It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ASR tournament system
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 66
KGS: stalkor
The past month or so i have been working on a tournament system to implement in the ASR that invites players that are active for a longer period of time in the ASR league. The system will start to be used coming june and a tournament will be held 3x a year.
Quote:
Mission statement:
The tournament system’s goal is to make players more motivated to stay in the league. By reducing the number of dropouts we increase the pleasure the league has. For the player there is the addition of an extra long term goal and a reward for playing actively in the league.

System overview
The tournament system invites active players to participate in a special invitational tournament that is held every 4 months(January, May and September).
A tournament is a 1 or 2 day event with a varying rule setup but emphasizes on long and serious play. Invitation is issued when you are an active player in the league for more than 2 months in the 4 month cycle and is finalized when you are active the 3rd month in a row.

Invitation prerequisites:
Before a player gets invited to a tournament he must have reached the following prerequisites:
-Must be active in the ASR league in the first 2 months of the 4 month tournament cycle.
-Must have a clean record in the league.
-Must have a D++ rating.

Invitation is not a ticket to participation. To finalize your invitation and be able to participate, the player must also be active in the 3rd month of the cycle and must enroll for the tournament by PMing/leaving a message with the tournament director. warning: the TD must respond to a pm or there is a chance your enrollment is not read.

Even if a player meets all of the above it is possible the player still cannot participate due to the max number of entrants allowed in the tournament.

Invitation system:
In the beginning of the 3rd month of the cycle an invitation is sent to every player who meets the invitation prereqs by use of the leave message system on KGS. In an invitation the following things must be stated:
-When the tournament is held
-Link to the tournament page details
-The average class rank of the invited player
-Who to contact to accept invitation and enroll for the tournament

Signup limit
When a tournament reaches the signup limit the average class rank is the leading factor for placement. This means there is a list with more than the max number of players available to play. Players who don't make the cut get placed on a backup list if another player decides to withdraw from the tournament.

No show
When a player accepts the invitation they are expected to come to the tournament. In the event a player does not show up for the first round he is either replaced by a reserve player that is online or automatically forfeits his game 15 minutes after the clock has started.

If a player accepts but does not show this player will be banned from participating from the next tournament. the player can cancel his participation up to 24 hours before the tournament starts without getting a ban.

Enrollment:
the sign up system works on the average class a player has been placed in in the 3 months of activity. if a player has the same avg class then the total amount of points for games in those 3 months are a deciding factor. The threshold for being invited is having a D++ rating or higher.

in case the total points is equal, the deciding factor will be the win%.

Average class rating overview:
A (alpha/alpha/alpha)
B++ (alpha/alpha/beta)
B+ (alpha/beta/beta)
B (all beta, or a/b/g)
G++ (b/b/g)
G+ (b/g/g)
G (all g, or b/g/d)
D++ (g/g/d)
D+ (g/d/d)
D (all d)

Total amount of games:
Each layer has a different value for a game played, this means the higher you are the more points you score for a game.

Alpha: 4 points per game
Beta: 3 points per game
Gamma: 2 points per game
Delta: 1 point per game

Tournament types

14-15 September 2013: Knockout
?? January 2014: Swiss
?? May 2014: double elimination knockout

Ruleset
Boardsize: 19x19
Ruleset: Japanese
Komi: 6,5 points
Main time:30 minutes
Byo-Yomi: 5 period 30 seconds
Room: all games are played in the ASR
Color: Nigiri
Max entrants: 32 players
Round times: TBD. 3 rounds on saturday, 2 on sunday. each round starts with a 2,5 hour interval.
Tournament Directors: stalkor & leaves

Prizes
1st prize is €30 sponsored by ASR.

We do not have unending funds so please donate towards the ASR so we can continue doing these tournaments and improve our website and such!

A prize can not be exchanged for something else. In case of money prizes, we only have paypal at our disposal to send over the prizemoney. <b>NO PAYPAL = NO PRIZEMONEY! </b>

Tournament director

There is always an ASR admin on at all times when there is tournament going on. This admin is a tournament director or a replacement tournament director(TD). The main task of a TD is:

-available for disputes and handling no shows
-announce and start rounds on time

Note: this part is not posted on site but says what has been on my mind
Livestreaming

Livestreaming is a growing trend in the internet community. sites like twitch.tv stream giant events for a diversity of games like starcraft 2 or league of legends. With livestreaming you bring an event live to a viewer and it’s possible to combine viewing the game, reviewing, commenting and answering questions by viewers. It is also possible to invite players from the tournament into a skype call and interview them about the game or just get to know them a bit.

The idea is to at least live stream the finals and possibly the semi finals, depending on funds. Streaming requires the following things:

-A good and stable internet connection
-A streaming program (OBS or an equivalent)
-A decent mic.
-A slick layout for the stream

Since funds are limited the intention is to get a reasonably strong player to livestream the event. A pro is just too expensive to get for a tournament like this.

possible streamers:
-battoussai,
-frozensoul
-kazanari??

Example:
-player X plays in the league and is active for 2 months.
-player X gets an invitation to the tournament which states that the enrollment will be finalized when he/she is active for the 3rd month in a row.
-player X enrolls for tournament.
-player X is active in the 3rd month and the enrollment is finalized and he/she will be participating in the tournament in the 4th month.

Typical runthrough of a tournament:

before 3rd month: finalize tournament rules and setup.
3rd month: send invitations.
3rd month: announce to kgs the tournament is happening, ask if they would like to at least event the finals.
Beginning 4th month: Message all participants they have been formally accepted in the tournament. Also message reserves that they are formally accepted but on the reserve list in case someone drops out.
24 hours before: End of acceptance invites and cancelations.
24 hours before: Send message to all players to remind them of the first round starting at time xx:xx.
4 hours before: Enter players into kgs tournament system.
1 hour before: Announce round starting in 1 hour.
Tournament start: KGS automatically starts rounds at preset times.
Between rounds: keep players up to date, linking results, asking for donations, announcing next round etc.
End of tournament: Announce winner + post + give prizes + thank sponsors.

Loopholes
how do we deal with
-breaks? no games in results = 0 games = no invite
-drop out in alpha/beta then reseed a class lower (opt in with <4 games) <4 games in any month = no invite
-drop out with >4 games and rejoining in a lower class avg class will push you down the list

A system is never perfect but i still want to try and achieve something fair, fun and challenging without it getting overly complicated. I'm very interested in all of your opinions so bring it on!

http://www.advancedstudyroom.com/ASR/asr-tournament

Post subject: Re: ASR tournament system
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
I like this idea a lot. 4 times a year isn't too many, but not too little. The varying formats should keep things exciting for the given year. Rules are fine.

The only problem I foresee (which is mentioned in the post) is players not showing up. But that could be remedied by your method of choosing people for these tournaments.

Overall, I think it's a fantastic idea that will drum up interest. Improving is always a great goal, but I think giving players something to work towards is great. I know I'm interested!

:tmbup:

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 102
Was liked: 66
KGS: stalkor
hailthorn011 wrote:
I like this idea a lot. 4 times a year isn't too many, but not too little. The varying formats should keep things exciting for the given year. Rules are fine.

The only problem I foresee (which is mentioned in the post) is players not showing up. But that could be remedied by your method of choosing people for these tournaments.

Overall, I think it's a fantastic idea that will drum up interest. Improving is always a great goal, but I think giving players something to work towards is great. I know I'm interested!

:tmbup:

Its 3x per year.

Yes the problem is always the showing of players and i hope to remedy that for a big chunk by selecting active players and not "random" ones.

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
Sorry, dunno why I put 4. But yeah, it seems like this would be one of the better methods for doing it. I wouldn't mind doing something to help with this, even if it is just minor things.