It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ember's Rat Race
Post #41 Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
Here comes the second part of my report on this year's first game of the Kisei title match event in Alcalá de Henares (Spain). If you missed the first part, just check out the last post.

Because there'll be even a few more pictures than last time, I'll seperate my report and put a few lines and the fotos on the pro-event, the amateur event in general and my tournament performance including the sgf files of the games in seperate hide-tags so you won't be bothered with what doesn't interest you. ;-)

Oh, and before I forget it: Do check out this picture gallery of the Kisei's sponsor, the Yomiuri Shimbun Newspaper (which has way better pictures than me anyways ;-) )

The professional's event: The first game of the 38th Japanese Kisei Title Match between Iyama Yuta Kisei and Yamashita Keigo 9p

The title match between Iyama Yuta Kisei and Yamashita Keigo 9p started on saturday morning, 9am. It was played on the first floor of this ancient building, which is part of the luxuary hotel the whole event (the amateur tournament, too) took place. Of course, it was pretty much sealed off and no "mortals" were allowed in apart from when public commentaries were given (in a hall on the ground floor). If you want to see what the playing room looked like, I suggest you take a look at the Yomiuri Shimbun's website by following the link I gave you above. Because, as a mere mortal, I wasn't allowed in, of course, not even before everyone had arrived (although someone was brazen enough to butt in at some point on saturday - but it wasn't me! Promised! :) ).

The game (see below in this hide tag for the SGF file) proceeded pretty quickly on the first day and Iyama Kisei sealed the 62nd move on the late afternoon. On saturday there was a 90-minute session in between the three rounds of the amateur tournament in which Aoba Kaori 4p, Imamura Toshiya 9p and Goto Shungo 9p analyzed the moves played so far so that everyone could understand what was going on. I must say that this was a really enjoyable part of the event because the three of them presented the numerous variations in a very entertaining and interesting way, so time flew by very quickly indeed. Of course, they spoke Japanese, but most thankfully, there were translators around to help out in Spanish (among them Masaru Mikami 6d, honorary president of the Spanish Go Association and one of the main organizers of this event) and English (Catalin Taranu 5p and Ondrej Silt 6d). Thank you very much for your help!

Imamura 9p and Aoba 4p analyze the game while Masaru Mikami 6d and Ondrej Silt translate.

Even though he hides here behind Imamura-sensei, Goto 9p joined the public commentaries after getting some fresh moves from the other room where the professionals around Kobayashi Satoru 9p were analyzing the game among themselves. And I assure you that the room had filled up A LOT more 5 minutes later (this was at the beginning of the first session on day 2). ;-)

Board commentarist Aoba Kaori playing three opponents at once.

Because the two players took so much time to play on the second day (much to the regret of the attending pros who finally wanted to go and have a drink as Goto-sensei put it :lol: ), the available pros played a second round of simultan games (the first round was on saturday evening) to shorten the time a bit. Actually, this was the longest Kisei match in history concerning the time it took to complete the game, so the attending amateurs really got a good value for their money. ;-) Well, ok, at least those who were able to stay until the end. Quite a few had to leave before the game was finished to catch their flights. But who would've thought before that the game would take so long? Lucky us had booked a flight on monday so we could enjoy this fabulous match until the end and....

... could join a pretty large crowd in ambushing the winner of the game, who had to pass through the hotel lobby on the way to his room - which he didn't reach because he had to sign a lot of fans (and papers, and books, and.. more) AGAIN and went directly to dinner instead. And he did so smilingly, even though this must have been a very exhausting day for him with such a long and hard fight behind him. He definitely has my deepest respect for this! The other pros around at that moment were quite amused by this scene. :D (on a sidenote: the challenger, Yamashita 9p, could get past without anyone bothering him and he did his best to vanish quickly for a few minutes before coming back and going to dinner, too)

There even was a group foto because so many players wanted to take their probably last opportunity to take a picture with Iyama-sensei. :lol:

This was also the end of the event for me / us. Next day we left early to catch our flight, but still intoxicated by the whole experience. Many, many thanks go to all the organizers of the Nam-Ban Go Club of Madrid, the Spanish Go Association and everyone else involved in organizing this wonderful event! Hopefully, this was not the last event of this kind we will be able to experience in Europe. I even have some hopes that we won't have to wait too long, too, I already read something about Vienna 2016... If it will come true, we'll be there for sure!

To complete my report on this event, I'll post the great game the two players presented us with. Enjoy!

The amateur's event: The Kisei Open Side Tournament

Hm.. what else happened apart from all that Go professional activity around Alcalá de Henares on this very special weekend? Of course, even more Go amateur activity! :D The organizers of the Kisei event had set up an Open Tournament for the "European Kisei" and around 130 players from more than twelve countries participated in it.

Here is the hall the amateur tournament took place. It is still pretty empty. However...

...with about 130 players, it filled up very nicely (and I very much doubt that more than another 15-20 people could have fit in there, maybe even less). The crowd is ready to rumble!

(from left to right: Tanemura 2p (?), Goto 9p, Masaru Mikami 6d, Imamura 9p (who was, together with Goto 9p the referee of the amateur tournament) and the tournament director, whose name I unfortunately do not remember.. :oops: (if someone knows it, I'd like to add it!)
The tournament had four rounds, of which three were played on saturday and the last one on sunday. The thinking time of 40 minutes and 2x 30 seconds byoyomi surely got the stronger players (there were many, many top European players attending, among them pros like Li Ting, Catalin Taranu and Alexandre Dinerchtein) in the competition sweating. The best five players of the tournament as well as the five best women and youth players got these medals and some other prizes, too.

And here's the waiting crowd during the prize giving ceremony.

Before I forget it: Winner of the tournament was Pavol Lisy, second was Li Ting and third Alexandre Dinerchtein, who only lost to Li Ting. The remaining prize winners were too numerous for me to remember, but they'll surely be listed on the event's website soon (they also promised there to upload some fotos there, so it is worth checking it out!).

In general it was a very well organized event, everything went smoothly. I especially liked that they used a beamer and a huge wall to announce the pairings and also published the results of the ongoing round. No shoving and no long waiting for small people like me, yay! But also the possibility to devide the hall into smaller rooms with just a narow passage in the middel between the compartments was very nice because it made everything much less noisy for everybody. The only thing that needed getting used to was the playing material which had.. seen quite a lot of battles, if I may put it like this. This was especially striking because of the new-looking (and speaking! >_<) electronic clocks that were used at most of the boards. Also, the material was combined in a very interesting way: playstic mats (instead of boards) with glass stones, normal and thicker wooden boards with plastic stones (ING material, with the increasing chance to get a glass stone or more the smaller your board number was) and nice, wooden bowls (with what I guess were glass stones) and nice boards for the top players. But I guess I'm a liiiiiiittle spoiled here... :oops: I hope you can forgive me. In the end the most important thing could be done with this material: PLAY!

I want to thank the organizers of the whole event again for setting up the tournament and for all the hard work the had to put into it so it could run as smoothly as it did!

My tournament performance

I want to keep this part short and simple because I doubt very much that very many are going to read this after the bible I wrote above (and because I fear that for all reads this part is also much less interesting than the other two. ;-) )

Well, after a disastrous last tournament in november where I scored 2 wins out of 5 games (and lost a large number of rating points) I have to confess that I'm a recidivist.. :cry: This time, I only won 1 game, against a 9k and lost the other three games against a 6k and two 8k. Especially the first two games (which I lost) were frustrating because I couldn't put a finger on what went so horribly wrong that I lost two times by more than 10 points. After that I was (if I may be honest) quite frustrated and didn't really care anymore how the rest of the games went. The only clue someonte gave me was that the first two games were too peaceful and that I didn't put up enough resistance. That's why I went into my super-Rambo-mode (which might still be kitten-mode for others) and finally could get a win. Although it was exciting, I don't quite like such games. They surely are more emotional (and that's a plus), but this narrow-minded hacking at each other simply isn't my thing, only one mistake can ruin your whole game... Still, maybe I do have to get used to it..? After the game I felt a little better (at least I was not feeling like an idiot any more) and a little worse, too (the gap in points was so large and so many stones had died... we both had 4 or 5 groups each and apart from one all of mine contained stones of hers and apart from one none of hers contained any of mine). Pretty weird, huh? ^^; The last game was okay, losing by around 6 points is always ok and content-wise it was still a much better game than the first two.

Still, in the end I'll lose a lot of rating points AGAIN and I'm now facing the paradox of that I'm most probably EGF 8k again and at the same time a very stable KGS 4k. Which confuses me and leaves me a bit at a loss at when it comes to deciding for a rank for the next tournament. I guess I'll go for the middle, 6k, although I have conflicting feelings about it.

One nice thing concerning me playing in this event was getting the chance to play in a simultan game with Ogawa Tomoko 6p, who is not only a very likeable person, but is also known for co-authoring "The Endgame" (of the Elementary Go Series) and was a disciple of Kitani Minoru himself. I was really honoured that I could play her and enjoyed our game (which I didn't record because I was so exhausted on saturday evening).

Even though the tournament was not very successful, the whole event itself more than put up for it - even if I had lost all of the games twice!

Here are the SGF files, too. I'd very much appreciate a few words on the first two games so if you have any ideas here, I'd love to hear them. :)

First round:

Second round:

Third round:

Fourth round:

With this, I conclude my report on the Kisei event in Alcalá de Henares. I sincerely hope you enjoyed it! :)

The report on my tournament "performance" includes most of my Go activity of that week (well.. apart from a very few games and some tsumego in the airplane), so that's why there won't be a special report on that. On sunday there'll be the next weekly report with one or two sgf files, too, and I hope you'll be back then. :)

This post by Ember was liked by: xed_over

Post #42 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:49 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I wouldn't say that your performance in Spain was extraordinarily bad. As far as I know a KGS 4k there is around EGF 9k (Example: our forum member RBerenguel), i.e. a few stones stronger than over here in Germany (and I myself am in the KGS 4k vs. EGF 7k ranges). At least this would perfectly explain your result of 1-3. KGS and EGF ranks should not be mixed up...

Here are a few comments about your games, but since I am not stronger than you, please take these with a grain of salt:

game 1:

8: I didn't like this move. It didn't put much pressure on the bottom right corner. Black's counter attack forced you to make a base and allowed Black to settle his bottom left corner while your base is not entirely secure yet. After Black 11 it seems that your opponent had already a good advantage.

14: Even though it seems that move e17 makes a nice shimari with extension, I feel that the gap between e17 and o17 is too big. A play around j17 instead of e17 would still allow an invasion, but then you could attack the invading stone better by pincering and chasing it from both sides while making territory (with assistance of the d10 stone). My assessment could be wrong though, so better to have someone stronger look over this position.

30: It seems this move does not do much except for running with the o17-group. Why not attack the black k16 stone at the same time? For this double-purpose l15 looks suitable.

38: Locally s10 is probably better, but I'd this is endgame. l15 is probably still better. Or an invasion at c3.

40: The area of play seems fine, however the low move was quite passive

46: Not sure, but before settling this white bottom group, I'd rather atari the black stone with the forcing move o6. This will retain the access to the center and the potential to reduce blacks right side.

90: Simply connect at j13

game 2:

63/65: what if you had played s2 here? I think the white group is not yet alive. It would have allowed you to chase it a bit longer.

67: This looks like an endgame move. There are still better opportunities around. E.g. the black e11 group needs to be settled (b14, b8). n18 looks like a double sente move (it would settle the o17 group and threaten an invasion at l18).

79: What if you had ignored White's b14 and invaded at l18? The black e11 group won't gather much territory anyway (and could be connected either to the center or to the bottom). I think the mutual damage would do white more harm.

93: Small. The biggest open area here is around k14 (white fixes this with the next move).

game 3:

6: not sure whether pincering is a good idea, since black has already a stone at d16

22: Seems the wrong shape. It allows black to settle in sente. I'd probably play p4 here.

30: Doesn't seem a good idea to me to peep at o16. It allows Black to fix its weekness. My idea here would either be connect with n18, or to cut directly with o16.

68: This double hane doesn't seem to be useful here. I would either atari at e14 or extend at b14.

72: broken shape for white, and black cannot be stopped from living. I'd probably counter-atari here at b13, then attack at the corner with c6 and settle the left side with d9.

game 4:

45: Let your opponent push you from behind: e12. Allowing white to play there would be painful.

Post #43 Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
karaklis wrote:
I wouldn't say that your performance in Spain was extraordinarily bad. As far as I know a KGS 4k there is around EGF 9k (Example: our forum member RBerenguel), i.e. a few stones stronger than over here in Germany (and I myself am in the KGS 4k vs. EGF 7k ranges). At least this would perfectly explain your result of 1-3. KGS and EGF ranks should not be mixed up...

Righty. To be fair I wanted to enter my next tournament (Barcelona 14) as 7-8k (suggested by Antti & Juri as a more competitive rank for me) but I'll be 9k. I hope to show I should have entered as 8k ;)

I think the 7-9k EGF area in Spain is roughly between 2-3k and 5-6k KGS, from previous experience, people I know and similar things.

Post #44 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:14 am 
Lives with ko

@ karaklis: Wow, thank you very much for looking at all of the games and adding your thoughts! Even if you said you're not stronger than me (which we don't know because we never played before ;-) ) I think it is really interesting to read the thoughts of a player who is of similar strength. And I think you had some really good ideas there. ¡Muchas gracias!

karaklis wrote:
game 2:
63/65: what if you had played s2 here? I think the white group is not yet alive. It would have allowed you to chase it a bit longer.

I don't know, at least 65 looks necessary to me because without it even if I got the vital point white could still escape and live. That's why I think 65 is a must, it forces white to live small. 63… well, this one definitely is questionable, I totally agree.

@ karaklis and RBerenguel: Thanks for telling me, I didn't know that the Spanish players at this level were so strong. Actually, it's kind of scary even, because the gap is so big (not only Spanish rank - KGS but also compared to German ranks). o.O Is this large gap a general tendency in Spain and also normal in the higher kyu and low dan ranks, too, or is it only like this around this level? (I knew there was an average gap of 100 EGF points between Spain and Germany, but this sounds - and felt - like more than that)

Weekly Update #6

Another week flew by. My Go resolution for this year and my remaining study schedule kept me very busy the whole week and I was able to play games, solve tsumego and study a bit, too (in Guo Juan's Group Class). On my way to work and home, I (mostly) did my tsumego dutifully and in many of the evenings I played a game. But sometimes I'm simply too tired to play and compiling the second part of the report on the Kisei event took me a whole evening to do, too, so I didn't play a(t least one) game every day as I should and practically didn't do anything after work than something related to Go (mind you, I have other hobbies, too, on which I hardly have spend any time this year). After each game it was mostly already quite late and I really had to go to bed, so more than one game was not an option, either. Honestly, this is very exhausting and I doubt that I can keep it up like this for very long (unless it gets easier after some time), so I might have to think about what to change. Playing shorter games? I don't really want that, because the whole idea behind it is not only about the number of games but also about the quality (if there is quality in a SDK game at all :lol: ) and thought put into each game. Reduce the number of total games? That would mean resignation after not even 3 weeks in and I'm not doing that! Maybe I'm overthinking it all too much again, I mean in case I really get behind, I can still catch up when I'm in vacation, so it should be fine in the end. :scratch:

Concerning January only, I'm still doing well. I'd have to play around 34 games per month to reach my goal and up to now I played 20 (11 games won and 9 games lost). That means there'll have to be 14 more games in the next 12 days. Sounds doable to me, I'll hang in there! With February coming up, I can't slack down now, because doing it in only 28 days is even tougher (if for me not entirely impossible - I played 6 games this weekend just to reach 20 games..). Playing is still fun (most of the times) now, so I should take advantage of this attitude as much as I can because there'll definitely be weeks in which I won't be in the mood to do anything related to Go at all (which kind of scares me). For now I'm really looking forward to reaching my goal of 34 games until January 31 and to reach the first landmark of 50 games played in total. That Excel file I made to track my progress really motivates me because 400 is just such a huge number, but breaking it down in monthly bites (or even weekly bites of 8 games) and seeing that I get closer and closer to this goal or that is a great source of motivation.

Some rants on some of the games I played:

Yesterday evening I played a game against a hard-lining overplayer and lost in the end (after a short comeback) because he lived inside my territory. Such games really get me down because I KNOW that he is overplaying all the time and that there is a way to punish him for it. Still, I'm unable to find the correct moves (especially in complicated situations like these where there are a lot of variations) and this helplessness is really frustrating (although I must admit in this case that I should have taken more time to read in the decisive moments, too.. :oops: ). After a short review I have a rough idea of what I did wrong so I hope that next time I might get the better end of it (109 should have been at Q10 instead and if he cuts I should just play sagari at S10 and the group is as dead as a handful of McDonald's french fries; if he doesn't cut, Q10 still looks like a vital point). Here's the game:

This afternoon I played another KGS 3k (no handicap, 0,5 points of komi for him) and he played weird (I think).. He wasn't so much interested in taking vital points or closing his upper side but instead tried to kill the worm I had which was perfectly connected (although I'd have to take some of his stones if I couldn't get 2 eyes or a connection to another living group of mine). In the course of the game, the worm was connected (it ran in one line across the whole board XD) and he managed to live with a group of his that had looked very, very weak quite some time when he took five of my stones that I couldn't connect due to damezumari. But he got gote there and because he was a little stubborn, I connected some of my formerly dead stones by catching 10 of his (I'd also have taken 2 in sente, but I won't complain here :roll: ). Later he was pretty desperate and tried strange stuff in my territory which I ignored at some point and where let me catch even more of his stones (he must have lost about 30-40 stones in the course of the game). In the end he finally resigned when I was leading by more than 60 (!!) points. For your entertainment I'll include the game here in case you'd like to take a look:

Tomorrow evening I'll play the next game for the group class and I sincerely hope that it might be at least nearly as good as the last one I played for it. Although I made some stupid mistakes at the end (which fortunately were pretty small) and lost sente without any need at all at the beginning of the middle game (which was a lot bigger), I cannot remember the last time when I was so satisfied with a game I had played. Here it is:

That's it for this week, folks. Thanks for coming, thanks for reading and thanks for commenting! Hope to see you again soon! Any comments are, as always, much appreciated. :)

Ember

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

+++ Playing statistics +++
Date: 19 January 2014
Games played/to be played: 20 / 380
Days passed/to come: 19 / 346
Games won: 11
Games lost: 9
Jigo: 0
Winning percentage: 55%
Landmarks: First win against KGS 3k on 5 January 2014 (unrated game, own rank: 4k, color: black, no komi), first win against KGS 3k in a rated game on 19 January 2014 (own rank: 4k, color: black, komi: 0,5 points)

Post #45 Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:11 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
Regarding the first game, I feel there is a certain element of passiveness in your play. If you can keep white under pressure more, he won't have time to pull fancy tricks.

Move 13: I might consider a more distant approach to be lighter. In any case, if black can get sente to make a shimari in the bottom right, black is golden.

Move 17: Black can tenuki from this. He will suffer a loss, to be sure, but if white spends another move to fix, black may be able to tenuki again to play on a grander scale. Black may also be able to jump into the center instead of fixing directly and try to take sente that way.

Move 21: Even Q5 puts more pressure on white.

Move 27: Consider O5 to take white's vital point. Also, you will probably have to give white something here, so consider how you plan to get compensation. A nice wall facing the top and white's low position there may be enough, including the invasion aji in the lower left.

Move 29: I want to pressure white from the other side instead of just running, because a move white makes to get out will induce you to support the black group on the left anyways.

Move 31: This move is too far away from white to make him worry about his group, so it gives white scope for action. This might be a good time to get a few peeps in from the right, and then think about moving out the F3 stone or threatening to rescue it from above.

Move 33: Why not O9, or something else more solid? Not sure this is right, but it's worth considering.

Move 35: Maybe consider just solidifying your gains with R10 or something? So far, white's been running on dame, which is a win for black.

With the following sequence, at some point black has to decide what he wants to keep and what he will give white, because he can't get everything. If black tries too hard, the position collapses. Even with the loss in the corner, though, this whole invasion sequence has not actually been beneficial for white. White got 10 points max, and black solidified most of his potential. Once black is solid, also, white has erased some of his own in the lower left.

Move 63: Is this move necessary yet? If it isn't, then it's almost a pass, and frankly, it's the middle game, but this move is only a matter of points even if white can cut. Even if there is enough aji there, it may be better to solidify by expanding at the upper left of the moyo rather than fixating on a few stones.

Taking the corner seemed like decent timing to me.

Move 79: I am looking at invading at J17 and trying to take advantage of white's move that way, or of just pressing white down. White has 38 points up top, assuming he just gets stones on the third line, and black's right side is much bigger than that, plus black has more territory or potential on the board otherwise than white, so he just needs to play calmly. This sequence ends with ugly shape for black, and more center potential for white, so I don't think I could call it a win.

Move 92: J13 or a reducing move look great for white.

Move 107: You talked about this sequence a bit, but if white connects at R10 or S11 or somesuch, how is he going to live?

I don't have that much to say about the fight that follows, other than to defend the right as S18 instead of making an eye directly, if it works.

Post #46 Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 am 
Lives with ko

Thank you very much for your detailed review, skydyr! Yes, this passiveness has always been a huge problem of mine. It's gotten better in the last 18 months, but it is obviously still a huge obstacle for progress.
You suggested many interesting moves here and I hope that I can apply some of the basic ideas in future games. Although I suspect it might take some time to get used to one or two of them (tenuki for Black 17 is just too hard for me for now to endure ^^; ).

on 63: I think that it is necessary because S7 can be cut and T7 can result in a snapback. Have I missed something here?

on 79: Playing calmly seems to be another general problem. :oops: But I sincerely hope that I'll be more relaxed after having played a number of games in the next few months. But you are right, attaching here was not a good idea. I was thinking about J17, too, but you know, sometimes your hand klicks faster than your brain can sream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!". Or the like. :) It's definitely a good point.

on 107: I don't quite got your question. Do you mean to play that before 107? Now, a few days after the game I wouldn't even play R10 anymore for 107 but R12 instead. Maybe that is what you meant?

Thanks again for sharing your ideas!

Post #47 Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:03 pm 
Oza

Ember wrote:
on 63: I think that it is necessary because S7 can be cut and T7 can result in a snapback. Have I missed something here?

on 107: I don't quite got your question. Do you mean to play that before 107? Now, a few days after the game I wouldn't even play R10 anymore for 107 but R12 instead. Maybe that is what you meant?

For 63, I was suggesting that assuming the cut works, which I think it may, it's slow for white to cut there right away, so maybe black should tenuki and fix it later.

For 107, If white connects on the side you blocked initially, his group is in no way alive and doesn't really have much in way of potential eyespace. I thought just descending to attach/block white on the side would be fine.

Post #48 Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm 
Lives with ko

@ skydyr: Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying! I'm having a hard time with these fiddly positions...

Weekly Update #7

This week has been much better than the last one so there'll (hopefully ;-) ) be less wailing this time than last time - although I don't think it's too bad too write about the bad times, too, because they're part of the whole thing as well. It's not true that it is always fun and great and all and this journal is not about illusions or lying to myself or to others.

Anyways, in the last week I felt some kind of relief when I fully realized that I'm doing very well concerning my goal for this month (remember 34 games per month to play to reach 400 games in 2014). Playing 6 games in 2 days (= last weekend) to catch up turned out to be the best thing I could've done. Since then I really feel much better and even took two evenings off this week to do something entirely different (at least on one evening, on the other I just changed the game for some Carcassonne South Seas), which I hadn't done in the two weeks before and which might have contributed a great deal to my bad mood last week. The fact that I only played one really miserable game this week (unfortunately the one I had to play for Guo Juan's group class...) and that I reached the rank of KGS 3k for the first time by playing (and not by not playing at all XD) contributed to the fact that I'm feeling great now, that I'm really motivated to go on! Now I really enjoy playing, although it would be even more fun to play more on a real board than playing pretty much only on the internet. I really do have to go to the club more regularly and I definitely want to go at least once a month from now on. I didn't go this week and probably won't go next week so instead I replayed two pro games this week (Iyama Yuta's, of course ;-) ).

I also did my dose of tsumego and started to like them again after some time in which I did them dutifully but didn't enjoy them very much. And apart from studying with Jenny Shen (she took over in this week's group class) I also studied a bit for myself by looking at James Davies' Tesuji again. I feel like studying tesuji again for the moment to avert the danger of playing too thinly - like I did in this weeks game for the group class - which is the result of when I try to play more active which is what everyone tells me is what I need to do. Still, most times I try it consciously, I fail big, like in this game. I included it along with two or three comments below so you can have a good laugh if you look at it - it's not even 100 moves long, so it won't take up much of your precious time, either.
My hope in studying tesuji is that it will help me to play more active and at the same time have the confidence that I know when I really have to defend (and where) and (which at the moment feels more important) when not. Let's see how that works out in the next few weeks and after I'm through with the book and if I need more ideas and examples (then I'd continue with Fujisawa Shuko's excellent tesuji dictionary) or continue to study something else (I'm always open to suggestions).

I'm really tired now because we were writing all day to finish the Kisei report for the German Go journal, so I won't post any games today. Still, I'll come back in the next few days to add (together with a few comments) my worst game of the year (yet, but I hope I won't unconsciously try to "surpass" myself there...) and one or two other losses I got today but which (at least for me) were very educational.

Until soon! Best wishes and take care with that crazy weather!

Ember

Date: 26 January 2014
Games played/to be played: 28 / 372
Days passed/to come: 26 / 339
Games won: 14
Games lost: 14
Winning percentage: 50%
Landmarks: First win against KGS 3k on 5 January 2014 (unrated game, own rank: 4k, color: black, no komi), first win against KGS 3k in a rated game on 19 January 2014 (own rank: 4k, color: black, komi: 0,5 points), first time hitting the rank of 3k by playing on 25 January 2014

This post by Ember was liked by: LuckyJim

Post #49 Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:59 pm 
Lives with ko

The "few days" stretched a bit longer because work is a bit crazy right now and of course because I was focussing on reaching the first milestone of this year: playing 34 games in January. And what should I say? This evening I hit the mark and played the 34th game this month!! :D

Image Image Image

To many players it might not sound a big deal (one player I met over the digital board this month had played as many as 24 games on only. one. single. day. :shock: ), but for me it is really a lot: Last year to reach 34 games it might have taken... 4 months? Or maybe 5 even? However, it doesn't feel that burdensome anymore like it was at the beginning. Although that might be typical of beginnings in general until you reach a point where you get used to it.

For me it has been a great experience so far and it has been a good (beginning of a) cure for some of my weak spots: OGA (Online Go Anxiety) lessened considerably, my attitude towards the game is in the progress of changing, the games seem to be a whole lot of more fun than before and I finally see some progress again. I can't wait until the end of February when I can finally compare a few results. Although now it definitely might a bit too early to tell, I think that I'm considerably closer to KGS 3k now than I have been before and I really hope for February that I even can keep that rank (setting another goal there? :) ).
Which consequently means that I should start to beat KGS 2kyus in the near future. Which sounds a biiiiit scary because my boyfriend has had that rank for quite a while - and had a solid rank of EGF 2k at that time. As I definitely wouldn't sign up for a tournament with a higher rank of 6k at the moment.. But I'm not afraid of them KGS 2kyus anymore, bring'em on! :lol: And you know why? This is why: It's the game I played last monday for Guo Juan's Group Class against a KGS 2k and even though I screwed up that ko by answering a threat which was no threat at all, I'm really proud of it because I only lost by 6,5 points (it was an even game and he got a komi of 7,5 points which means that I really nicked a point from him, wooohoooooo! :D ) and because of the whole game in general because I could play the moves I wanted to play (and they didn't turn out they were insanely stupid afterwards).

These are two more games I played last sunday against KGS 3ks. It's kind of funny: I mostly play with automatch and in more than 80% of the time I'm black against a 3k. These games were really interesting and I'm happy that I'm allowed to play stronger players so much lately, but I'm a bit afraid to get marked with a ~ for that... We'll see. Anyways, I lost both games by a large margin of around 20 points, but found them highly educational so I'll post them here where I can have another look at them conveniently and without having to hunt them down. Losing is not even half that bad when you know the reason for it and that you can do better next time because you understood why you lost (although actually using that knowledge in a real game is another thing :D ).

I'll celebrate this milestone this evening for a bit and tomorrow I'll go on with the games. (nope, no more games tonight - I'll celebrate by going to bed early because I got up really early today and yesterday to watch some moves of the second game of the Kisei title match live.. Image)

This already got so long it could be a weekly report.. XD Well, see you on sunday for the real thing. ;-)

Take care!

Post #50 Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:03 am 
Lives with ko

Weekly Update #8

The first month has passed and as you might be able to guess from my last post, I consider the whole project a real success until now. For the first time in years I'm really working on my Go and can actually feel and see the positive effects this has on my game. This fact spurs me on right now to continue on this way for I don't want to let the chance slip away to finally overcome the barrier that has held me back so long. A decisive factor in the whole thing was my beloved Excel sheet which visualised that the whole project is doable, but also this study journal which constantly reminds me of the resolutions I made and reminds me of the small steps forward I already took. Together with the much valued comments of everyone who cared to post here, it is a great source of motivation, too, so thanks to everyone! :-)

Here are the statistics for the first month:
Although I thought it was really hard to do so, I played the required number of games these month and even had one day left when I reached my goal, so I can be very satisfied here. My winning percentage in January was at 54% which I think is good. And I also played only one or two really bad games this month, so can't complain about this either (although it could be even less ;-)).

Right now, I'm regularly hitting the rank of KGS 3k frequently, but most of the times I immediately lose it again just to go up again after 2 or 3 games (kind of an escalator rank ^^; ). That's why I decided that for the next two weeks or so I'll only play rated games to get up to 3k again and play free games as 3k to get used to the playing styles of this rank (and get beaten up a bit to see what mistakes I have to avoid to make). After this time I'll play more rated games again to see if I can prove myself better then. If not, I'll continue with the method from before for another week or two and take another look until I feel sure that I'm a stable KGS 3k. This would be my goal for February.

During the last week, I solved considerably less tsumego than before but instead I read Tesuji by James Davies from the Elementary Go Series. The first half of the book felt pretty easy, but the second half seems to be more tricky for me. Maybe a hint on what I should be working on. :-) I think it was a good decision at this point to switch to this book instead of doing more tsumego because in the last week I was able to win a game or two because I could use some of the tesuji I had read about previously which gave me a decisive edge in the fighting that was taking place. After reading Tesuji I'll continue with tsumego. I also decided to finally study After Openings by Kim Sung-rae then, which I had wanted to do for many weeks now. More concretely, I'll study the corner enclosures from chapters 1 (4-4 point) and 2 (3-4 point) and leave the side positions out for now (and study them in between whenever I feel like it).

Therefore, on my agenda are these moves:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Of course, this will take a LOT longer to learn and to digest and to finally apply (hopefully correctly) in my own games than e.g. studying some tesuji. But I'm sure that studying these moves thoroughly will be extremely helpful for my game because these positions show up so much in games of all levels and therefore all the work will eventually pay off in the end. The book will be very helpful here not only as a reference which explains good and bad moves for both sides, but which also hints at other things that should be thought of during study (like what would happen if black or white tenukied here, is white still alive?) but which couldn't be covered in this space.
For now, I already started to study the A move in the "4-4 small keima"-enclosure. I guess it will take me on average about one month to study one diagramme thoroughly (which means that I understand the moves involved and am able to remember them with confidence). The only exception will be the "komoku small keima"-enclosure which has a hell lot of variations. I'd say that one will take at least twice as much time. I hope that by the end of the year I can say with confidence that I mastered the information in this book. Playing a lot will definitely help to drill the information and I want to play those moves as much as I can.
However, I'm still at a loss to decide in which order I should study the positions.. Should I start with the small keima enclosures first because they occur most often? Or first study the 4-4-enclosures and then move on to 3-4? I'd appreciate any opinions here. :-)

Concerning February, I already played 4 games in the first two days, so I'm on a good way in this hardest shortest of all months. But this month has only just begun so we'll see..
Have a good week and some exciting games, see you next week!

Ember

Date: 2 February 2014
Games played / to be played: 39 / 361
Days passed / to come: 33 / 332
Games won total: 21
Games lost total: 18
Winning percentage total: around 52%
Landmarks: First win against KGS 3k on 5 January 2014 (unrated game, own rank: 4k, color: black, no komi), first win against KGS 3k in a rated game on 19 January 2014 (own rank: 4k, color: black, komi: 0,5 points), first time hitting 3k by playing and not by not-playing (25 January 2014), January: succeeded in playing the 34 games needed per month to reach 400 games by the end of the year

Post #51 Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:23 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Ember wrote:
However, I'm still at a loss to decide in which order I should study the positions.. Should I start with the small keima enclosures first because they occur most often? Or first study the 4-4-enclosures and then move on to 3-4? I'd appreciate any opinions here. :-)

I'd say studying those positions first that appear most often is a good idea. That will be most effective when working one's way up into the clouds ;-) Besides, switching between 4-4 and 3-4 in this way allows some diversification in your studies and may prevent getting bored easily.

Post #52 Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:09 am 
Oza

karaklis wrote:
Ember wrote:

I'd say studying those positions first that appear most often is a good idea. That will be most effective when working one's way up into the clouds ;-) Besides, switching between 4-4 and 3-4 in this way allows some diversification in your studies and may prevent getting bored easily.

If you're interested in studying in a more casual fashion (which I prefer personally) this, or positions after you see them in games, seems to be the way to go. There is something to be said, however, for looking at a particular position and then extrapolating to positions with one more stone in a systematic fashion, so you can see how that extra stone affects development there.

Post #53 Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:46 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks a lot for your help, karaklis and skydyr! :)

Both approaches are justified but after thinking a bit about it in the last two days I think a more strict and organized way might be better for me. As Kageyama would put it, I need to be scruffed by the neck and be more disciplined if I want to get anywhere anytime soon, so that's the course I'll take.. To mix it up a bit I'll follow karaklis suggestion to switch between 3-4 and 4-4 enclosures. However, while I study the small keima enclosures I'll take a peek at the other enclosures and the moves around them as they show up in my games (although as "peek" suggests I won't study them as thoroughly as those moves which are on the agenda at that moment). That way, there'll be not only more variety but I'll also know which kinds of enclosures to study next.

So far, the study goes well: I worked through the diagrammes for the A and B moves of the 3-4 small keima enclosure. Not a great deal as it's not exactly hard to remember 5 or so pages (understanding the material is not the problem as it is very well presented), but it is a first step. As I've never done anything like this before it will be interesting to see how far I'll get and if I reach this goal. :)

Post #54 Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 am 
Lives with ko

Weekly Update #8

It is amazing how fast time flies when you are working towards a goal - even if minor things like work and (connected with that) tiredness keep you from doing so. This was a rather awkward week, I was simply too tired to do much related to go during the working days apart from reading James Davies' Tesuji while commuting, getting the yearly membership from Guo Juan's webpage (and looking at like three videos in the last two days) and playing one scheduled game for Guo Juan's Group Class. This game, however, really got my temper going again. Actually I was way too tired to play that evening and I never would have played if the game hadn't been scheduled and had to be played that evening because of this. Well, everyone can imagine how it went: I managed to get off to a bad start and felt I already had a bad position after around 20 moves (although before the review from yesterday I couldn't point my finger on the move(s) that got me into trouble). Then I played one or two quite ok moves (with the kind help of my opponent) which allowed me to settle an invasion group that should have felt a lot more pain and pressure (but I won't complain). Then everything fell apart when I
1) totally screwed up to defend my side territory and he got a definite lead by cutting off some of my stones
2) played a move I thought I had to play to let another group live that was cut off during the split of 1) but which was absolutely unnecessary and which lost me sent
3) managed to overlook a move where I had to simply connect and all only to play a monkey jump and lose more than one third of the afore mentioned invasion group (that's where I resigned).

I'm 100% sure that all three points could have been avoided if I hadn't been so tired that evening. That's why I was really angry that this game got into the review session for the group class because the comment or "advice" on this game was bound to be something like "Pay more attention" or "Read more" or "Do more tsumego" (which it was…) - which is not what I was seeking for when I signed up for the class and which isn't really necessary to implement because usually I DO read (a lot) more than in this game and usually do more tsumego than in the last two weeks (in which I wasn't lazy, either, but put the emphasis somewhere else). This is already the second out of five games I played like this and this really makes me start to think. Maybe I should from now on try to schedule my games on the sunday after the lecture so that I'm sure to have rested well. By coincidence the game for the next lesson actually was scheduled for today and it didn't go that bad even though my opponent is a KGS 1k. It even was a close game with him getting all four corners and me getting an impressive center territory (that's right, not a moyo) but then I screwed it up again when I didn't defend my group at the top properly because I thought that it would be ok and then theoretically played a self-atari and the whole thing (which had looked pretty healthy 20 moves before) died. Well. That definitely proves what a vital role doing tsumego has for me at the moment and that I shall not cut time here to study something else in the future.. Still, after this game I was not frustrated at all because the rest of the game went pretty nicely (at least that's what I think now ^^; ). Here it is, if you'd like to take a look (if anyone has an idea for a more active move instead of just swallowing the two stones with M9 I'd love to hear it):

I wasn't able to reach my goal of playing eight games this week and only played six. However, this is okay since I'm still doing fine concerning the number of games and the days remaining. Apart from the one game I played for Guo Juan it was also a pretty successful week. Since I had lost three games straight last sunday, which got me the 4k back, I wasn't able to start with my plan of playing only free games when hitting 3k yet. However, I'll start from tomorrow with this experiment because I got it back again today. :D It will be interesting to see how things will turn out, especially after this encouraging game against the 1k today (omfg, I can play ok-ish against KGS 1k! :o ).
As I've finished reading Tesuji, I'll also continue to do more tsumego again (which hopefully helps against overlooking embarrassingly simple moves) and watch at least two lectures from Guo Juan per week. I plan to loosely follow her study guide and start "from the bottom" because I believe that reviewing the basic stuff one more time will give me a good base for future improvement (although I'm definitely not dissatisfied with how things are going at the moment :) ). Tonight I'll recapture the moves for the "4-4 small keima"-enclosure I have studied so far and continue with the next move and that's it for tonight (maybe, I've got this new app, Tsumego Pro and it is kind of tempting... :D ).

Let's see what the next week will bring. :)

Ember

Date: 9 February 2014
Games played/to be played: 47 / 353
Days passed/to come: 40 / 325
Games won total: 25
Games lost total: 22
Winning percentage total: around 52%
Landmarks: First win against KGS 3k on 5 January 2014 (unrated game, own rank: 4k, color: black, no komi), first win against KGS 3k in a rated game on 19 January 2014 (own rank: 4k, color: black, komi: 0,5 points), first time hitting 3k by playing and not by not-playing (25 January 2014), January: succeeded in playing the 34 games needed per month to reach 400 games by the end of the year

Post #55 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:45 pm 
Lives with ko

A little mid-week update, I just couldn't resist after the game I just finished. In the last few days, I made a new account on KGS to especially practice playing white in handicap games. Never played it much from this side and I think there's much to be learned from it - let alone from the possibility to give something back to another player in teaching games. First I wanted to play a few games without handicap to get a rating to work with because no one would play me without a rank. So, I started automatch with a guessed rank of 3k and won against a 2k, so I moved up to 2k?. In the next game I got a 1k and thought "Yeah, that's going to be quick, he'll kill me off quickly and nicely" and I just played and... well, see below. :shock: Yeah, he played strangely and overly aggressive, but these games still are not easy to win. And.. and... look at the game and his rank and... need I say anymore? I know I shouldn't be too thrilled about it but... right now, it's kind of hard not to be extatic. :shock: :mrgreen: It's almost too much for somebody who was stuck at around 6k for nearly 5 years and on 6k on KGS. Pretty scary even (although I still won't complain ^^).

This post by Ember was liked by 2 people: moyoaji, RBerenguel

Post #56 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 143
Was liked: 218
Universal go server handle: moyoaji
I've never managed to beat a KGS 1k before. That's a nice thing to be able to say, even if :w14: was an insane move. Pure greed as as far as I can tell. And why shouldn't he be greedy?! Heaven forbid black makes 15 points on the left side of the board! That's, like, the best side! White's own 15-20 point corner can't compete with left side territory! :roll:

Your subsequent attack looked like it would get you good profit in the top left, even if white managed to live. That is always important because white should not have let you kill him. A stone like :w14: can be attacked, but it shouldn't be able to be killed outright. I do wonder about :b17: though - I would usually expect that to be at F13, the knight's move. This might have been a faster way to build the top and continue your attack.

I think :w38: was the final nail in the coffin. The atari at F9 seems necessary to keep his group connected and out. Again, it looks like he got greedy - in this case smelling blood while not realizing his own group was in jeopardy.

Also, well done on finishing Tesuji. I still technically need to finish that book, so you are ahead of me there as well. I suppose if you and I do play a game I'll have to take a couple of stones against you. ;)

-Kageyama Toshiro on proper moves

Post #57 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:56 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the reply, moyoaji! Yeah, of course the left side of the board is the best side, didn't you know yet?! That's where the flower kos bloom and the rabbity sixs are grilled and the cranes fly directly in your mouth. ;-)

On :w14: : You're absolutely right, that stone should never have died in the first place. I mean, he broke through my bad shape (elephant jump) and cut me and what happened in the end? He got himself cut, too, and even died... Concerning :b17: I'm not sure that the knight's move would have been better. White would be able to get the point of E12 himself and would not only press down on D12 and friends (that cutting point at D13 troubles me a bit) but also :b15: would be weakened even more. I'm not sure, but just nobi out feels like this stone puts more pressure on white because he hast to squeeze through between those stones. But who am I to say that? Just some overrated player. :roll:
Still, I think that you are absolutely right concerning :w38:, that one should have been an atari. Also I think that :b37: was a bad play of mine so he should have taken advantage of that. Theoretically. :blackeye:

On Tesuji: In the end I must admit I rushed it a bit because the second half got increasingly difficult.. and because I wanted to read something else. I'm sure that you'll do better than me here. :) We can test it with a game but I doubt very (very) much that I could give you handicap, not only because I'm bad at it (still). But if you want to play a game just send me a message. ^^

Post subject:
Post #58 Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:59 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Ember, congrats on the win. It was a kind of blitz -- average ~14 secs per move for each of you --
and White's basics are not good.
Ember wrote:
Concerning :b17: I'm not sure that the knight's move would have been better.
:b17: was terrible. moyoaji was correct here. Either keima (F13 or G12) would've been better, no question about it.
If you want the top, pick the F13 keima. If you want to control the center, pick the G12 keima.

:b24: was also bad, similar reason: broken shape for Black -- you hurt yourself.

:w40: was bad, same reason: broken shape for White ( :b53: ) -- he hurt himself.

See also Toothpaste and related broken shapes Links.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Ember

Post subject:
Post #59 Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Ember wrote:
I'm not sure, but just nobi out feels like this stone puts more pressure on white because he hast to squeeze through between those stones.
Precisely the opposite. Your :b17: - :w18: broken shape forces W to hurt yourself.

Let's have an empty board for the moment, and just look at this local situation:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$W diagram 1
$$ . . . . . . .
$$ . . X . . . .
$$ . . 1 . . . .
$$ . . . X . . .
$$ . . . . . . .[/go]
If it's B's turn, there is only one local reply -- of course B blocks :
[go]$$W diagram 2
$$ . . . . . . .
$$ . . X . . . .
$$ . . 1 2 . . .
$$ . . . X . . .
$$ . . . . . . .[/go]
It would make no sense for B not to block...
[go]$$W diagram 3a
$$ . . . . . . .
$$ . 2 X . . . .
$$ . . 1 . . . .
$$ . . . X . . .
$$ . . . . . . .[/go]
… and to allow :w3: to rip apart B's original keima, like this:
[go]$$W diagram 3b
$$ . . . . . . .
$$ . 2 X . . . .
$$ . . 1 3 . . .
$$ . . . X . . .
$$ . . . . . . .[/go]
The above diagram 3b is a very bad shape for Black,
which is exactly your :b17: - :w18: exchange --
just add one W stone :wc: to diagram 1:
[go]$$W diagram 4a
$$ . . . . . . .
$$ . . X . . . .
$$ . . 1 . . . .
$$ . W . X . . .
$$ . . . . . . .[/go]
If B makes the bad move of :b2:, pulling back instead of blocking,
we get the same local shape as your :b17: - :w18: exchange:
[go]$$W diagram 4b
$$ . . . . . . .
$$ . 2 X . . . .
$$ . . 1 3 . . .
$$ . W . X . . .
$$ . . . . . . .[/go]

See also Toothpaste and related broken shapes Links.

This post by EdLee was liked by 2 people: Ember, LuckyJim

Post #60 Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 am 
Lives with ko

Thanks a lot for pointing out and for explaining the shape problem more closely, EdLee, it's comments like this and the one before that help you advance, thank you! :-) Now I can really understand what a bad play I made there.. :oops: I'll work on it. I already looked at the page about the toothpaste. I haven't been aware of this, but I'll try to remember this when I play from now on. Do you know any other material on the subject or will a look at shapes in general be helpful here, too? Could you recommend something?

I took a closer look at the cut I was fearing, too, and have to admit that there isn't really anything to win there for white, it just gets worse for him (at least if I didn't overlook something). You're right in that I should have taken a bit more time, especially here, but since I believed that I had no chance to even reach move 150 (let alone the endgame) and since the nobi just seemed so obvious.. I just played it. How wrong was I!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next