It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi there from Surrey BC.
Post #1 Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:38 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
Hi all,

This is probably my second or third attempt at learning to play Go. I did attend the Vancouver Go club (10 - 15 years ago) but found that I was somewhat dismissed by the experienced players. I played, and lost, one 9 stone handicapped game and was then mostly ignored. I found that very demoralizing and gave up.

I am not currently playing games but reading and working through some problems on my phone. I do not know if I will ever end up playing people or just stay working on it on my own with a computer.

dharma_bum

This post by dharma_bum was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:23 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi dharma, welcome (back).

This post by EdLee was liked by: dharma_bum

Post subject: Re: Hi there from Surrey BC.
Post #3 Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:45 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
Hello dharma_bum,
dharma_bum wrote:
[..] I do not know if I will ever end up playing people [..]
if you can imagine playing a slooooooow and relaxed correspondence game on OGS, with appropriate handicap etc., then hit me up on OGS – online-go.com, my nickname is “trohde”, I’ll then create a challenge.

Greetings, Tom
still “on the road” of life, so to speak

Post #4 Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:35 pm 
Beginner

Bonobo wrote:
Hello dharma_bum,
dharma_bum wrote:
[..] I do not know if I will ever end up playing people [..]
if you can imagine playing a slooooooow and relaxed correspondence game on OGS, with appropriate handicap etc., then hit me up on OGS – online-go.com, my nickname is “trohde”, I’ll then create a challenge.

Greetings, Tom
still “on the road” of life, so to speak

Hi Tom,

I would like that but I really am a very beginner player at this stage having just relearned the rules. As long as it would not be too painful for you I will take you up on the offer.

Oody

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:50 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
dharma_bum wrote:
[..] I really am a very beginner player at this stage having just relearned the rules. As long as it would not be too painful for you I will take you up on the offer.

Heh, I don’t mind losing a game where I have given “too many” handicap stones :-) Let’s chat on OGS and we’ll find game settings that will allow both of us a challenging yet fun game.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:12 pm 
Beginner

Bonobo wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:
[..] I really am a very beginner player at this stage having just relearned the rules. As long as it would not be too painful for you I will take you up on the offer.

Heh, I don’t mind losing a game where I have given “too many” handicap stones :-) Let’s chat on OGS and we’ll find game settings that will allow both of us a challenging yet fun game.

Again thanks. I so appreciate your welcome and support. I'll reply on OGS later and take your suggestions as to settings. In doing problems right now, my only experience, I range from 29 - 25k so we will use that range as our level. We can also make it a ranking game.

I'll contact you later.

Oody

Post #7 Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Hey neighbor! Well almost... : ) Welcome back don't let that experience or being a novice discourage you. If you ever ever in our neck of the woods our little club would love to have you play regardless of strength.

What is your handle on OGS I will be happy to play a game or two, and I know a brand new player who is scared to play anyone else maybe I can get the two of you playing.

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

This post by goTony was liked by: Bonobo

Post #8 Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:18 pm 
Beginner

goTony wrote:
Hey neighbor! Well almost... : ) Welcome back don't let that experience or being a novice discourage you. If you ever ever in our neck of the woods our little club would love to have you play regardless of strength.

What is your handle on OGS I will be happy to play a game or two, and I know a brand new player who is scared to play anyone else maybe I can get the two of you playing.
''/

Hi Tony,

Sorry I have not been able to connect on OGS. Maybe you can send a game invite for me to reply to. I cannot seem to get one going. Also, I am more than happy meeting another new player. Please introduce us. OGS handle is dharma_bum.

Thanks.

Ehud