It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Trolling 101
Post #21 Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
sybob wrote:
Hello DrStraw,

My earlier reply was directed to Kirby and was intended to cheer him up (as stated). Not to you.

As neither of us were not present when Kirby's manager told him about communication, both your and my view and opinion are irrelevant to Kirby. And never mind possible good intentions on your side, your "feeling" about this is even less relevant and may even be totally off the point.

I also think it is of no use bringing up your personal experience in this matter, as this topic revolves around Kirby and his live. Your personal experience may not be aligned towards his life. I can bring forward my experience (which often indicates a view opposite to yours is best suited), but that is also not relevant to Kirby in this matter. Unless perhaps if Kirby is your neighbor?

It is okay if we perhaps have different views, but let's not bother Kirby with that. That does not help him.

I do hope you do not disagree with me if I try to wish him well when saying "good luck".
So, I say again: good luck to you Kirby.

Regards all.

Actually BOTH of us were not present.

Please do not try to tell me not to give Kirby advice when I have experience in this area. I did not tell you to be quiet, merely disagreed with you based on my experience. I am trying to help out a fellow member of this forum by telling him that I think he is lucky to have a boss who cares. You are telling him that you think he has a boss who does not care.

Different opinions. Let Kirby read both and decide for himself.

Post #22 Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:16 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
A very nice speech, indeed.

Two small details, that I noticed:
- it is really an interesting fact (that I did not know before) that the dan system was introduced by a Go player. But I would not mention the name Dosaku, because it kind of asumes that the audiance has/should have heard of his name before.
- I would not repeat the TIC TOC at the end of the talk, because here it does not relate to a clock directly and at this point, the only association that I get is that life time is ticking away, and that is not a thought you want to trigger in your audiance ...

Let us know how this is progressing :-)

Post #23 Posted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:09 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

@sybob: I appreciate what your advice about not letting people talk down to you. I think it's good advice. It cheered me up :-)
@DrStraw: Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I think Toastmasters is a good program, which allows people to improve communication if they want to.

Regarding my boss, and the associated discussion... Probably it's best not to discuss this in such detail on a forum :-) My point in starting this thread was not to discuss my work life, but rather to share a few speeches I wrote. I explained a bit about how I got started with this, but I might have shared a bit too much.

@SpongeBob: Thanks for the tips. I pretty much agree, and felt a bit weird, especially about the TIC TOC part. I wanted something to tie different parts of the speech together, and that was the best I could think of. Like you mention, the only real connection that TIC TOC has was to the personal experience of playing during a tournament.

Post #24 Posted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
Kirby wrote:
@SpongeBob: Thanks for the tips. I pretty much agree, and felt a bit weird, especially about the TIC TOC part. I wanted something to tie different parts of the speech together, and that was the best I could think of. Like you mention, the only real connection that TIC TOC has was to the personal experience of playing during a tournament.

I liked the ticking at the beginning of the speech - it helps to get the audiences attention and makes it more dynamic.