It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello! New to Go here!
Post #1 Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:43 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 10
Hello! Er..It's been a long time since I've posted in any forum but uh yeah-- Greetings from Hokkaido, Japan!

I've been interested in Go ever since I read Hikaru no Go about 7/8 years ago but back then I wasn't able to really understand the game..anyway I found myself wanting to learn the game (I really wanted to understand the games in the manga more) so I've been reading and watching videos about Go.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to talking about Go with everybody! :) Yoroshiku onegaishimasu~

This post by mmmsoup was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:06 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Soup, Welcome! :)

よろしくお願いします。

This post by EdLee was liked by: mmmsoup

Post subject: Re: Hello! New to Go here!
Post #3 Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:32 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Welcome!

I hope you share some pictures of the local GO scene in Japan, and tell us a little about it. I know myself and many others on the site would appreciate it and find it interesting.

A funny thing happened at our GO Club one day. We had two local High School teachers and a Couple of female Japanese High Schoolers come to our GO Club to learn. They had seen one of our fliers around town and thought it would be fun. So we did teach them and they took pictures of learning GO in small town America! They had never played before. I thought it was funny that they learned how to play in America. What a small world.

よろしくお願いします!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

This post by goTony was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, mmmsoup

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:59 pm 
Honinbo

goTony wrote:
learning GO in small town America!
Small world, indeed. Which small town ?

Post #5 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 am 
Beginner

EdLee wrote:
Hi Soup, Welcome! :)

よろしくお願いします。

よろしく~! ♩є(・Θ・。)э

goTony wrote:
Welcome!

I hope you share some pictures of the local GO scene in Japan, and tell us a little about it. I know myself and many others on the site would appreciate it and find it interesting.

A funny thing happened at our GO Club one day. We had two local High School teachers and a Couple of female Japanese High Schoolers come to our GO Club to learn. They had seen one of our fliers around town and thought it would be fun. So we did teach them and they took pictures of learning GO in small town America! They had never played before. I thought it was funny that they learned how to play in America. What a small world.

よろしくお願いします!

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

I'll definitely take some pictures once I get the chance. There are some Go Salons in my area but from what I heard from a friend, they are mostly an older crowd. I'm thinking of joining but I don't know if anyone my age frequent them..of course that said, there are Go clubs in high school and in universities. I saw a bunch of high school students playing go at a school festival I went to before. But I can kind of understand that most young people here don't really play go much. Usually they just go to karaoke or an izakaya (if they're of legal age), go shopping or go to a game arcade place (you can sing karaoke, read manga, play games/sports and video games there). Still I'll try and see if I can join a University Go Club too. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Anyway quite amazing that they learned their national (traditional?) game in America rather than back home. I'm quite happy that they were interested to learn more about Go though! Are they coming back?

PS. Ditto @ EdLee's comment :D

Post #6 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:49 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 19
KGS: virre
DGS: virre
OGS: virre
Welcome from Sweden,

also what is 'Izakaya', some kind of drinking establishment?

Post #7 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:58 am 
Lives in gote

Attachment:
1898678_623167094420147_976426671_o.jpg
1898678_623167094420147_976426671_o.jpg [ 310.21 KiB | Viewed 9668 times ]

For Ed and MMSoup Small town America is Walla Walla Washington.

I think the girls came more to say they played GO in America and send pictures on FB to their friends, than any serious interest in the game. Like when an American eats at a McDonalds for a taste of home in Japan. (If I was in Japan it would be a very long time before I missed American food with all that wonderful Japanese food) But we were glad to have them they were lots of fun they were only here for a 2 week exchange. Incidentally my experience in College with Japanese students was memorable. They were always interested in doing things that they had not done in Japan, and always seemed to make the most out of different situations. They were lots of fun.

See photo. Here is a link to our FB page we have more pictures from the club there. https://www.facebook.com/wallawallagoclub

Yes I have heard GO is not so popular with the young people. A shame but it is what it is. However you might find as a young person going to the GO salon you will get lots of support from the older players. I am sure the High school and the University clubs must be very competitive. So keep sharing keep playing, and may you always be nearly in tune when you Karaoke!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

This post by goTony was liked by: mmmsoup

Post #8 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 am 
Lives in gote

Attachment:
1378692_545297408873783_1750531886_n.jpg
1378692_545297408873783_1750531886_n.jpg [ 60.85 KiB | Viewed 9665 times ]

I have made several different fliers and experimented with different posters. I am not an artist but I kind of like how this one turned out I thought it was eye catching: I wanted the look of Japanese calligraphy --lol it may not have turned out that way but that is what gave me the idea. Club cards are in the GO Bowl.

Anthony

This post by goTony was liked by: mmmsoup

Post #9 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am 
Beginner

virre wrote:
Welcome from Sweden,

also what is 'Izakaya', some kind of drinking establishment?

Hello~ ^_^

Yep. It's a Japanese bar :) There's one right next to my apartment so I always hear lots of university students making a racket lol. I like izakayas but sometimes the master would place food I didn't order infront of me and I have to eat it as per custom. I once accidentally ate basashi (raw horsemeat) because of that.

This post by mmmsoup was liked by: goTony

Post #10 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:29 am 
Beginner

goTony wrote:

I have made several different fliers and experimented with different posters. I am not an artist but I kind of like how this one turned out I thought it was eye catching: I wanted the look of Japanese calligraphy --lol it may not have turned out that way but that is what gave me the idea. Club cards are in the GO Bowl.

OOOh!! That's a really nice poster! It looks great~ Very creative use of the Go bowl for the club cards ^^ Great job on the calligraphy. I'm sure tons of people will join you guys because of the poster.

goTony wrote:
I think the girls came more to say they played GO in America .......

Yes I have heard GO is not so popular with the young people. A shame but it is what it is. However you might find as a young person going to the GO salon you will get lots of support from the older players. I am sure the High school and the University clubs must be very competitive. So keep sharing keep playing, and may you always be nearly in tune when you Karaoke!

I see what you mean, I think they were excited to see people in America appreciate and love something from their country (of course also China and Korea). I'm happy to hear you had a great time though. I think especially when people here travel to different countries they get a kind of ..freedom? I guess? I don't know how to explain it. People in the US are more open and spontaneous than here so it's easy to make friends and also do exciting stuff. In Japan, usually there isn't much room for spontaneity. I was once at a hanami (flower viewing party) and lots of people were pissed drunk and just going crazy but right after the party everyone suddenly returned to business as usual (I don't mean like the next day btw, I mean like, instantly during the cleaning up of the picnic area). It was pretty funny XD

Also, I love karaoke so much I sometimes spend more than 4 hours at a time. And that's sometimes hitori-karaoke (one person karaoke) ;P

Post #11 Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 am 
Lives in gote

So you do not like raw horse meat? Lol

Anthony

Post #12 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 21
KGS: Rowen
Tygem: Kotaru
IGS: Rowen
Ill have to echo all the requests for pic's on the Go scene in Japan. Hikaru no Go was also my first look into the world of Go but I wasn't able to see it until last year. I'm much older now and time constraints eat into my Go studies.

I also love Japanese Culture and really anything to do with Japan - Anime, Manga, History, ect. I'm attempting to learn the language as well (its going very, very slowly) and can't wait to be able to read most things in Japanese (like the Nihon-kin site).

Welcome to 19x19 and Go!

Post #13 Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 am 
Beginner

goTony wrote:
So you do not like raw horse meat? Lol

The taste is actually not bad, but I don't like the idea of it. lol

Rowen wrote:
Ill have to echo all the requests for pic's on the Go scene in Japan. Hikaru no Go was also my first look into the world of Go but I wasn't able to see it until last year. I'm much older now and time constraints eat into my Go studies.

I also love Japanese Culture and really anything to do with Japan - Anime, Manga, History, ect. I'm attempting to learn the language as well (its going very, very slowly) and can't wait to be able to read most things in Japanese (like the Nihon-kin site).

Welcome to 19x19 and Go!

I love Hikaru no go! When it was still being serialized here, it made go so popular. However I think the interest has waned again in the last couple years...but hopefully more young people will be interested in it! :)

I'm happy to hear you're interested in Japan ^^ and it's great you're learning Japanese. I'm sure soon you will be able to read the Nihon-kin site too. Learning Kanji is a little troublesome though...even Japanese people sometimes can't read some characters.

Post #14 Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:13 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
hello, i,m new to this site so i thought i might introduce myself here!

Post subject:
Post #15 Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:22 pm 
Honinbo

americanflower wrote:
hello, i,m new to this site so i thought i might introduce myself here!
Welcome, and you can start your own introduction thread. :)

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post #16 Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:58 pm 
Beginner

Was liked: 0
Welcome, I am new too!