It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looks like I am the newest Newbie
Post #1 Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:19 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
Hello! I just signed up this evening.

I'm a lifelong board game player, and an on-again/off-again chess player. (I'm not very good, but I am fascinated by the game, its history and its literature.) About 10 years ago, I was drawn into a variety of Asian board games: Go, of course; Go-Muku; Xiangqi; Mahjong; Pai Gow; Luzhanqi; Do Shou Qi. I tried to get into Shogi, but I just couldn't clear the bar--I don't know why.

And, like everyone else, it seems, I was captivated by "Hikaru No Go."

Except for a few visits to the Seattle Go Center (a place I highly recommend!), I've not found anyone to play with face-to-face. I've read several beginner's books, and I've tinkered with some software, playing some games on 9x9 boards.

I was thinking of signing up for online play with real people, but I hesitate, for fear that I would just be wasting the time of more experienced players until I am more certain of the play of the game.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your consideration!
RMCTSJ

This post by rmctsj was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, emeraldemon

Post subject: Re: Looks like I am the newest Newbie
Post #2 Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Welcome.

Any suggestions? Yes, sign up. There will always be other weak players and there are plenty of bots online to play so that you can gain a rank and experience. I know KGS has dozens of bots at all levels of play.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:30 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
DrStraw wrote:
Welcome.

Any suggestions? Yes, sign up. There will always be other weak players and there are plenty of bots online to play so that you can gain a rank and experience. I know KGS has dozens of bots at all levels of play.

Thank you! I didn't know that there were bots on KGS. Is there any significant difference between KGS and Pandanet?

I know that in chess, one can learn a lot by playing against a software package such as Fritz. What about SmartGo? (https://www.smartgo.com/windows.html) Would that be a worthwhile investment?

Again, I am grateful for your consideration.

RMCTSJ

Post #4 Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:02 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 702
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Play go lots. You will improve.

Post subject:
Post #5 Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:29 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome. :)

Post #6 Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:09 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 19
Was liked: 16
KGS: lowlykyu
DGS: cornucopia
OGS: cornucopia
Welcome! I would also say to start playing as much games as possible. You will certainly improve. Good luck and most of all enjoy!

Post #7 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Lots of questions! IMO a good place to start is free and easy.

To play against a computer, you can download leela here for free: https://www.sjeng.org/leela.html

To play with people on a server, you can go to http://www.online-go.com and play without having to download anything.

There are lots of other alternatives for both go playing software and go servers, but what is best for you is largely a matter of personal preference. Everyone has an opinion, but the main thing is to find what you like and the way to do that is to get started playing. :)

Post #8 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:27 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Welcome!

As for advice, just start playing. You can find bots on the various servers (especially KGS), but I recommend playing people as well. Not because you can't learn a lot from bots (you can), but because there is something wonderful in connecting with other people through the game. You might not get this with anonymous games on a go server, but removing the inhibitions regarding playing other people is a good first step. Of course, so is participation here. :-)

A good book can also help make sense of the game, if you're so inclined.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:06 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 55
Universal go server handle: swannod
Welcome!

rmctsj wrote:
Hello! I just signed up this evening.

I'm a lifelong board game player, and an on-again/off-again chess player. (I'm not very good, but I am fascinated by the game, its history and its literature.) About 10 years ago, I was drawn into a variety of Asian board games: Go, of course; Go-Muku; Xiangqi; Mahjong; Pai Gow; Luzhanqi; Do Shou Qi. I tried to get into Shogi, but I just couldn't clear the bar--I don't know why.

And, like everyone else, it seems, I was captivated by "Hikaru No Go."

Except for a few visits to the Seattle Go Center (a place I highly recommend!), I've not found anyone to play with face-to-face. I've read several beginner's books, and I've tinkered with some software, playing some games on 9x9 boards.

I was thinking of signing up for online play with real people, but I hesitate, for fear that I would just be wasting the time of more experienced players until I am more certain of the play of the game.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your consideration!
RMCTSJ

You can easily find opponents at your level on many Go servers - you won't be wasting anyone's time. The handicap system also means that getting properly paired isn't that challenging. If you're just starting out PandaNet or OGS seem like fine servers.