All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ASR website is down and this is strange
Post #1 Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 30
Universal go server handle: climu
Hi all.
Since the 15th december, the wordpress and league tools managing ASR is down.

According to the ASR team it is due to some weather event in India:

Quote:
Already since 2-3 days we had to notice an increased latency and packet loss as rescent severe weather events in India have resulted in damage to domestic and sub-sea fiber optic cables. – All major carriers are running on reduced capacity to Europe, North Amercia and Aasia

Curious as I am, I googled it and it happen to be copy/paste from digitalocean status page that report some issue regarding the Bangalore (India) server.

Here I started to feel strange because I recall pretty well that the DO droplet I set up was located in New York and the New York server is working just fine according to Digital Ocean status page.

On top of that I can still access the New York server over ssh@104.236.23.106. So this server is obviously not down.

It happen they change DNS so http://www.advancedstudyroom.org now point to 70.85.232.2 (whois link).
So they apparently change their hosting solution from DO to ThePlanet.com. Is it the real reason of the issue ?

And I wonder:
  • Why would they pretent it's a weather related issue while this is apparently not.
  • why would they let me a ssh access (with root powa) while I am banned from ASR and they threaten to put me in front court. For the record, I offered them many times to help them remove this ssh acces. They declined.

Post subject: Re: ASR website is down and this is strange
Post #2 Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
Can somebody help me put the palm of my hand on my face?

Post #3 Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:46 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
climu wrote:
[..] it happen to be copy/paste [..]
Sounds familiar.

Quote:
And I wonder:
  • Why would they pretent it's a weather related issue while this is apparently not.
Yeah, why on earth would a pretender pretend <scratch head> especially if the pretender has a history of pretense ;-)

Quote:
  • why would they let me a ssh access (with root powa) while I am banned from ASR and they threaten to put me in front court. For the record, I offered them many times to help them remove this ssh acces. They declined.
Well, first of all, a pretender pretends to himself that he has everything under control …

Post subject:
Post #4 Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:01 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Hi Java, Bonobo,

I don't understand what's happening.
Could someone explain in simple language what's going on ?
( Part of the reason is I have had zero experience with ASR. )
Thanks.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:01 am 
Oza

I never joined the ASR since I cannot dedicate more time to study, but I used to watch it from afar, with sympathy and some envy for its members.

I do have some experience with one of the persons (LinuxGooo, he also uses several other aliases) who currently run the ASR who had spammed on OGS perhaps two years ago or one-and-a-half, flooding chat channels and forum with links to his blog; when asked to stop it he became very aggressive and insulted people, and thus he was blocked; similar spamming happened on r/baduk (where then he was also blocked), in a Facebook group (ditto), and even here also.

Disclosure (is that the right word?): on OGS and in that Facebook group I was involved; in the other cases I only witnessed it (and I may have been one of the people who used the “report” button, I can’t remember 100% but I know that I do usually report such behaviour).

For some more info see this post by climu: viewtopic.php?p=209493#p209493

Post #6 Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 am 
Lives with ko

Almost 2 weeks without asr website now and digital ocean status page says the weather issue is fixed for some days now.

LinuxGoo always wanted to switch provider and I always warned him it wasn't that easy. I guess he tried...

@Bonobo: you got it right. I think I am just stating odd facts for people to realise the situation. It's probably not healthy and I should let it go.

@Edlee: Your question wasn't adress to me but I am just a former asr admin sad to see how ASR is going and pointing out wrong administration now. If you have any questions I am happy to answer.

I am thinking more and more about starting a new room but redoing all those work sounds hard.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:59 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 0
climu wrote:
I am thinking more and more about starting a new room but redoing all those work sounds hard.
I think you should start a new room. Current ASR is AWFUL.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:24 pm 
Oza

Allen wrote:
[..] Current ASR is AWFUL.
Allen, “awful” is a subjective word, a “black box”—could you please explain and describe? That would be nice more informative …

Thx ;-)

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
It was the "grinch" :)

http://www.advancedstudyroom.org/2016/1 ... s-rookies/

They need some technical help now... Obviously the new admins are a bit over their head.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:38 pm 
Oza

Interesting to see how they are now blaming “former volunteers” for allegedly buggy stuff and lack of documentation :-|

Post #11 Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:26 am 
Lives with ko

oren wrote:
It was the "grinch" :)

http://www.advancedstudyroom.org/2016/1 ... s-rookies/

They need some technical help now... Obviously the new admins are a bit over their head.

Yea, the grinch is a nightmare for every programmer during christmas times.

As for being over their head, it's obvious:

asr website wrote:
  • Defect in the cachelib file of WP_ASR plugin which was designed by former volunteers … herewith the content of the binary cache file cannot be built to create monthly the results table for each single league division.
  • Timer defect of the cron job which manages the automated crawler to pick up the games from KGS archive every 5 minutes – designed by former volunteers. The cron job keeps the crawler on standby (for more than 400 years) till coming into action again. A manual re-start of the crawlerseems not possible.
  • The SSL certificate (https://…) which worked well since November had blocked unexpected port 80 + 443… inspite the SSL certificate test went successfully after new installation. For now we set the ASR website back to regular http://… till we will have configured a new SSL certificate.

This just show how much they don't understand the tools they are using.
  • The caching system of the league results was something I was still working on when I left. I let the library (who seems to work) for futur programer but I remove usage before leaving to avoid issue. So unless they put it back which I doubt, It's not in use anyhow in the app.
  • It's not the cron job which keeps the crawler on standbye. It's the "scraper" that is designed not to run more than every 5 mins. Apparently there is an issue here.
  • Apparently they are just having trouble setting ssl on wordpress. This doesn't concern the league tools at all .

Bonobo wrote:
Interesting to see how they are now blaming “former volunteers” for allegedly buggy stuff and lack of documentation :-|

Yea, they are basicly using everything we built (all past asr admins for the community; usagi and I for the league tools and website) and keep blaming us for lack of professionalism.

The fun thing is that I would still be helping them over such technical issue if they haven't decide without explaining me that I am now banned from ASR.

The less fun thing is that I manage to get a deal for a year of monthly Guo Juan Teaching game which I cannot attend now... :(