It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: motto translation request
Post #1 Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:12 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
I'd like my go motto translated into three asian languages (Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Japanese). I'd like these done by go players to get the right sense, but I wouldn't want it to sound idiotic to a non-go player, either. :-)

"Play thick moves and read like the devil." (Or "play thickly and read like the devil" if that works out better.)

I'm willing to pay one or multiple people a reasonable fee. This is short, but it requires specialized vocabulary and some poetic sense and you may have to educate me on the options (for example, I know Japanese has more than one word for "thick" and it could be "devil" is problematic). So I'd be willing to compensate it as a page of text.

PM me if interested although you can volunteer something here if you are generous and it's trivial for you.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: motto translation request
Post #2 Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
How about Japanese: 厚く打つ一所懸命読む (atsuku utsu, isshokenmei yomu) Play thickly and read for dear life. "Isshokenmei" means with utmost effort, with all your might, desperately, for dear life, etc.

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
gowan wrote:
読む
Gowan (purely a question about Japanese): is 読む also overloaded with the Go-specific jargon meaning of "look ahead possible variations in your own mind" as in "read" in English?
(Kind of related question: in chess, in English, do they also use "read" as in Go? )

Post subject: Re:
Post #4 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
EdLee wrote:
gowan wrote:
読む
Gowan (purely a question about Japanese): is 読む also overloaded with the Go-specific jargon meaning of "look ahead possible variations in your own mind" as in "read" in English?
(Kind of related question: in chess, in English, do they also use "read" as in Go? )

I'm answering for gowan, but yes. One of my favorite phrases, since I do it so much is 勝手読み.

http://www.godictionary.net/term/katteyomi.html

When you read what you want to happen and not the better moves for your opponent.

Post subject: Re:
Post #5 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:50 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 38
Was liked: 35
EdLee wrote:
in chess, in English, do they also use "read" as in Go?

They usually say they 'calculate.'

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #6 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Koroviev wrote:
EdLee wrote:
in chess, in English, do they also use "read" as in Go?

They usually say they 'calculate.'

With a somewhat different meaning. Calculation is part of reading.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post subject:
Post #7 Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:00 pm 
Honinbo

Thanks, oren, Koroviev, Bill. :)
Follow-up question: etymology of this Go-specific meaning of "read" in English -- did it come from 読む or elsewhere?

Post #8 Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
gowan wrote:
How about Japanese: 厚く打つ一所懸命読む (atsuku utsu, isshokenmei yomu) Play thickly and read for dear life. "Isshokenmei" means with utmost effort, with all your might, desperately, for dear life, etc.

Thanks, gowan. It's interesting if it has a self-effacing sense to it, but I'm not sure that's what I'm going for. But it might grow on me.

For me, "read like the devil" really has this demon or impish sense. Not just that I try to see clever, devious things but that I expect my opponent will, too.

For others: Yes, "calculate" is okay. That's why I'm asking here. :)

Post subject: Re: Re:
Post #9 Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
oren wrote:
EdLee wrote:
gowan wrote:
読む

I'm answering for gowan, but yes. One of my favorite phrases, since I do it so much is 勝手読み.

http://www.godictionary.net/term/katteyomi.html

When you read what you want to happen and not the better moves for your opponent.

But see the discussion on SL of this term. ;-)

Post #10 Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:13 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Quote:
etymology of this Go-specific meaning of "read" in English -- did it come from 読む or elsewhere?

I took a quick look at Lasker's 1934 "Go and Gomoku." As far as I can see he never uses the word "read" or "reading". He mentions the analysis of positions, he once mentions foreseeing a complicated variation, and describes Karigane and Honinbo Shusai as "deliberating" or "considering" at points where we might say they were reading. Then on the very last page he quickly mentions "careful calculation of the different variations" and "calculation of a combination without glaring errors" as important skills for budding players. So I'm guessing neither the word nor the concept of "reading" was current in 1934. "The Game of Go" (1956) doesn't mention reading either.

"Go for beginners" (1974) seems to introduce reading on p. 62: "Occasionally we find a beginner tracing the path of a shicho with his finger... However, such boorish behavior is unnecessary. You can easily read out a shicho by eye alone..." But I don't see any evidence of it elsewhere in the book (again, after a quick skim), and some examples of describing what we call reading as "thinking ahead" or "seeing".

In 1975 James Davies started "Tesuji" with an essay on the importance of reading, and although he unfolds the status of reading, he does not seem to feel that the word itself will be strange to the reader. Reading is already familiar to the presumed audience of the first issue of Go World in 1977: "Nothing else can bring a game to so precipitate and humiliating a conclusion as a mistake in reading a ladder." Most of us are familiar with the strong emphasis on basic reading skills in "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", which is translated in 1978.

So on the basis of this sketchy review of some of the relevant sources, it seems that the term "reading" might have gone from completely unknown to a well known substitute for "calculation" by 1970, and then subsequently it became an important theme for writers/translators of Go books. But it's no use for me to speculate, I'm sure we have members who can serve as primary sources.

This post by jts was liked by: daniel_the_smith

Post subject:
Post #11 Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 pm 
Honinbo

snorri,
snorri wrote:
Play thick moves and read like the devil.
These are not direct translations (perhaps not even directly related),
but recently these two came to mind:
(1) 大道無門
(2) 鬼眼通身

Here are two calligraphy versions of (1):
Attachment:
s1.jpg
s1.jpg [ 33.38 KiB | Viewed 15546 times ]
Attachment:
s2.jpg
s2.jpg [ 74.15 KiB | Viewed 15546 times ]
The second one on the fan was by Fujisawa Hideyuki.

Post #12 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
snorri wrote:
"Play thick moves and read like the devil." (Or "play thickly and read like the devil" if that works out better.)

How about this in Chinese?
厚行魔算 "Thick Move, Devilish Calculation"

Maybe someone else could do better

This post by tchan001 was liked by: illluck

Post #13 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
tchan's translation feels quite good, but perhaps "魔" could be replaced with "鬼" since 鬼算 is an actual term in Chinese.

I suspect some sort of two phrases with 4/5/7 characters might work even better, but that is considerably beyond my ability.

Post #14 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
jts wrote:
Quote:
etymology of this Go-specific meaning of "read" in English -- did it come from 読む or elsewhere?

I took a quick look at Lasker's 1934 "Go and Gomoku." As far as I can see he never uses the word "read" or "reading". He mentions the analysis of positions, he once mentions foreseeing a complicated variation, and describes Karigane and Honinbo Shusai as "deliberating" or "considering" at points where we might say they were reading. Then on the very last page he quickly mentions "careful calculation of the different variations" and "calculation of a combination without glaring errors" as important skills for budding players. So I'm guessing neither the word nor the concept of "reading" was current in 1934. "The Game of Go" (1956) doesn't mention reading either.

"Go for beginners" (1974) seems to introduce reading on p. 62: "Occasionally we find a beginner tracing the path of a shicho with his finger... However, such boorish behavior is unnecessary. You can easily read out a shicho by eye alone..." But I don't see any evidence of it elsewhere in the book (again, after a quick skim), and some examples of describing what we call reading as "thinking ahead" or "seeing".

In 1975 James Davies started "Tesuji" with an essay on the importance of reading, and although he unfolds the status of reading, he does not seem to feel that the word itself will be strange to the reader. Reading is already familiar to the presumed audience of the first issue of Go World in 1977: "Nothing else can bring a game to so precipitate and humiliating a conclusion as a mistake in reading a ladder." Most of us are familiar with the strong emphasis on basic reading skills in "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", which is translated in 1978.

So on the basis of this sketchy review of some of the relevant sources, it seems that the term "reading" might have gone from completely unknown to a well known substitute for "calculation" by 1970, and then subsequently it became an important theme for writers/translators of Go books. But it's no use for me to speculate, I'm sure we have members who can serve as primary sources.

The term calculate is interesting in this context because the word comes from calculus which, in Latin, means stone :o However, it also has a meaning of working with numbers, and I'd think in a go context it would refer to counting points or the value of moves rather than exploring the results of sequences of moves.

Post #15 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:06 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
gowan wrote:
The term calculate is interesting in this context because the word comes from calculus which, in Latin, means stone :o However, it also has a meaning of working with numbers, and I'd think in a go context it would refer to counting points or the value of moves rather than exploring the results of sequences of moves.

Yes, but in chess "to calculate" is a term of art for more or less what we would call "to read" in Go. That's certainly where it comes from in "Go and Go Moku"... Lasker, at least initially, uses chess terms for just about everything (tempo for sente, combination for sequence or tactic, man for stone).

Post #16 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:17 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
jts wrote:
gowan wrote:

Yes, but in chess "to calculate" is a term of art for more or less what we would call "to read" in Go. That's certainly where it comes from in "Go and Go Moku"... Lasker, at least initially, uses chess terms for just about everything (tempo for sente, combination for sequence or tactic, man for stone).

Yes, we have to consider that the likely cause of the shift to "reading" was the translation of original source material from Japanese. See the use of 読み or ヨミ in book titles like:
三村智保の読みに強くなる秘訣 (NHK囲碁シリーズ)
実戦の読みを鍛える 玄妙 呉清源詰碁 (MYCOM囲碁ブックス)
加藤正夫3手のヨミ (布石) [単行本]
So to me there is nothing too interesting about the adoption of the term. However, this thread got me thinking (or worrying :blackeye:) about the effect of the term "reading" to describe the task of analyzing the future course of play. At least in my mind, "reading" has the implication of rather passively absorbing a static message already fixed on paper (or other media these days). I could not help but wonder to what extent conceptualizing what I do at the Go board as "reading" induces a relatively passive attitude and overconfidence that what I am visualizing is actually going to come about. Would I be better off as a player if I thought that what I was doing was "calculating" (à la chess) rather than "reading"? What do you think?

Post #17 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:31 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
illluck wrote:
tchan's translation feels quite good, but perhaps "魔" could be replaced with "鬼" since 鬼算 is an actual term in Chinese.

I suspect some sort of two phrases with 4/5/7 characters might work even better, but that is considerably beyond my ability.

鬼算 sounds more like divination (using the power of ghosts) than devilish calculation skills. lol

Personally if I didn't need to translate the devil part, I'd prefer to use the following:
厚行妙算 "thick moves, splendid calculation"

妙 as in the first character of 妙手 miaoshou "excellent move"

Post #18 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:11 pm 
Lives in sente

I think tchan is right. I was thinking of it as something like "魔鬼" and the Japanese kanji "oni", but by itself in Chinese it refers exclusively to ghosts.

Post #19 Posted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm 
Lives in sente

I took a stab at 5 characters.

棋厚始流光 (Thick moves radiate across the board, modified from 德厚流光)
苦思近痴狂 (Deep consideration bordering insanity)

I think this actually rhymes?

Post #20 Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 am 
Lives in sente

Apologies for triple post, but just had another idea:

棋厚可流光 (Thick moves can radiate across the board, modified from 德厚流光 - Deep virtue spreads widely)
苦算试发阳 (Deep/painful reading attempts to find subtleties, "发阳" refers to Igo Hatsuyoron)

I like this one even though it's wordier than tchan's phrase and also a somewhat liberal translation that drops the "like a devil" part. 阳 rhymes with 光 and also has similar meanings in isolation(Yang/Sun and light). The tonality also seems to work, though my elementary Chinese skills cannot say for sure.