It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
Post #241 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi SoDesuNe, very nice efforts ! Congrats !
SoDesuNe wrote:
    1. YCH Tesuji vol. 1
    2. YCH L&D vol. 2
    3. Get Strong at the Opening
    4. YCH Tesuji vol. 3
    5. YCH L&D vol. 3
    6. YCH Tesuji vol. 5
    7. YCH L&D vol. 4
    8. 501 Opening Problems
    9. Go/Segeo Tesuji Dict. vol. 1
    10. 1000 Weiqi Problems
What does "dropped out" mean ?

How many problems are you solving per day ?

Post subject: Re: SoDesuNe paves his road to Shodan
Post #242 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
Ok! Will try to do 2 each day (either 2 Cs, 1 and 1 or 2 Bs.) Will be hard, I also have my tsumego homework from the NGA

Post #243 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
EdLee
Thank you : )
"Dropped out" means I solved the book twice with a score of 95% or higher correctly solved problems.

It varies how many problems I solve. On goproblems.com I solve on average 40 a day (difficulty 15k to 1d). Offline it depends on the type of book: I solved around 50 opening problems a day but only ten Tesuji or Tsumego problems because they often are more time consuming. It also depends on the diffculty of the book, though, e.g. I solved YCH L&D vol. 2 with an average of 25 problems day.
So, 50 problems a day is a good guess, I think ^^

RBerenguel
NGA Tsumegos are just 10 for two weeks (unless they changed the system) :rambo: : D
I tried the first... eight, I guess, problems from Go/Segeo Tesuji Dict. vol. 1 and already missed variations in seven of them =D At least I always found the first move so far.

Post subject:
Post #244 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
SoDesuNe wrote:
"Dropped out" means I solved the book twice with a score of 95% or higher correctly solved problems.
Oh! I thought it meant something like you gave up, as in "dropped out of school". Maybe use some other, more positive term...? :)

Post #245 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
SoDesuNe wrote:
EdLee
Thank you : )

It varies how many problems I solve. On goproblems.com I solve on average 40 a day (difficulty 15k to 1d). Offline it depends on the type of book: I solved around 50 opening problems a day but only ten Tesuji or Tsumego problems because they often are more time consuming. It also depends on the diffculty of the book, though, e.g. I solved YCH L&D vol. 2 with an average of 25 problems day.
So, 50 problems a day is a good guess, I think ^^

RBerenguel
NGA Tsumegos are just 10 for two weeks (unless they changed the system) :rambo: : D
I tried the first... eight, I guess, problems from Go/Segeo Tesuji Dict. vol. 1 and already missed variations in seven of them =D At least I always found the first move so far.

Just a quick note, I have just started the Go/Segeo Tesuji Dictionary as well and we are similar level. I don't find the A level problems to be beyond my level, although I may miss a variation sometimes. I don't think it's necessary for you to skip over them entirely.

Post #246 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 pm 
Gosei

Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
SoDesuNe wrote:
RBerenguel

They are 20 every two weeks now. Also, this installment is harder than usual because almost all B class members this month are within 3 points in the tsumego competition. Also I don't have time for tsumego every day – yesterday for example I worked (either in my PhD or in my job) from 6 AM to 8 PM... And afterwards I wasn't really able to connect or cut anything except supper :D And today is quite likely the same, with the addition that I have NGA game and NGA lecture (so already booked a chunk of the day for go) :(

Post #247 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm 
Gosei

EdLee
Uhh, never thought of that. You're right, I'll change it to "accomplished" =D

cdybeijing
You must be better than me ; )
I'm used to solve easier problems and to do it within one or two minutes. The Go/Segeo problems already need more time than my usual Tesuji problems because they requiere much deeper reading (if I remember correctly one C-problem had a 15-move-sequence, albeit as good as forced).
I won't say A-problems are incomprehensible, they just take too long in my opinion. Since I mostly do problems inbetween other things, I often don't have that time.

RBerenguel
Yeah, I was just teasing, sorry! Good luck with the Tsumego competition! =)

Post #248 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 pm 
Gosei

SoDesuNe wrote:
RBerenguel
Yeah, I was just teasing, sorry! Good luck with the Tsumego competition! =)

No problem :)

Post #249 Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:44 am 
Gosei

Back from a two-day-convention where our Go club had a stand to promote this wonderful game and I must say, it was a blast! I wouldn't have thought that there is such an enormous potential of people wanting to know about and more importantly play this game. At least if you take people interested in japanese or asian culture since this was a Anime-, Manga-, Cosplay-convention ^^
I think our biggest success was that people, who came on Saturday and learnt the game, started showing up on Sunday, too, to just play a game or two with their friends (even started to teach their friends the game on their own).

But we weren't short of learning experiences as well. I never tried to systematically teach Go to someone as short and understandable as possible, so I prepared a handout with the basic rules and just went with it.
What became obvious quite fast was that there were difficulties counting liberties when stones were connected diagonally. Although the stones were connected in the sense that the opponent could not cut through, in terms of liberties they still count seperately.
The concept of "eyes" was troublesome, too, but we expected as much. We noticed, though, that new players started to recreate the shape, we presented as alive, in their games to the point that they repeatedly played inside their territory to form "eyes". We tried not to use the word "eye" or "eyes" and just explained a living group via the suicide-rule, so stones live when they have two spaces where the opponent is not allowed to put a stone into. Sounded akward every time but at least it was easily understood =)
To improve on that misconception that the players had to recreate this one alive-shape, we just showed multiple possibilities of living groups. Got much better afterwards : )
The third learning experiences was the complete banishment of Atari-Go. It's true the players learn to care for their stones but ultimately they start doing nothing else except trying to capture stones and take away liberties of groups with 10+ of these (always with the explanation that when the other players doesn't see it, they can capture it in the end ^^) even when they don't play Atari-Go.
We also refrained from explaining capturing techniques like the ladder or the net in the beginning because of this. When they played a couple of games and such a shape came up, we tried to lead them by asking if it was possible to capture this one stone / these stones for sure.

In the end we gave away 32 printable Go sets from gogameguru.com (http://gogameguru.com/instant-go-set/) and even more handouts with the rules and useful links on it.
Aji's Quest (http://home.earthlink.net/~inkwolf/Inkw ... Quest.html) also sparked some interest.

Now we are thrilled to see how many newly acquainted players will come to our club meetings =)

Post #250 Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
KGS: PeterN
Online playing schedule: KGS some weekday evenings GMT/BST
KGS weekends semi-randomly
Glad to hear it went well, and best of luck on new players turning up! :)

PeterN

Post #251 Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 am 
Gosei

Thanks PeterN : )

I finished my second replay of the ten-game-match between Go and Tagakawa (John Fairbairn's Final Summit). I will skip the seven three-game-matches for now and immediately re-start the ten-game-match because I am really fond of its commentary. The three-game-matches also come with commentary but they are shorter and thus requiere more thinking on my part (oh, jolly me!) : )
Maybe I will go over them after the third time or maybe I will take another round of Games of Shuei then.

Post #252 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:44 am 
Gosei

Hm, it seems immediately replaying the ten-game-match is a bit too early. It's all still too fresh to get excited about the games.
I also don't want to start with Games of Shuei right now because I have plans for that for December (maybe checking out the SmartGo version =) ). Soooo, I will just try out Chen Yaoye games (I'm a fan of him) without comments for now (from here: http://igokisen.web.fc2.com/news.html). I know GoGameGuru.com has some games with good commentary and I'm sure I will replay them, too.
For now I'm interested in the "educational value" of uncommented games.

Starting today with Chen Yaoye's first game in the 18th LG Cup : )

Post #253 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:51 am 
Gosei

How are the S/S tesuji going along? I am in chapter two of vol 2 (about direct cuts to connect, crosscut tesuji more or less) having solved all C level problems up to here. I failed 4 or 5 relatively badly, and in 2 or 3 missed a better white defense/better end result for white, but so far pretty OK. This morning I have tried again B problems but they are still a step ahead of my reading.

Post #254 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 am 
Gosei

I'm at the last 50 problems of the first volume and I failed quite some problems quite hard =D I really like the problems, though. I feel I can learn a lot from them and definitely look forward to the next run =)

Post #255 Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:28 am 
Gosei

SoDesuNe wrote:
I'm at the last 50 problems of the first volume and I failed quite some problems quite hard =D I really like the problems, though. I feel I can learn a lot from them and definitely look forward to the next run =)

Yes, the problems are awesome and I feel the same. Looking forward to when I can tackle the B stream!

Post #256 Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:22 am 
Gosei

Code:
Book               1. Run (correctly solved [%])      2. Run                     3. Run                     4. Run (*four months later*)
YCH Tesuji 1     //     116 / 123 [94%]      |      98 / 123 [80%]      |     115 / 123 [93%]      |     111 / 123 [90%]     
YCH Tesuji 2     //     119 / 123 [97%]      |     107 / 123 [87%]      |     118 / 123 [96%]      |    - accomplished -     
YCH Tesuji 3     //      97 / 123 [79%]      |      97 / 123 [79%]      |     107 / 123 [87%]      |     101 / 123 [82%]
YCH Tesuji 4     //     119 / 123 [97%]      |     120 / 123 [98%]      |    - accomplished -      |    - accomplished -     
YCH Tesuji 5     //      75 / 123 [61%]      |     *85 / 123 [69%]*     |

YCH Tsumego 1    //     121 / 123 [98%]      |     115 / 123 [93%]      |     120 / 123 [98%]      |    - accomplished -     
YCH Tsumego 2    //     110 / 123 [89%]      |     113 / 123 [92%]      |     115 / 123 [93%]      |     113 / 123 [92%]
YCH Tsumego 3    //     101 / 123 [82%]      |     105 / 123 [85%]      |     114 / 123 [93%]      |     108 / 123 [88%]
YCH Tsumego 4    //      69 / 123 [56%]      |      74 / 123 [60%]      |      92 / 123 [75%]      |      89 / 123 [72%]     

GS Opening       //        n/a               |     131 / 175 [75%]      |     144 / 175 [82%]      |     149 / 175 [85%]     
501 Opening      //        n/a               |     340 / 501 [68%]      |     372 / 501 [74%]      |     387 / 501 [77%]

G/S Tesuji 1     //      83 / 163 [51%]      |

Ohhhkay : D
I'm through with Go/Segoe Tesuji Dictionary vol. 1 and as you can see I barely managed to solve half of the C (44) and B (119) problems - there are 163 A problems, too, which I didn't try. This is officially the worst score so far in any problem book. Good that we are incorrigible optimists! It can only go upwards from here on with lots of space for improvement! ^^

I also try to play games regulary, one to three a day, and get reviews for my lost ones. It's an up and down right now. Although it's safe to say that anytime I recieve handicap I lose for sure. Can't get my head around the fact that handicap stones make me play so aweful (some recent examples are below). Maybe a DDK, weak SDK trauma?
In the rest of the games I feel I play very unbalanced, which is good insofar as I'm trying out a lot of things, mostly fighting related because this is a really weak part of my Go. I also try to incorporate ideas I get through replaying professional games, not always with success but well, at least one experience richer =D
It's also quite funny that I find myself in Byo-Yomi quite fast, when I actually thought I played reasonable quick. Guess I concentrate harder than I'm aware of - although that makes actually a lot of sense : D

Overall, I feel the development goes in the right direction. I wonder where I will end when the waves have calmed : )

For now I will start 1000 Weiqi Problems, so logan and everyone else, who would like to join: Ready. Set. Go!

1. YCH Tesuji vol. 1
    2. YCH L&D vol. 2
    3. Get Strong at the Opening
    4. YCH Tesuji vol. 3
    5. YCH L&D vol. 3
    6. YCH Tesuji vol. 5
    7. YCH L&D vol. 4
    8. 501 Opening Problems
    9. Go/Segeo Tesuji Dict. vol. 1
    10. 1000 Weiqi Problems

Post #257 Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:57 am 
Gosei

I re-uploaded the games above with some comments from a friend.

Post #258 Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:56 pm 
Gosei

I solved the first section of the first half today (of 1000 Weiqi Life and Death 1000 Problems). In the beginning I thought this will be an easy walkover but after the first 50 problems the difficulty started to increase. In the 90ies I got my first wrong problem and the last douzen were really tough. Overall 110 correctly solved so far ^^

Second section here I come!

Post #259 Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:28 am 
Gosei

It would be interesting to know how unique the problems in 1000 Weiqi Life-and-Death Problems are. There are certainly quite a few brillantly composed ones but I've seen/solved a lot of them already before (question is, who borrowed from whom?). Still a nice check-up, though and good problems don't get bad if you solve them again, quite the opposite =)

I guess, I'll finish the second section (killing!) today.

Post #260 Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Ok, I'm not falling behind. Good.

If you have any questions about the problems, let me know.

You should encounter your first diagram & solution errors soon.

Problems I liked:

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bm1 94. Black to play
$$ . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ . . . . . . O O O O . |
$$ . . . . . O . X X X . |
$$ . . . . . O . . O X . |
$$ . . . . . O . . X X . |
$$ . , . . . O . , X O O |
$$ . . . . . O X . X O . |
$$ . . . . . O X . X O O |
$$ . . . . . . O . O O . |
$$ ----------------------[/go]

[go]$$Bm1 98. Black to play
$$ . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ . , . . . . O O X X . |
$$ . . . . . O . X . . . |
$$ . . . . O . . . . . . |

[go]$$Bm1 108. Black to play
$$ . , . . . O O O . O . |
$$ . . . O . X X X O X . |
$$ . . . O X . O X O . . |
$$ . . . . X O . . . . . |

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 23  Next