It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So that's why I couldn't post my intro at GD...
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:03 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
I guess I had the misfortune of trying to join as the site was going down. Anyway, here is the long intro I meant to post:

Hello everybody

I've been lurking a little bit for the past few days on the forums and thought I should introduce myself (for reasons I'll talk about later).

I actually learned how to play Go a about 10 years ago when my grandfather came to visit my family from Korea. Starting with a 20+ stone handicap, over the course of a summer I had worked myself down to a 9 stone handicap when playing against him. Once he left, however, I found myself lacking my only real Go playing partner and teacher. I remember downloading some Go computer programs hoping that I would get better... but I only found myself confused and unaware how to proceed to improve. Unfortunately, I wasn't as Internet savvy then as I am now and so I didn't search for any resources beyond that of a computer program. That was how my journey almost came to an end.

Then after years of not thinking about it, a friend of mine suddenly brought up Go about two weeks ago. Ever since then, it's been on my mind and I even went out and bought a new goban and set of stones so I could play again. As I read up on the rules again and read various anecdotes and quotes about the game, I felt pretty moved when I read on Wikipedia that, "Go can be seen as embodying the quest for self-improvement -- 'man vs. self'. " I thought that was pretty cool.

I don't have anyone to really play with face-to-face at the moment (though I'm trying to convince friends around me to pick up the game). As a result, I figured playing on a Go server would be best for me. I really like the social and almost cooperative aspect of the game where players teach other how improve (which is why I'm done lurking).

Maybe it is because I am a medical student with a strong sense of pride and desire to always be the best, but I really dislike losing and not being the best. I guess that attitude helped me to get into medical school, but I can't help but see it as something I need to get over in my quest for self-improvement.

I haven't actually made an account on any of the Go servers because I am currently studying for the first part of my medical licensing exams (12+ hours of grueling study each day... yay!) However, once that's over with next week, I plan to start playing on the servers and hope to look forward to meeting people who can help me improve my total beginner's game.. and to help others once I improve.

Though I won't be able to play as often as I like since I'll be on the wards in 3 weeks, I hope to get as close to amateur dan level as possible however long that takes (I figure I'm still on the young side so I got some time and many, many games to play haha) ;)

IN SUMMARY: I don't have an account on any Go servers now, I will make one soon (probably with the same name). Please take good care of me! :D

(Sorry for the long post... I'm just enjoying my free time at the moment. I'll have an avatar up once I can find one that fits the dimensions)

Post subject: Re: So that's why I couldn't post my intro at GD...
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Welcome to the forum and hope your journey in the game of go moves you ever forward in your quest for self-improvement.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
Ah, a medical student...I think L19 member alejo was also one, and scsfello is a doctor as well though both don't post so much these days. My father is also a doctor (rheumatology) and to this day still wants me to become one (something about the first-born son in the past 9000 generations of our family tree being doctors or something like that :D). Anyways, welcome. I know the feeling of dislike for losing, I think it's what drives a lot of people to become very strong at this game although I've had quite some irritating experiences with some of these people types. You could say my burning desire for improvement isn't due to my dislike for losing, but rather to simply get past these sort of people - a never ending quest :).

When you have time and want to pick a server to play on, I would highly recommend KGS. I've written a handful of reviews for various Go servers here, which might be of interest to you.

Enjoy your stay!

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 1562
Was liked: 140
GD Posts: 892
Welcome!

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:03 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
Thanks for the welcome!

Helel wrote:
According to the proverb "There is no defeat in go". So it is at least a great way to learn how to be a loser. :twisted:

Welcome

I hope to adopt this kind of attitude when I go and follow the proverb that suggests I lose my first fifty (or is it a hundred? I forget) games :)
Araban wrote:
I know the feeling of dislike for losing, I think it's what drives a lot of people to become very strong at this game although I've had quite some irritating experiences with some of these people types. You could say my burning desire for improvement isn't due to my dislike for losing, but rather to simply get past these sort of people - a never ending quest :).

When you have time and want to pick a server to play on, I would highly recommend KGS. I've written a handful of reviews for various Go servers here, which might be of interest to you.

I hope I didn't come across as one of those people who spout off profanities and claim the other player is hacking or whatever when I said that I dislike losing :lol: My dislike of losing has manifested in the way how I am careful about picking and choosing my battles... perhaps too careful. I wonder how that will show up in the games I play...

Oh and thanks for the link to your comprehensive reviews. I'll probably join KGS next week once this awful studying nightmare ends.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:20 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 3
GD Posts: 446
Welcome to the forum and best wishes on those exams! :cool: