 1 minutes overtime period), trying to get some sente exchange first to get more time to think when I already knew m12 was the best move and enough for a simple win. o12 should of course be m7, and I knew this at the time but decided to be stupid. Losing h12 was the final nail in my coffin. An annoying loss. Got a review from Blackie; he said I played well until byo yomi. I wondered if o10 should have been connection, he said both ok. But I should have played o14 earlier for an easy win, e.g. instead of e10 which was me trying too hard to keep the white centre group eyeless.

Round 2: Beat Cezary Czernecki 3d of Poland. The opening was the same as the game we played at LSG last year. I made a big mistake in the centre and lost a bunch of stones, but managed to win anyway by living in the top side and then squeezing using the dead stones to make a big lower right corner. p8 was interesting as for his previous move he was going to take a liberty but then changed his mind to descend. I reckoned he wanted to play the t8 as a double sente yose so didn't play there myself as a "mistake" for him to punish as by doing so I got stronger on the outside and was sure I could kill the 3-3 invasion of the lower right corner, and if that was the case I had enough points to win.

Round 3: Lost to Normain Tsai 7d of USA. This was a nice game and didn't mind losing so much as we both played fairly well for our level, just he played a bit better. My main mistakes were letting his centre reduction group catch the 2 stones and not reducing his top left. As I was behind I should have tried to kill his lower left. Got a review from Mitani Tetsuya 7p.

Attachments:
EGC round 3 Andrew Simons_vs_Norman Tsai.sgf [2.14 KiB]
Downloaded 1419 times
2013.07.29 Cezary Czernecki_vs_Andrew Simons.sgf [1.88 KiB]
Downloaded 1417 times
2013.07.28 Andrew Simons_vs_Natalia Kovaleva.sgf [1.97 KiB]
Downloaded 1414 times

Post #89 Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:07 pm 
Judan

Round 4: beat He Yuewen 3d of China. I got myself into difficult fighting early on but then worked my way back into the game and had a big lead once he didn't defend his group on the left side (though I could have killed it unconditionally instead of ko which was a bit embarrassing). Interestingly Blackie said that n17 should be p7, I thought n15 for n17 was a bad exchange (losing m17 option) as the moyo wasn't so amazing, but with p7 I avoid a weak group and can also make my own moyo on lower side.

Round 5: lost to Koichiro Habu 4d of Poland. I felt uncomfortable going for such a centre moyo strategy, but was happy when he came in rather too deep (IMO) and made an ugly but powerful cut by pushing through a keima (strong move said Ohashi Hirofumi 6p, white should have one point jump). I made a big (50pts) mistake in not ending the game by killing his group inside my moyo with o8 at n8. I didn't take a lunch break and this game started at 10 am and ended around 3:45 pm and my play really deteriorated through hunger/tiredness/headache so I resolved to take a lunch break in my future games. Probably that would have helped against Natalia as well.

Round 6: beat Jerome Bourgeois 2d of France. Making centre territory with large knight's moves was the theme of this game. He just played a bit slackly in allowing my big centre (bad gote joseki choice in lower right, missed key point at p12) though I was also slack once ahead in not playing the d11 shoulder hit. The first game I didn't use byo yomi.

Attachments:
2013.08.05Jerome Bourgois_vs_Andrew Simons.sgf [1.26 KiB]
Downloaded 1345 times
EGC round 5 Andrew Simons_vs_Habu Koichiro.sgf [2.74 KiB]
Downloaded 1380 times
2013.08.01 He Yuewen_vs_Andrew Simons.sgf [1.95 KiB]
Downloaded 1368 times

Post #90 Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:22 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Uberdude wrote:
I didn't take a lunch break and this game started at 10 am and ended around 3:45 pm and my play really deteriorated through hunger/tiredness/headache so I resolved to take a lunch break in my future games.

The question of food and drink during tournament play is not an easy one, and everybody is different. Lunch in particular is difficult, because there is seldom time to digest it before play. Bridge great Barry Crane always skipped it, and recommended (demanded) that his partners do so, too. I guess it made him sleepy. ;) I did not have that problem, but, let's face it, the brain runs on glucose. If you can eat healthy so that your glucose level remains fairly constant, great! At bridge tournaments I used to nurse a sugary soft drink, sipping it from time to time. One 16 oz. bottle was fine for several hours of play. :) OC, it did not stay cold, but . . . . ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #91 Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:26 pm 
Judan

Round 7: beat Barbara Knauf 3d of Germany. Rather to the surprise of Su Yang 6d (aka JeffChang) who was watching my game and reviewed it after, I went for moyo rather than territory as used to by my style when he taught me in China 6 years ago. I had a very good position after c10 but screwed it up soon after with a massive blunder. k8 atari was driven by fighting spirit and was ok, though connect also good, probably better, but g9 was stupid: in my reading I thought e5 was atari on the f5 stones but they had 2 liberties! But I managed to win anyway; Jeff said the loss from that blunder wasn't actually so huge (maybe 10 pts) as the k8 atari was already very valuable. Once I got r17 I had enough, she had to try something on the top side or else in the lower side.

Round 8: lost to Denis Karadaban 4d of France. This half point loss was a rather annoying end to a long (overran into the rapid) game which I was leading most of the time. I played better in the lower left fighting and built up my moyo on the right. I should have played more simply in the upper right as allowing him to cut in sente gave him chances but even though I lost a lot of points to win the ko I was ahead as the ko gave me a lot of points on the top side. But the final losing move was the too-much-fighting-spirit-not-enough-counting descent at t7. (Actually as it was a half pointer maybe a later small endgame mistake was the final losing move, but t7 was a big one).

Attachments:
2013.08.08 Denis Karadaban_vs_Andrew Simons.sgf [2.56 KiB]
Downloaded 1409 times
2013.08.06 Andrew Simons_vs_Barbara Knauf.sgf [1.42 KiB]
Downloaded 1384 times

Post #92 Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:39 pm 
Judan

Round 9: beat Pekka Lajunen 3d of Finland. Lots of fighting in this game with many ups and downs, but I won because I finally found someone who plays even worse than me in byo-yomi. (I really screwed up that upper right fighting when I traded corner for uber-thickness but he could live in corner anyway.

Round 10: beat Wai Yi Chung 4d of China. Finally my first win against a 4d+, and a fairly strong one at that as she had beaten Benjamin Teuber 6d and Alexei Lazarev 6d earlier.

Attachments:
2013.08.10 Andrew Simons_vs_Wai Yi Chung.sgf [1.99 KiB]
Downloaded 1420 times
2013.08.09 Pekka Lajunen_vs_Andrew Simons.sgf [1.29 KiB]
Downloaded 1361 times

Post #93 Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:47 pm 
Judan

Bill Spight wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
I didn't take a lunch break and this game started at 10 am and ended around 3:45 pm and my play really deteriorated through hunger/tiredness/headache so I resolved to take a lunch break in my future games.

The question of food and drink during tournament play is not an easy one, and everybody is different. Lunch in particular is difficult, because there is seldom time to digest it before play. Bridge great Barry Crane always skipped it, and recommended (demanded) that his partners do so, too. I guess it made him sleepy. ;) I did not have that problem, but, let's face it, the brain runs on glucose. If you can eat healthy so that your glucose level remains fairly constant, great! At bridge tournaments I used to nurse a sugary soft drink, sipping it from time to time. One 16 oz. bottle was fine for several hours of play. :) OC, it did not stay cold, but . . . . ;)

Yeah, usually I don't like to eat before playing: in 1 day 3 round tournaments I am often drowsy and play badly in the 2nd game right after lunch. Also it can take some time to get back in the zone after a break and you might forget some things that were going on, sequences you had read, aji to bear in mind etc. But that 5th game changed my mind as I really couldn't concentrate with the pounding hunger headache. I do sometimes eat biscuits and drink fruit juice when playing which helps keep the blood sugar level up, I think that game I wasn't.

Post #94 Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:14 pm 
Judan

Last weekend I played in a tournament here in Thailand. There were 7 games over 2 days, one hour absolute time each. There were several hundred players in total, nearly all children or young adults (very few over 30), with about 90 players in the dan division. Go has had a big boost in Thailand over the last decade or so with lots of teaching in schools. One of the sponsors was IQ Up, an organisation that teaches go to kids and promotes the mental improvements it can give. I get the impression a lot of the success of Go in Thailand is down to Mr Korsak Chairasmisak, the CEO of CP All (which runs the 7 eleven convenience stores ubiquitous throughout Thailand, part of CP group the boss of which is South East Asia's richest man with some ten billion dollars) and 5 dan Go player. CP All puts a lot of money into Thai Go. Being a dan player helps you get a job with them, and you get a bonus for ranking up! Most weekday evenings Mr Korsak can be found playing Shi Jin Bo 3p (who he sponsored to come to Thailand) at the Thai Go Club in Bangkok.

Attachment:
P1000819.jpg
P1000819.jpg [ 117.25 KiB | Viewed 9743 times ]

Here's Mr Korsak Chairasmisak playing some other guy (4d?) with Shi Jin Bo watching at the Thai Go Club in central Bangkok.

Back in Britain we often wonder about how to make Go more popular. The answer from Thailand seems to be have one of the country's top businessmen be a Go fan so he pumps loads of money into it, with the focus on children and big up the educational benefits of it (even if not scientifically proven) so the parents think it makes their kids smarter.

Anyway, back to the tournament. There was 100,000 baht ($3000) of prize money up for grabs what with the sponsorship by CP All, Truevisions (TV company), the Mall whose convention centre we were playing in. The opening ceremony (which rather annoyingly started mid-way through the first game so the bigwigs didn't need to get there so early) featured some Go-themed dancing.

Attachment:
P1000900.jpg
P1000900.jpg [ 115 KiB | Viewed 9743 times ]

For the first round I played on the top board against Sang Hono, a Japanese 6 or 7 dan. I was winning but lost in the end as, unsurprisingly, I played slowly to start so rushed and played worse at the end. Sai said her ex-teacher Xie Fui (a Chinese 6d) and some other were impressed with my play :) .

To be continued...

Post #95 Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:37 am 
Judan

Uberdude wrote:
After that I'll be playing in the British Championship title match against my friend and rival Andrew Kay (he's also going to Poland and then the WAGC in Japan after that). He's currently a bit stronger than me (though I did beat him last weekend at the tournament to decide players for the title match) so winning that would be a nice way to top off the summer and measure the success of my study (though I am going primarily to have fun rather than work really hard to get stronger).

Time for a final update. In case you didn't see the news in the AGA eJournal, I lost the title match against Andrew Kay 2-0. The first game was a poor quality hack-fest after I got disheartened from a mistake in the first opening fight; but the second game was much better, though I lost on time having just made a mistake in a good position.

Here are the games in all their KGS-kibitz glory:

Alexander Dinerstein 3p commented the first game, you can see his demo with variations and kibitz here but without his audio commentary.

And a youtube video of his commentary on the opening: http://youtu.be/W3kBVsW4g1s

Guo Juan 5p commented the second game and made a free audio lecture on here website about it here:
http://internetgoschool.com/lecture.vhtml?ls_id=950
And her demo from kgs with variations and kibitz but without her audio.

Some blurb I wrote about the games:
For game 1 I resigned because I played a time tesuji that was too small and died, but even if I lived I lost a few stones and was quite a bit behind. The important stuff came earlier. I would summarise (or maybe detail!) the game as follows. I played the 5-3 point because I wanted to make the "Gu Li" variation of the orthodox opening that we had studied with Guo Juan at the strong player training weekend 1 week earlier as a present to Tim who was hosting. Unsurprisingly Andrew Kay answered my approach at the top left (r14 in the record due to being recorded from Tim's perspective) with his favourite 2 space high pincer instead of keima so we didn't get that opening. The fighting started when he didn't answer r9 (there is no particularly good answer) but took the corner at r3 so I tried to split his wall from his pincer stone (Dinerstein's commentary said my q13 was correct for this). He played aggressively and I made a big mistake with p13, which I knew was a bad move but was too lazy to look for a better move (such as p14). Thus he ko-connected his groups and I didn't get enough compensation for losing the corner. He even took sente for a big point instead of defending. I felt annoyed and like I had already lost and spent the rest of the game half-heartedly playing crap moves resulting in a poor quality game that I am embarrassed will be preserved in history as part of the British Championship title match.

I would say that in terms of abstract Go skill Andrew and I are pretty close now (before this match our ratings were exactly the same at 2368, a weakish European 4 dan). He used to be a fair bit stronger than me but I've improved over the last year or so and his rating has dropped though I don't think he's got much weaker, just had a few bad tournaments (maybe he feels differently?). His reading (which is the most important thing in Go) is better than mine, but conversely I have the edge in some areas of theory and knowledge. He thus prefers to skip standard openings and get straight to middle-game fighting, whereas I prefer a calmer game I can control. But I think this game showed the most important difference between us: he is mentally strong and I am mentally weak. I found it difficult to play well after a mistake (and nervous too perhaps) whereas he keeps on fighting and trying to win. And of course I play too slowly.

In the second game I played an early invasion which Guo said was dubious in her commentary. However, I have heard that Korean professionals like it, and it is also advocated by Go Seigen in his book "A Way of Play for the 21st Century". It resulted in me as white taking a lead on territory and black with some thickness. The result is probably a lead of a few points for white which Korean pros like, but Andrew Kay was quite happy with the result too as he prefers thickness for later fighting and I used a lot of time and am likely to make mistakes worth far more than a few points later under time pressure. I was leading for sure when I got to defend the top right (in record) corner and then he played a somewhat slow defensive move and I got the big point on the left side and he couldn't kill my group or hurt my lower right corner too much. But I had used a lot of time. The fighting on the left side was interesting and resulted in a trade with a ladder breaker. I now had a big lead of points but black had a moyo and a weak group of mine to attack. I managed to live in byoyomi without too much damage and then the life-or-death question of a 3-3 invasion under a 4-4 stone arose. If I lived I would have a comfortable lead, but Andrew killed most of it and I got some yose in exchange. With enough time to play good yose white should have won (I wouldn't say anything as exact as 4 points), but in the end I made another poor move in byoyomi that wasn't really sente in an attempt to get more time to read how best to patch up some weaknesses (was it sente to kill a huge group? the answer in later analysis was yes). Andrew ignored my time tesuji and exploited the weaknesses and I lost on time with one stone to play as I was trying to find a way to salvage my broken position and forgot to keep track of the clock.

So although I didn't get much stronger on my travels or become British Champion, I most certainly did have fun and consider it a great success :D . Here I am with Sai on holiday in the Lake District a few weeks ago:

Attachment:
P1010156.JPG
P1010156.JPG [ 46.71 KiB | Viewed 9538 times ]

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, karaklis

Post #96 Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:36 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Congratulations, Uberdude! I wish you the best. :tmbup:

Post #97 Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 16
Was liked: 1
KGS: Milkman
DGS: Milkman
Universal go server handle: Milkman
Hey Uberdude! I just came across this thread and wanted to say I found it quite interesting. Thanks for sharing, especially the pictures!

Post #98 Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:20 pm 
Judan

An update: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12462

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bonobo