It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new to Utah
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
I moved to Utah recently - the Ogden area - & thought that Go might be a good way to meet folks here!

I first learned to play Go around 1980 when I was in graduate school. One of my housemates played - he'd learned from a Korean neighbor in El Paso, Texax!

I've never been a good Go player. These days I mostly play against robots on KGS. I'm probably even against Many Faces of Go 18 kyu. In the past I had registered and tried to play against people, but my crazy family life makes it very difficult to get a stretch of uninterrupted time. I'm thinking that if I was out of the house playing at a coffee shop or library or whatever, it should be easier to focus on the game. Anyway half the point is to get to know my neighbors.

Probably I will have to put up a poster and see if anybody wants to learn how to play! Even at 18 kyu, I can teach raw beginners!

This post by kukulaj was liked by: Waylon

Post subject: Re: new to Utah
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
ha here is a funny story. I was a visiting scientist at MIT in 1991. I went to a meeting of the MIT go club. At that time I knew nothing about ranking. There were just a couple folks who showed up to play. This young guy invited me to play and asked my rank and of course I replied that I had no idea. He told me he was 3 dan. Ha that was my introduction to ranking! Easy to imagine how I got utterly annihilated!

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:14 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Welcome.

You could start a Go club in your new neighborhood. :)

Post subject: Re: new to Utah
Post #4 Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Welcome to the forum! I've certainly had a few periods where the demands of life made it difficult to concentrate on go. My situation is nearly the opposite, though. I primarily play online because it's easier to sneak some time for myself in the evening than commit to regular attendance at a club (I am fortunate to have several near me).

I hope you are able to meet some folks in your area who share your enjoyment of the game!