It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestions for allowing games outside your class
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Flight
I just started in Epsilon and I've been unable to play a game so far because of lack of others to play. I know there are some good reasons why outside-class play is unreasonable, but these suggestions would make it less crazy. All these suggestions would still not allow players to play players in different levels (e.g. Gamma cannot play with Beta). I'm also not suggesting that all these suggestions be implemented, because that would be unreasonable. Just a healthy mix so that outside-class play is possible but doesn't detract from the league's core games.

Problem being addressed: If outside games were allowed, people with more free time would simply play all the time, caring little about win/loss, just to amass as many points as possible.

#1 Classes +-1

My first suggestion would be to allow players to play only one number above or below their. Epsilon I gets to play Epsilon XII (and vice versa).

#2 Reduced points

Obviously, to encourage players to play within their own class when possible, I think games played outside the class should be worth less (1,1.5 instead of 2,1)

#3 Limit games played outside class

Another way to prevent people from gaining too much an advantage from simply playing all the time would be to limit the number of games he/she is able to play outside the class. I think five is a reasonable number.

#4 Only 1 game with outside-class players

An alternative to the above suggestion (perhaps they can be combined) would be to limit games with players outside of one's class to only one per player.

#5 Omission from win percentage

It might also be fair to not count games with outside players in the win percentage, otherwise people might just seek

#5 One for one

This is another suggestion that would encourage players to play within their own class. For each outside-class game to count, they must have one game inside their class.

#6 Score cap

Now, this might be counter-intuitive, but this cap would probably be fairly high, but it would still be enough to prevent multiple people to just play all the time and try to constantly outdo each other's scores. If two or more players hit the cap, have win % determine result.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for allowing games outside your class
Post #2 Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
If you just started this month, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's only the first day of the month.