All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from Germany
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:28 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 4
KGS: Taito
IGS: Haze
Online playing schedule: KGS/IGS: 18:00 - 22:00 (UTC+2)
DGS/OGS: unregularly spread all over the day
Hi everybody,

I first started playing Go at the age of 17 on an Anime-Convention. I was an active player on KGS for about a year, then I stopped because I didn't enjoy it anymore - I was frightened of losing or making mistakes (which may have been my biggest one) and was too focused on improving my rank.
Now, about 9 years later, I fell in love with the game again. Since the end of May I played every day and continued reading my old Go books, solving tsumego again, making friends at the Go servers and so on. This time I wont let myself prevent me from having fun. Of course I still want to become stronger, but I "permit" myself to make mistakes and lose games - it's just part of the game and the learning experience and will help me to improve.

So, here I am. :) I hope to find/give some advice, interesting discussions and contacts connected to Go.

This post by Taito was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, oca, virre

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Germany
Post #2 Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:17 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Moin Taito,

and welcome—I think you’ll like it here :-)

Taito wrote:
[..] I stopped because I didn't enjoy it anymore - I was frightened of losing or making mistakes (which may have been my biggest one) and was too focused on improving my rank.
Sounds like Online Go Anxiety, I know this too, though I’m not really concerned about my (low) rank. I also found that (for me) it has a lot to do with too short time settings (I have enough deadlines in my job already), and (also for me) it happens neither in Real Life™ games nor in online games with people I’m acquainted with, no matter how distantly.

Quote:
[..] This time I wont let myself prevent me from having fun.
Good :-)

Quote:
Of course I still want to become stronger, but I "permit" myself to make mistakes and lose games - it's just part of the game and the learning experience and will help me to improve.
I’ve found that teaching beginners and giving them enough handicap relieves me of the fear of losing since there I lose about 50% of the games (given that we’ve found an appropriate handicap) :-D and I realized that losing against, say, 5 stones on 9x9, really doesn’t mean that I dramatically failed—it means rather that my teaching is successful :cool:

Nice blog BTW :-)

I assume you already know the German DGoB forum … ?

Herzliche Grüße aus der Lüneburger Heide,

Tom

This post by Bonobo was liked by: Taito

Post #3 Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:24 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I like to try and remind people, that its actually possible to lose every game you ever play, and yet still improve (its just that your server rank would never show it).

losing is one of the best ways to improve, because we learn best from our mistakes.

This post by xed_over was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, Taito, virre

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 4
KGS: Taito
IGS: Haze
Online playing schedule: KGS/IGS: 18:00 - 22:00 (UTC+2)
DGS/OGS: unregularly spread all over the day
Bonobo wrote:
Sounds like Online Go Anxiety, I know this too, though I’m not really concerned about my (low) rank. I also found that (for me) it has a lot to do with too short time settings (I have enough deadlines in my job already), and (also for me) it happens neither in Real Life™ games nor in online games with people I’m acquainted with, no matter how distantly.

Well, I remember having had the biggest problems with seeing people observe my games, especially friends. Playing against strangers wasn't difficult. But after a loss I blamed myself for making (stupid) mistakes. (So I became frightened of even starting a game.) When my rank got worse I thought about other people seeing that I got weaker. I paid way too much attention to what others might think about me or my playing and forgor the fun ;) Well, I hope I've grown up now. Making my steps forwards or backwards public with a Blog is kind of an exposure therapy ;)

Bonobo wrote:
I assume you already know the German DGoB forum … ?

I do! Thanks anyway.

@xed_over
You're right, but I guess it would still be very discouraging to lose every single game you play ;)
I agree, that you can learn more from a lost game than from a won game but one should not forget that motivation also is important to learn something. And motivation would drop for sure if I lost 100 ot of 100 games. Sometimes you just need a little victory for your psyche. That's human nature.

This post by Taito was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:39 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Taito

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:58 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Willkommen!

Hopefully you will find life in 19x19 a gemutlich place.

I also worry about my rank I have to remember it is about playing your best enjoying the game and concentrating on the board.

Have fun!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

This post by goTony was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Taito

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:21 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
Welcome! I'm in pretty much the same boat. Afraid to make mistakes and seem stupid. Haven't really been studying either, which I know isn't helping. I've got to get back on the virtual horse and try again. It's the only way.

This post by Rowen was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Rowen wrote:
Welcome! I'm in pretty much the same boat. Afraid to make mistakes and seem stupid. Haven't really been studying either, which I know isn't helping. I've got to get back on the virtual horse and try again. It's the only way.

Giddyup cowboy!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
goTony wrote:
Rowen wrote:

Giddyup cowboy!

Couldn't have said it better! Now to actually do it.....

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Rowen wrote:
goTony wrote:
Rowen wrote:

Giddyup cowboy!

Couldn't have said it better! Now to actually do it.....

Do cowboys play GO?

Anthony